Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

hipoly frogboy WIP

joolz8000
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
froggy.jpg

I'm finally getting some time with ZBrush2. I went through the tutorials and yesterday started screwing around on my own. Here's what I've got so far. Overall I'm digging the software, though there are a few bones of contention. I hope to texture this guy (but then I always say that). All comments welcome.

Replies

• thinsoldier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    I'ts looking great,....except for the pointy smooth dome on the back of his neck.

Please finish this and release an sdk so everyone can skin it smile.gif

I'm just a slut for the artistic orgies that result from the realease of a good sdk =)
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Ha! Crazy man. I dig it.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Good stuff Joolzy!

My experience with Zbrush has been pretty positive recently as well. I've taken to doing what he does in the tut though...Zspheres until youve got a decent skeleton. Paint that up at the lowest sub_d possible, export to maya/max/whatever. Model as normal, get a really good control cage, then back to Zbrush for details.

There are just some shapes & surfaces that are difficult to do with Zbrush that one can just whip out in a 3d application.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks yous.

Yeah, Scoob- ZBrush is great for making some things. One thing that really pisses me off is how you have to be at the lowest division to create new edge loops. Also, I think the auto UV-ing sucks balls, and I don't think I'll ever enjoy painting textures directly on a 3d object- give me PS or give me death. Especially with this 'Drop Now, Pick Up Now' bullshit.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    FROAAAKKK! er, groovy frog-guy smile.gif
    I wouldn't use Zbrush to do edge loop modeling, or anything similar to poly modeling. I agree that the best workflow for something like this would be getting a basic shape going in Zbrush, than building a poly model and mapping the model in something like Max XSI etc, then importing back into Zbrush once it has a decent topology and mapping coodinates.

By the way, you can do some nice but basic texturing in Zbrush without using projection master. You can't use the fancy tools, but you don't have to "drop" and "pick up" the model repeatedly.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, really, this isn't a shameless bump. Kalbers-
    "By the way, you can do some nice but basic texturing in Zbrush without using projection master. You can't use the fancy tools, but you don't have to "drop" and "pick up" the model repeatedly."

How's that? My model is a 'tool'. To paint on it I need a different 'tool'. Once I switch to a new 'tool' my original model is locked forever- I can't paint on it. Please explain.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    How's that? My model is a 'tool'. To paint on it I need a different 'tool'. Once I switch to a new 'tool' my original model is locked forever- I can't paint on it. Please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Draw your model onto the canvas, and while it's still the active unit hit "edit". I forget what the key is, but there's a button for it on the top edge of the canvas.

I have to say though, I wish they'd just throw out all that 2.5d crap and make a real modeling program out of it... ¬_¬
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane- that's how to edit the mesh. I'm talking textures here.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry, I didn't read close enough, but same thing. While in edit mode you can paint on materials at the same time you reshape the model. Switching materials is... over on the left? I'm not the best with zBrush.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah- eureka! Damn, only took me two days to figure out. With no help from the Help files, online forums, or tutorials. Sheesh. I'm going to have a real love/hate relationship with this tool.

So, over 500 views. This might be a first for me. Thanks again for the comments and help- I'm going to make a serious effort to texture this thing entirely in ZBrush now (because I didn't unwrap it in Max early on and I don't think there's a way to import UV coordinates without basically starting over...)