Home General Discussion

Challenge idea?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
Since the contest and challenges is being neglected, I was thinking that maybe a nice short challenge might be in order. Note, that said challenge, not contest. No prizes, no winners or losers, just a skill builder. Basic idea I had in mind (no, I haven't put a grand amount of thought into this..) was a St Patrick's day theme and have it end on St Patrick's day, the 17th of March. Possibly model a 5K poly leprechaun or something silly.

What say you?

Replies

• JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds fun. Need a jolly competition.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I was thinking that you guys could do a challenge that models the entire cast of a film, say, Labyrinth for example. set poly limits and texture limits for each character, also let backgrounds be built as part of the challenge with poly and texture limits.

You could list the cast then have them crossed off as each one gets completed. The winner is the one who builds to the highest degree / most quality models and gets a custom title.

whee! I'd help run it with someone if it sounds good.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    sounds like a plan. i just wish there was some way to promote the challenges, as they tend to fade out quickly. and the polygon requires often scare people away.

[ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking that you guys could do a challenge that models the entire cast of a film

[/ QUOTE ]

You're crazy. It's difficult enough to finish one character.

On the other hand, I had an idea about creating a team. The guideline is you have to model a team of players, maybe 5 or 6. The team idea is open-ended. Each character is unique, but the outfits or design must have that team/squad similarity.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, a green gargoyle with a large clover stuck up his urethura

good plan
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I'd vote for anime chicks, just so I have any chance at all to compete tongue.gif.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    "I'd vote for anime chicks, just so I have any chance at all to compete ."

have some creativity, comeon....

an anime leprechaun, in drag. smile.gifsmile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    That'd be phase two of the thought process.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda' like the leprechaun idea myself. Would be fun modelling the evil little shit from the Leprechaun movies.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The leprechaun idea is looking rather sexy, considering the posted alternatives. I'd be down with that. But, need to get it started soon!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Since the contest and challenges is being neglected,

[/ QUOTE ]

ahah is that a not very subtle hint Kub? smile.gif Sorry guys I just got wrapped up in other stuff. I promise I will kick off the actor likeness contest imminently. Or is this happening instead now? Or is there room for both?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

You're crazy. It's difficult enough to finish one character.

[/ QUOTE ]

but what if everyone was doing a different character? surely theres enough for everyone to take a stab at, then we could stage them all together.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaZ: hahahaha. I figured you had gotten busy, ya big lug. =] That was in no way a shot at you. You know if it was, I would have just aimed directly at ya. =] And yah, I would hope that they could run at the same time [see post below by me]

Nah, this was just another one of the random ideas that floated through my head during the day.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I've been moving house :P

Which by the way, I'm happy, cos we are now renting a 2bedroom waterfront apartment in an area that is just restaurants and pubs.

I should have net in a week or so.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, so how about we try something here. I've seen this done on several other boards and it seems to be a pretty damn good learning tool, from what I can tell.

Do a weekly challenge with "loose" limitations.
    Example would be: an elf with a 2500 poly budget, 1 512x512 map, bump and spec optional.

I see this as an opportunity for those aspiring to be in the game industry to start to learn to work with and around restrictions and learn how to deal with limitations; time limitations, poly budgets, map budgets. I think eliminating the "contest" and competition part is a good thing.

Once again, this is all just brainstorming. I really like the thought of a semi-structured learning tool other than just the P&P forums.

Get back on line more Rick, damnit! =]
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    sounds like a great idea to me, I'm game
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weeklies are great! I always participate on one in an illustration forum that I visit.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK Hawk, since you volunteered earlier, why don't you line us up the first one and we can smooth things out from there. Try and shoot for starting next monday then?
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    id love to do some more challenges and contests...just for skill building.

Only prob for the brainless amoungst us (myself blush.gif) is that the titles/subjects you use to name your contests don't really have a meaning to me,like the elemental one...I knew elemental can mean like earth,water,air,fire...but couldn't really figure it out what you guys ment. in your first post in the challenge section you really should spell it out...give people like myself a chance ay? grin.gif

john
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we should set this up similar to cgtalk's daily sketch thread. but instead call it a weekly game art thread. each monday post a topic and guideline, and have the deadline be sunday night. while the next topic begins, polycounters can vote for their favorite from the previous week. the winner can have an image posted on the polycount front page...or something. a chance to build skill and reputation would attract many participants. ideas for topics and guidelines can be suggested in a seperate sticky thread.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that sounds good.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindy put what I had in mind into much better words. Thanks. =] Soo...I assume to start we need a topic. We can start this one now-ish and have it end next Sunday so we can sort of do a trial run through the first time and see how it goes and how many people participate.

