Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Suggestion] About HEAJ members posts

Replies

• Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    you should definately look at the artistic sides of things , maybe you can get your teacher to arrange some life drawing classes ? im definate it would help ...
    persoaly i dont have a problem with lots of seperate threads in p&p for HEAJ, but if lots of ppl complain , maybe a thing like the contest threads could be set up , i think thats what cheap alert said .
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    Studies have an artistic side, most of students don't, or seems not to want it, it's a pity. (and we have life drawing lessons every week). One thing is that I don't wan't to be categorized 'heaj student', I'm just a user of polycount just like everybody else. If the others want to do so they can, but I will not.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    don't worry about that Brice, We havn't HEAJ tattooed on the forehead smile.gif People are intelligent enough to not make generalization and just look at the work you provide.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Studies have an artistic side, most of students don't, or seems not to want it, it's a pity. (and we have life drawing lessons every week).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that is a pity, the HEAJ Quake characters I've seen so far generally tend to reflect the level or artistic knowledge/interest that the individual making it has. Its also a characteristic of anyone doing any sort of game art, so, yeah, for those people who are really interested in becoming game artists over there at HEAJ, suggest to them that they really brush up on their art skills. If they really aren't interested in the traditional/artistic side of things...ask them why they feel they will become good game artists if they refuse to learn simple artistic ideas.

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing is that I don't wan't to be categorized 'heaj student', I'm just a user of polycount just like everybody else. If the others want to do so they can, but I will not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just make sure that sentiment doesn't turn into elitism. Your fellow classmates will not feel particularly happy if it does.
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    Does it really matter what school these guys go to?
    They're posting models for C&C, just like everybody else.
    If you're not happy with the number of new users, dont post on their threads - there's no need to be unpleasant about it...
  • beewap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beewap polycounter lvl 18
    Thx all for your supports wink.gif
    We want objective critics and which we will help to improve us.
    So, see you later on our next thread wink.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    ok this is cool,im of split opinion but i welcome you guys to PC anyway smile.gif.

I do have a question about the course,do you do any envirometal art?...level assets,chairs/tables,buildings,maybe even a corridor or two?

just curious smile.gif

john
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    yes, but mostly for a ps2 engine. And also some Unreal level design soon.
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    Bentic,

As a UT2004 modeler, I can't wait to see the models coming out from your school.

I have only one request... Please have team colors in your textures. It's one of the great things that were implemented for the UT2004. I hate testing bots and models when I can't know on what team they are on.

Keep it coming!
    Vive le vie!

Etienne
  • beewap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne,
    I don't thing that our UT 2004 model would have a team color. We'll make textures according to the model.
    Perhaps that some students will make blue or red textures, but it isn't obligatory.
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making team colors is VERY easy.
    I've made team color within 15minture once the first texture was done.

See my website.
    http://www.whiteink-studio.com/
    I done the team color of the UT2003 model of Soria, and when UT2004 came out, I finished the animations for her.

Just add some red, and the blue in different textures with the same name. add _0 (red) and _1 (blue). The UT engine then takes care of the rest. VERY EASY.

It's not like I'm asking for Cell Shading or other complicated material options. Team colors should be obligatory.

beewap: Are you the teacher?

Well, I can't wait to see the models in action.

Etienne
  • LeJomphe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeJomphe polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to the Polycount. Having a class show their work on the boards is a novel idea... makes me wish we'd had high schools like yours waay back when. It will be interesting to see how the class progresses.

Oh, and it would be fun to see your teacher post some of his work too tongue.gif .
  • beewap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne: I'm not the teacher, i'm a student wink.gif

I know that the team color is easy to make, but that depends on the model and the desires of people. For example, my model, is an animal model without armours, some cloths, ornaments and so on. At the moment, i don't think that my model will have team color, but, if i do that, you will be the informed first wink.gif
  • FX Melard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FX Melard polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Guys, I'm the little teacher.

I really didn't know that it would have such an impact on the forum. I realize now that it would have been nice to tell you something about it before it happens, my apologizes for that. And thanks a lot to most of you who have welcome us so well!

This is a really good experience for the students to post here, what a great feedback! The most important thing that comes out is the overall lack of anatomy references. I've also taken good notes of the way you prefere things to be shown here (100% self illumination, wireframe, front, side and back view, THX Slash ;-)).

