Home General Discussion

your or you're ?

Daz
Daz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Daz polycounter lvl 18
I can't take it anymore. You know who you are. Boy, you are many, and many of you are VERY bright people. Heck, I know I slip up on occasion when I've had a few wee drams of Scotch too many and my spelling and punctuation go to shite. But bloody hell, I can't take this anymore.

ONE TIME ONLY KIDS:

Your = possessive. Example: 'I want to lick YOUR ( belongs to other ) lollipop'

You're = abbreviation of YOU ARE. Example: 'YOU'RE A TWAT!'

HELP ME OUT HERE MOP!!!

Oxy, Daveking, Grind, Pak, Tubboy and so many many more, please figure it out once and for all. Guilty as charged!

'nuff posting for me tonight. Bit hammered incase anyone hadn’t noticed.

Replies

• lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...Bit hammered incase anyone hadn’t noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now I understand where your Benny Hill rant comes from smile.gif
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    what annoys me more about this misuse is the ugly, clumsy text/net/cock abbreviation it has spawned : "ur". As in "Get Ur Freak On". Hardly trips off the tongue, does it. Urgh freak on?

people confusing "you're" with "your" seems to have also mixed up "U R" (you are) with "yr" (your ... as coined by Sonic Youth way back before the web even existed, so it's rock'n'roll). Hence "ur", one of the most evil, hateful, disease-racked terms ever to be shat over an LCD screen.

Oh, and "i could care less" makes NO sense either. COULDN'T, for fucks sake, COULDN'T.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Dan: Ahaha, that "care less" one always irritates the hell out of me... it's like they're saying the exact opposite of what they mean, without realising!

And yeah, what Daz said smile.gif
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh, and "i could care less" makes NO sense either. COULDN'T, for fucks sake, COULDN'T.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made that mistake a few years ago, back in high school. I forget what we were talking about, but I said to my friend:

"I could care less"
    "You mean 'I couldn't care less'?"
    "What?"
    "If you could care less, that means you at least care somewhat."
    "Oh yeah... but 'I couldn't care less' just doesn't sound right for some reason."
    "Well..."

Ever since, I always make sure to say "couldn't care less," but it still sounds a bit off.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Paul, would you be so kind as to continue where I left off with an informative rant about 'they're', 'there' and 'their' whilst I go to bed in a drunken stupor please?!

Thanks! ;-)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Daz! Join my gang!

Next I'm going to go mental on to/too.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and before someone comes along and says "People know wot I meen anywayz, so its not like its a big deal", I will say...

It is. It means that we have to translate your lazy bastardisation into real English so that we can understand it. So less effort on your part means more on ours.

And I still remember that someone works with people who are "FANAMINAL".
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed! That reminds me, as a kid, I moved around the UK a lot. I spent some time in the west country of England ( Devon ). Moving there from London, I came across this turn of phrase: "where's it to?". Which means "where is it?". WTF?! It used to get me in so many fights. I simply couldn't abide hearing such nonsense. Right, I'm really going to bed now! smile.gif
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Your and you're.
    Their, there, and they're.
    Its and it's.
    Then and than.
    Weather and whether.
    "Alot" and "a lot."
    Course and coarse.

And many, many more!

English is difficult. Cut these people some slack.
    Or beat them with a blunt ojbect untill they learn THEIR (or is it there? they're? - fuck me! I'm becoming stupid, too!) lesson.

Hahahahaha
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Uhh ohh the Spelling/Grammer police are out in force . Next comes the Butt Pirates ...wait ..they are butt pirates !
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you will find that it is grammar, not grammer.

:P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pogonip just got owned!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    'noone' is not a word either. it's 'no one'.

it's spell "necessary", "beautiful", "definitely".

"Abliviate" is not a word, it's spelled "obliviate".

'should of', 'would of', 'could of' are all WRONG. it is "should have", "would have", "could have". (this one is for III_Demon wink.gif )

their - possessive "The neighbors dog dug a hole under their fence."

there - indicating a place. "Set the bag over there."

they're - contraction of 'they' and 'are' "They're going to the concert."

its - possessive "The dog wagged its tail."

it's - a contraction of 'it' and 'is' "It's cold out today."

then - when something happened "First the man took off his hat, then his sunglasses."

than - compares or contrasts "HalfLife 2 runs better than Doom3."

weather - the conditions outside (rain, snow, sun...) "The weather outside today is sunny."

whether - an alternative "I don't care whether or not Paris Hilton's phone got hacked, quit giving her attention! She is not hot either."

know - to have knowledge of "Now you know and knowing is half the battle. G.I. Joe!"

no - a negative "No, we will not stop pointing out your ignorant grammar."

two - a number, it comes after one "That hooker charges two dollars."

to - a direction, or state of being "I went to the mountain to find myself."

too - in addition, more than enough "There are too many polygons in the face of your model."

u, ur, ne1, any1, wot, or any other forms of net-speak should be illegal as they dumb down the people who have a competent grasp of the language they speak.

if you don't know how to spell a word get a freaking dictionary! this is the bloody Information Age. you have the entire collected knowledge of human existence at your finger tips. an occasional mistake is excusable, consistant misuse is not tongue.gif

You. Have. No. Excuse.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I would just like to add that this stuff irritates me, too. laugh.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    asking for correct spelling and punctuation on the web is retarded and pointless.