So, pick a topic and some guidlines and let's get moving! go go go!
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Berkub/GX - This sounds pretty cool ... where and when ? smile.gif

Daz - get that likeness thing going!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i like the idea of weekly learning topics. kinda like an online 3d class. smaller challenges to not only help learn but just to get some people pushing polies on a more regular basis, cause you know, some of us do more sitting and thinking about what we want to do than doing it wink.gif and it'll add some variety to some peoples' work wink.gif

i like a looser restrictions idea as well. not everyone has time for 3 1024x1024 maps and 7000 polies or whatnot. like class assignments, there are minimum requirments and it's up to the student how much effor they want to put in.

bigger challenges are good when someone can get the time and get everything coordinated but i think the formality and some advanced requirements put people off. more informal weekly "assignments" let people pop in and out of it as they have time. and with the poll system we have a way to cast votes fairly easily. then the 'winner' can get a pic of the day.

anyway, i like the Elf @ 2500, 1 512x512 map idea
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm totally up for this idea. One request though: Keep a nice broad range per contest. What I mean is one test be a character, the next a set of level props, then a character, then a building, etc... It'll give people a chance to really broaden their portfolios.
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    ideas:

a car.
    a fire hydrant that expresses an emotion.
    a simple particle effect in the 3d app of their choice. [a firework explosion]
    a doctor suess inspired machine.
    a 3d representation of a proverb, like time flies you'd do a clock with wings.
    a plate of food. [try to model broccolli, i dare ya]
    a space ninja leperkchaun.
    a themed santa.. a WoW Santa.
    a piece of architecture from fred flintstone's world.
    a modern take on any atari 2600 game charcater or villian.
    a version of the polycount logo in 3d.
    bearkub.
    a cartoon computer virus.
    a cannon from atlantis.
    the door to a clown's purgatory.
    a green monkey with a penis.
    redo the gravity gun from hl2.
  • Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    I miss the 24hr skin challenge.
    Maybe the winning model could be used for the basis for that challenge?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    texture challenges:
    themed 5 pack
    128x128
    single theme floor / wall textures that could be released as a PC texture pack

vehicle models
    alternative fuel vehicle (creative interpretation)
    rocket car
    retro
    hazardous materials transport
    dangerous creature transport
    mutated-animal powered / drawn / pushed carriage

creatures
    based on existing creatures, add mutations that would suggest the creature has adapted to an environment it previouslt could / would not exist in
    alien creature that exists in an evironment that does not exist on earth
    a creature that can fly

buildings
    an existing well known building
    a minimalist building
    a building that looks like it is in motion
    a building based on the future according the 50's (or any past time period)
    a home designed to hang from / on a cliff face
    a home designed to hang from overhead suspension
    a building designed for multiple VTOL crafts to park within it
    a large building with a park / courtyard within it
    a structure designed to blend into the landscape

plants
    a plant that eats small insects by trapping them

characters
    anything that's NOT in the general shape or form of a damn generic human
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Go! Go! Go!

I'm supposed to have broadband in 8 days, so I can help out after then. It really does need a couple of full time people though.

I suggest that a sticky thread is kept with a list of ALL upcoming challenges - their dates and a 1 line description. Then each time a new one begins there is a sticky created with the details for it.

Keep each one to a one week challenge.

When there are big ones with prizes, suspend the weekly ones for a month or whatever.

Have some feed off each other - like at one stage a concept challenge. A few weeks later the best/favourite concept is to be modelled. A few weeks later the best model is to be textured. Then get it into a game.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    texture challenges:
    themed 5 pack
    128x128
    single theme floor / wall textures that could be released as a PC texture pack

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE THAT IDEA GO GO GO GO GO. Seriously that would be pimpin. I'd be in for at least one, but probably a 256 would be a better idea, what would you use the 128's for?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots of great ideas flowing now. I can't wait!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Have some feed off each other - like at one stage a concept challenge. A few weeks later the best/favourite concept is to be modelled. A few weeks later the best model is to be textured. Then get it into a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea Rick. I like the sound of that!
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, well at least it looks like there is some general interest in this. I still would like to hear any "No, I don't like it, this is a really stupid idea" that may exist.

I am probably going to wait on this until I gather some more opinions or whatever so keep em coming.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We were giving you a hard in #md last night kub. The main arguement I had was:

If you make strict rules like...you must make this, from this, using this...you're going to have fewer participants.

With topics like r13's and flaagan's, there's more room for creativity. BUT...once there is interest in the weekly sessions, it would be cool to throw in some topics that are more focused on strict industry style guidelines.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I think this was mentioned before , but it would be good to sort of be able to work in groups or team up for some stuff ... maybe make a small group of 3 - 5 against another few small groups ... mainly this would help those of us who never get to work with others , to learn from them first hand , and work together to create somthing ... probly hard to orginise as well tho :S
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    ive had an idea for a while in which we would have to create a "Boss" character, and place him in a pre-made arena. something circular and enclosed ala metroid prime or legend of zelda.

id love to make a giant boss character, lots of creative potential.
  • bearkub