For the next work (UT2k4 Creature), I'll send the briefing, so you'll see exactly what was the subject of the "exercice". For the Q3 model, it was mainly separetad meshes, a human figure, with a "nice face" (no monster), and the re-use of an existing skeleton and animations. (that's also why arms are sometime too long)

-> Bobo
    What do you think is the best solution for the HEAJ guys to post wip of their UT2004 Character?
    - We can try one big thread this time, to see how it goes?

-> ghost_rider
    I've suggest polycount because it the best video game forum I know, with a "professionnal" and talented community smile.gif The work shown here is very inspiring for me, and for what I've heard, a lot of the students have become polycount fans too.

-> JBoskma
    I understand your point of view. Showing first job here may be a risk, but it also allows to show some magnificient progress. People from HEAJ video game art lessons are in the middle of their first year (there are two). I also think that there are also good stuff in the first works shown heren not only bad things.

-> Bentic
    Thanks man. Yeah I find great for you to have feedback from outside too.

-> M. Mathis
    Great Job by the way! Your ZB stuff are awesome!

-> lkraan
    I'll post here some work too!

-> Marine
    Yeah what we call "High School" here is what you call College. So students are between about 19 and 24.

-> Thermidor + Illusion
    Agree with you, art skills are the base for me too. Your feedback on that is very important, thanks.

-> Etienne
    great suggestion and thx for the link ;-)
  • Ribking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ribking polycounter lvl 18
    It'll be awesome to see these 30 or so high school students after a year of C&C from PC. Looking forward to watching your progress, HEAJ.
  • KdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KdS polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    a lot of the students have become polycount fans too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes 8-)

I didn't know this forum and I had to say to all of you that it is a real pleasure to come everyday and taking a look at new posts.

(Of course my own thread is a bit deserted but anyway frown.gif ...thx to you all and Long Life to Polycount smile.gif )
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FX:

Unless you are Wilow, a teracher can't say he is little! (I'm saying this as a teacher myself ... darn ... I'm a student ... and a teacher ...)

When are your students starting to work on the UT2004 model? And what kind of hosting will they get? Your students might want to look for a place where to can have their model hosted somewhere so we can test them here too.

If they can't or don't want to, they should show images of the characters in game.

What sckeleton will they be using? The normal male rig? or something more complicated?

What software do you students have access too?

Etienne
    Dakeshimetai
  • Bentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bentic polycounter lvl 18
    Hello Etienne

No, our teacher isn't little at all ! (he's measuring almost 2 meters high tongue.gif but I'm also talking about his skills wink.gif )

We're currently finishing the image planes for the UT2004 model, and beginning the modelling. I don't know if we'll make our models available, maybe some of us would want it, but I think it won't be available before the end of the schoolyear (at least for some of them), because some of us are using an existing skeleton from the game, but others will make their own skeleton, so it won't be playable before all the animations are done (we have to do it even for an existing skeleton, as an exercise).
    But don't worry, ingame screenshots are planned.

For the software we use, all the latest versions of 3ds max, maya, photoshop, painter are available. There is of course UnrealEd, and proprietary software for the PS2 engine we're working with. Other programs are also available, but we use them less, they are mostly used by the other sections of the school (ZBrush, Combustion, Vegas, Soundforge, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, XPress, and Online 3D software, like Wirefusion and Cult3d).
    I hope I've answered to everything you wanted to know smile.gif (our teacher is often busy with professional work tongue.gif)
  • FX Melard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FX Melard polycounter lvl 18
    -> Etienne

Right! I learn as much as I teach!!!

No hosting is available yet, tough I think I'll find one. I'll post the link in the thread with all the characters if we do so.

;-)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    If your school has access to Zbrush, I say USE IT. AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
    In your free time... doesn't have to be for a project or a lesson... just for fun.
    If you guys are all serious about getting into the games industry, Zbrush is more and more becoming a "favoured package" especially for high-detail, next generation engines.
    It always pays to be ahead of the competition... low poly modelling is a good skill to have, but in the future companies will be looking more for high-detail modellers, and zbrush is a great tool for that...
    Plus it's fun wink.gif
  • Bentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bentic polycounter lvl 18
    It was initially planned to make a high-detail model with ZBrush to make a normal map, and make a character for Doom 3 (for school), but we won't have the time to do it, we already have a lot of work. We should do it next year.