Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Q3 Model: First Job

beewap
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
beewap polycounter lvl 18
Hi all, i'm a cg student and here is my first job. A Q3 Model. 1100 Tris and some hours later here my result. I liked to work leather and her face. Let me some critics and tips for for my future jobs.

concept_small.jpg
model_small.jpg
texture_small.jpg

Click on the thumbnail. wink.gif
Thx a lot.

This evening you will have many post on a model Quake 3, we are all in the same class. :d

Replies

• Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Her arms are a bit long. And her suit is awfully orange. a few seams, zippers or anything at all would really add some variation to the huge orange areas. quite frankly they get a bit boring... Other than that, its a well executed model, with good likeness of concept and finished model.

Good job!
  • beewap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Slash for your comment. Effectively, too much orange. Need somes details.
    I will pay attention for my next jobs.

Thx
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    If you want some suggestions on your polygon usage you might want to post some wireframes of the characters.

To me both of the characters hands are pointed in an unatural direction. The elbow pads point back - suggesting that the palms should face forward (the right hand seems to be on upside down?? )
    Its good to see your put some asymetrical elements on the character but overall the design is quite plain.
    The highlights on the shoulder pads are too big - try to use smaller sharper highlights in contrast to shadows.
    The characters anatomny could use work, get good photo reference and use it to help maintain good proportions for your characters.

I think it is a good first attemtp, keep on working and improving. wink.gif
  • beewap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomorrow i will post an image of the wireframe.

to make simpler, one was to model a hand closed fist (the right hand) and an open hand palm to the top (left hand). In Quake 3, the left hand of the character always remains (except with the gauntlet) below the weapon, of or modeling palm opened upwards. And the right hand, holds the handle permanently, therefore in fist closed, it passes.
    But it is my first job thus I know that there are errors in my perso and I accept them with open arm wink.gif My next jobs much will be succeeded, I will pay much more attention to the mds and the pictures.

thx space monkey

I hope my English is comprehensible, isn't my native language.
  • Bentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bentic polycounter lvl 18
    Hello everyone!
    I'm an other student from the same school as beewap smile.gif
    Nice work, except maybe the flashy color of the suit tongue.gif
    Try to desaturate it a bit for tomorrow, if you have the time. (for the others: our deadline is tomorrow)

[ QUOTE ]

spacemonkey:
    To me both of the characters hands are pointed in an unatural direction. The elbow pads point back - suggesting that the palms should face forward (the right hand seems to be on upside down?? )

[/ QUOTE ]
    We all had to use the skeleton from one of the original Quake 3 characters (Visor), so we had to position the elements for them to be well placed when the character is in position (with his weapon in hand), so they look a little misplaced when the character is in rigging position.
    beewap, you could add an other screenshot with the standard position, for us to be able to see the elements at the right place wink.gif

See you soon... must go... still mine to finish tongue.gif
  • Bentic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bentic polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, I see you already explained a little tongue.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Egads man! I am the saturation king and thats too bright. See if you can get a more natural orange hue. http://www.poopinmymouth.com/3d/ember_tex.jpg I am gonna use that for reference since its a bright orange vinyl. Try to keep the value range larger, as right now it dissapears from a distance. And the face is a bit too soft, try to get some harder definition in there with hard brushes and the like.
  • beewap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here, wire picture of my model.

wire_front_small.jpg
    wire_back_small.jpg
    wire_side_small.jpg