Home Technical Talk

Katana?

Duck X
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Duck X polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, Ive searched, and searched, and searched but I can not find a katana tutorial for milkshape anywhere at all. any of you guys have one or know one or could make one? I would really like to know how to make one, thanks. ooo.gif

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    you know, i have tried but i could not find a katana making tutorial for milkshape either. but i did learn to use the tools in milkshape to make cars, creatures, and characters, so when it came to making a katana it just kind of came naturally.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Umm, you only model things you can find tutorials for? You make one just like you make anything else, find some reference for it, model it, and then texture it.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you're making a strange request. Maybe you need to look for basic modeling and texturing tutorials instead of one specifically for making a katana.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Will a .3ds file do? If so, have at it.
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mooseboy polycounter lvl 18
    Milkshape is dead simple to use, and a sword is dead simple to model. Vermilion's .3DS file imports into MS3D, but it looks like Milkshape doesn't get all of the model.

My 11-year-old son can use Milkshape-so can you! wink.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    1. get a box.

flaten it out.
    lengthen it.
    give in some cross sections for a nice curve.
    add a row of edges runing down the center where the blade is
    bring in the polies on the top and bottom of the blade so that it makes a nice blade edge.

you're done the blade. it's basicaly a bent flat box with an edge.

i understand that when you're new at modeling, procedure absolutely eludes you, but just simplify everything down to the absolute simplest shapes and don't add detail untill you're ready for it.

start with a flat box. then add like 2 edges to losely describe the curve. then maybe a couple more. only add detail when you're ready for it, and describe form with as little geometric detail as possible before going on.

that should help :S. maybe it'll just confuse you hehe.

good luck with that.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    What do you mean it "doesn't get" all of the model? Are there faces missing or something? I didn't have MS3D on this machine to test it, but can't imagine what would be a problem. Ah well, I tried laugh.gif
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mooseboy polycounter lvl 18
    ...and I don't have max, so I wasn't able to confirm my guesstimation on what the model is supposed to look like. smile.gif What came into MS3D looked like a handle and a scabbard, but no blade. ASCII art front view:
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    I
    HHHHHHH IOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I
    </pre><hr />
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    John: Wrong approach, Milkshape doesn't work that way. Adding an edgeloop in MS3d consists of selecting the vertices belonging to one edge, pressing split edge, selecting the next two vertices, repeat. Because it's all tris you have to flip the resulting added edges by selecting the two adjacent triangles and selecting flip edge. All in all it's faster to just trace the silhouette with vertices and connecting the dots.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    All in all it's faster to just trace the silhouette with vertices and connecting the dots.

[/ QUOTE ]

All in all it's probably faster to just download a better program wink.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    All in all it's faster to just trace the silhouette with vertices and connecting the dots.

[/ QUOTE ]

All in all it's probably faster to just download a better program wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, like this one

I was a MS3D user, then I tried that, and I never went back. It's a dream laugh.gif
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Modeled in Blender
    Skinmapped in Blender
    Version 2.36
    Rendered using Yafray Plugin
    Total Time - 2 hours
    katana010001.jpg
    Yes, I would say that program works rather well for making katanas.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    John: Wrong approach, Milkshape doesn't work that way. Adding an edgeloop in MS3d consists of selecting the vertices belonging to one edge, pressing split edge, selecting the next two vertices, repeat. Because it's all tris you have to flip the resulting added edges by selecting the two adjacent triangles and selecting flip edge. All in all it's faster to just trace the silhouette with vertices and connecting the dots.

[/ QUOTE ]

ho. ley. SHIT.

yah dump milkshape like a sack of bricks. it's not worth it. blender or wings3d is much better... but.. i still think that you'd do much better with the free version of XSI....

there's nothing worse than a free-software fanboy.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    depending on whether or not you want a single face as the blade, the katana could be modeled and mapped in 2 minutes using Wings3D. With a program like this laying around for free, anyone using Milkshape for modeling should be shot.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Duck X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duck X polycounter lvl 18
    lol, thanks a lot for the help, i downloaded blender, and dam, better interface, more options, better model graphics, it wayyyy better, thanks a lot!.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    *MISSION OBJECTIVE ACCOMPLISHED*
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    *Applause*

Scott