And Daz, I'm from cornwall and "wheres it to" is called d-i-a-l-e-c-t, the whole english language is based on quirks and oddities so get off your horse.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    asherr - good job you pointed out that an occasional mistake is excusable, right before you misspelt consistent.

ho ho ho
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    asking for correct spelling and punctuation on the web is retarded and pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    What the fuch(sp?)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't mind it if English isn't your first language, but when it is, it's just plain laziness (unless you have a medical condition like dyslexia or something similar) if you use bad grammar and spelling on the internet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's all about presentation - if you were talking to some people and they kept on mumbling words, making you have to concentrate really hard to work out what they were saying, you'd probably get a bit annoyed. It's exactly the same thing on the 'net - I don't like to have to translate every other word back into legibility.

It generally doesn't make a good impression if you go round saying "plz crit my portfoilo of 3d work, ive done alot and want an indsutry job now"...

There's too much apathy these days!
  • Soul_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soul_Reaper polycounter lvl 18
    Hints on pronunciation for foreigners
    George Bernard Shaw

I take it you already know
    of tough and bough and cough and dough.
    Others may stumble, but not you,
    On hiccough, thorough, laugh and through.
    Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
    To learn of less familiar traps.

Beware of heard, a dreadful word
    That looks like beard and sounds like bird.
    And dead-it's said like bed, not bead.
    For goodness sake, don't call it deed!
    Watch out for meat and great and threat.
    They rhyme with suite and straight and debt.

A moth is not a moth in mother,
    Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
    And here is not a match for there,
    Nor dear and fear for pear and bear.
    And then there's dose and rose and lose
    Just look them up--and goose and choose.
    And cork and work and card and ward.
    And font and front and word and sword.
    And do and go, then thwart and cart.
    Come, come I've hardly made a start.

A dreadful language? Man alive,
    I'd mastered it when I was five!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't mind it if English isn't your first language,

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in the special case of 'you are' and 'your' it is more likely that a native speaker does it because of lazyness, than a non native, I think. (because they learned english with more grammar than native speakers).

But actually I think it isn't really worth to talk about... it is (in most cases) clear what the writer ment.

BTW: @KeyserSoze: Do you play TrueCombat:Elite? I think I recently saw you on a server (my nick is "Jules").
    To the others: it's a great mod for the free game EnemyTerritory, try it wink.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...Grind...and so many many more, please figure it out once and for all. Guilty as charged!

[/ QUOTE ]

Guilty. I know the difference, it's just a matter of how fast I'm typing. Sometimes I type completely unrelated words all together. I normally look back and edit every post I make.

YOUR ALL IDIOT'S! Their, I said it. Its done.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    what about UR?
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Daz, even worse, in my opinion, are people who type "ur" instead.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    Alot of u miss spell 'seperate' its 'separate' damned it!

Damn u kids and your ghetto blasters with snoopy snoop snoop, mak'n ya think gang banger taulk is kewl.

[Edit]Note the sarcasm and irony....I already know I can't speal shit[/Edit]
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I send all my text to my wife to proof! Before my text gets translated and posted on the boards, most of my stuff just looks like “BoBo art good” and “uhg BoBo like”.

- BoBo
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I'm tired of people who abliterate the English language as well wink.gif
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    wtf r u saying ur benig a speling natsi
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    AZ: The word you're seaching for is "pervert"...

Those phonetic replacements are really annoying but especially ones like "U" get on my nerves. At least I read "their" and "there" in the same way but as a German I read "U" as oo. Makes me think "Whoa, is this guy some kinda monkey or why's he talking like a caveman"?
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Misspelling and poor grammar on the internet are an inexorable force of nature. You might as well go outside and yell at the ocean to stop making waves.

I don't think it's pointless though, it's great for releasing stress. wink.gif
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Lets not forget effect and affect here people wink.gif

I am one with the spelling nazis. Sure, I mispell things once in a while (my weakness is doubling up consonants) but when it's these common everyday-- nay, every-hour, every-minute words, then you're just being lazy.

For those who claim it is pointless to argue about net-grammar. That is true, since the majority of people will just virtually flip you off and call you a moron. That doesn't mean that it's a non-issue though. Your text is all I see of you, make sure it's something you're proud of. Surely you wouldn't go hang out with your friends dressed as a gradeschooler or a hobo, would you? wink.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Asthane nails it smile.gif

Rockstar, too funny!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And Daz, I'm from cornwall

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah so, that explains it! Yeah, I went to Art college in Cornwall. I know all about the 'd-i-a-l-e-c-t' thanks. I still think it's lazy and retarded.

Quirks and oddities of the English language as far as I see them are things like the fact there are so many multiple uses of the same word that are ( whilst perhaps spelt differently ) pronounced the same. Incorrect usage of the language is NOT a quirk or oddity! I'm not on a high horse here. If you read my initial post I freely admitted to fucking up spelling on occasion, but the 'your' and 'you're' thing. No way, enough is enough. I see it at work all day and I see it on this board and it drives me crazy. It's not rocket science. As people have pointed out, I'm sure as hell not going to look at work for review If it's written in hardcore intramaweb speak.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    So does Dyslexia = Retarded and Lazy?

I think you all need to rewrite the dictionary!

YOU GRAMMER WHORES!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary, I already covered that base. I said as long as you don't have a medical condition causing problems with spelling and grammar, THEN it's just laziness. I never said retarded. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

And next time, read before you post. It saves a lot of hassle. Like me having to "clarify" myself here to protect against your mindless argumentative state of being. Read and digest, think, and THEN post. Don't just post something because you feel bored. That sort of thing leads to irritation on all sides.

Thanks.

MoP
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    asherr blew it when he put 'spell' instead of 'spelt'
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Although he clearly didn't read the earlier posts, to be fair, he probably said 'lazy and retarded' in response to me using it. I despise prolific and ill fitting use of the word retarded actually, and only threw it back at Hawken for using it on me. Or something.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    By the way, I was hoping this thread could remain civil. If I came across as arrogant or on a 'high horse', that wasn't my intent. It was more of an announcement of a personal pet hate and was meant to be taken somewhat lightheartedly.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    what Daz said.
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I'm guilty as charged. I would like to show you another point of view on this subject though; Even though I know the difference between "your", "you're" and the like, I mix them up all the time. I'm not even going to mention any other language atrocities I've commited, because a simple click on the search button will suffice. But it's not like I'm not doing my best to formulate my messages carefully. I often refrained myself from posting, because I couldn't find the words to explain my opinions thoroughly. I've actually asked my sister DemonPrincess to stop pointing out mistakes in my messages, because I was ending up editing and rewriting all my posts. She had good intentions with it, but it had such a negative impact on my confidence I once stopped posting all together. I'm trying to become more involved in the polycount community again, but sometimes I have the feeling I've been away to long and lost the touch with the community.

On a side note: I'm not a native speaker of the English language, but I'm not a dyslexic.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I blame auto-correct features in Works and Word and whatnot. ;p
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Tes: English isn't your native language, so you're excused. Hell, you should be asking us to learn to type Dutch. It's enough that you're using English at all - it shows you're putting the effort into communication. If it was a British or American person on a Dutch messageboard, they'd probably just demand everyone spoke English so they could understand smile.gif

The effort is what matters - it shows you care about what you want to say.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure Daz, you're English seems a little off on you're website. wink.gif
    http://home.comcast.net/~dpattenden/about.htm
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    bahahah! Bastard! smile.gif
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    @MoP: I guess you're right. Actually, when I visit a Dutch forum it's always a bit of a culture shock. I don't understand Dutch net speak, because I'm always hanging around on English forums. I'm also a member at a Danish forum (don't ask me why) and already picked up a few lines of Danish. poly107.gif

BTW: Ever noticed that the words "piece" and "weird" are commonly misspelled as "peice" and "wierd"?
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    [edit: bah! My discourse on affect vs. effect has been covered already!]
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Totally like whatever, you know?
    By Taylor Mali
    www.taylormali.com

In case you hadn't noticed,
    it has somehow become uncool
    to sound like you know what you're talking about?
    Or believe strongly in what you're saying?
    Invisible question marks and parenthetical (you know?)'s
    have been attaching themselves to the ends of our sentences?
    Even when those sentences aren't, like, questions? You know?

Declarative sentences - so-called
    because they used to, like, DECLARE things to be true
    as opposed to other things which were, like, not -
    have been infected by a totally hip
    and tragically cool interrogative tone? You know?
    Like, don't think I'm uncool just because I've noticed this;
    this is just like the word on the street, you know?
    It's like what I've heard?
    I have nothing personally invested in my own opinions, okay?
    I'm just inviting you to join me in my uncertainty?

What has happened to our conviction?
    Where are the limbs out on which we once walked?
    Have they been, like, chopped down
    with the rest of the rain forest?
    Or do we have, like, nothing to say?
    Has society become so, like, totally . . .
    I mean absolutely . . . You know?
    That we've just gotten to the point where it's just, like . . .
    whatever!

And so actually our disarticulation . . . ness
    is just a clever sort of . . . thing
    to disguise the fact that we've become
    the most aggressively inarticulate generation
    to come along since . . .
    you know, a long, long time ago!

I entreat you, I implore you, I exhort you,
    I challenge you: To speak with conviction.
    To say what you believe in a manner that bespeaks
    the determination with which you believe it.
    Because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker,
    it is not enough these days to simply QUESTION AUTHORITY.
    You have to speak with it, too.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yea, I'm tired of people who abliterate the English language as well wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It saddens me to think that everyone missed my [kinda subtle] jab at Tu ... errrr ... what's-its'-name.... frown.gif