Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

a new flame to spark your interest

spider2cool
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
I have started a project with the female model I made. She is a pyromencer. I used an old drawing I drew a while back for the consept art. I know it is not exact, but I just wanted to come close.
necrotica0eg.jpg
I am not sure at what level of self illumination. here I have 80%, 50%, and none. I also just figured out how to use the alphachannel, took me a while to finally get it down, and once I did, I felt stupid cuz it is pritty simple. anyway here is the model. C&C welcome
pryopose1av.jpg I also plan on texturing different boots and gloves. I don't want anymore polies that I already have.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think if she were a brunette it would add to the piece a lot better tbh... and could you show some wires of the non-smoothed mesh? it looks kinda sloppy...
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    what are wires?
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Wireframe. Most people prefer their pimps with the wireframe overlayed over the model, like this. Usually that's done by duplicating the mesh, scaling along the vertex normals (3ds MAX: Push modifier) and applying a wireframe material.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    indeed. if you post wireframes alone, you usually cant make head or take of it, as you can only see the wires, and you see the front back and sides, so it looks kinda confusing sometims.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm...KDR_11k, that is a little over my head. I will take a look though.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    ok here you go. It is not exactly what KDR_11k was saying, cuz I could not figure it out, but here you go.
    wires8cu.jpg
    wires25yl.jpg
    looking forward to the C&Cs.
  • Eclipse
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Very ncie concept, i'm intrested to see how this one turns out once it's all skinned. The model looks alright, there is a lot of wasted polys (specially the hands) and the legs bug me a bit. But overall when finished and rendered it should look pretty nice, keep up the good work smile.gif.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    What program was this modelled in, and how did you go about creating it? Some of the topology seems kind of strange. Like in the legs, there are a lot of wasted triangles. I can't quite figure out how this model was put together.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx Eclips. FatAssasin, well it started out flat. I used a picture of a girl I drew for reference, then I added lines and pulled it out to 3d...you know I don't think that makes sense...I really don't know how to explain it. all I know is I did this one the hard way....I was trying a different way just to see where it would go. right now I have a big problem on my hand. For some reason when I don't have the view I am looking at with the "texture correction" on, it does this wierd thing with the polies...has anyone incountered this before, does anyone know how to fix it. I really don't want all this work to go to waist. uuuuuuhhh...this is frustrating. take a look.
    problem7bt.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Your Z-Buffer is too inaccurate. Usually that only happens when viewing objects very far away. Perhaps something set it to 8-bit, try fiddling around with your view and driver settings (I think Ati cards can enforce a certain ZBuffer depth).
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    If it's not already rigged, try scaling it up like 10 times or more what it is now. Sometimes it has problems displaying very small objects.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it also looks like it could be backfaces.. although i doubt that.

see brunette makes her more powerful looking wink.gif
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, the wires look really messy. What program are you using?
    You should really clean it up. I like the concept, but the
    model needs alot of work. Not really structure wise, just the
    flow seems really...odd and it actually doesn't seem to have
    a flow. SO MUCH MESS!!! Well anyway, gl with it. I'm likin
    it so far, just needs some tuff love.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured out the poly problem. I recently installed windows xp, and it did not keep my video card drivers. I reinstalled them and presto! well I did some more texturing. so here you go. Enix, I used a basic female model I made and I plan to use her for further projects, I will consider what you have said and change the basic female....as for this one...I am at a point of no return.
    pryopose21rz.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, yeah, if you're going for a basemesh you MUST ensure that it's as error free as possible since any errors would be inhibited by any derived models.

For better screenshots, try reducing the strength of the diffuse lighting to compensate for the self-illumination. 50% self-illu + 50% diffuse looks better than 50% self-illu + 100% diffuse as you would end up with values over 100% in places which makes the result look flat.

BTW, what app are you using? I'd guess GMAX?
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    app? i'm using 3d studio max 6. i will try the 50% diffuse.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for the polycount youve gone to so far, i would have said to go all out and make a full high poly model, with all clothing modeled n all...
  • avalean
    Offline / Send Message
    avalean polycounter lvl 18
    the body looks great but i feel the lips could use an overhaul
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    how could I fix this problem? I like C&C, but in order for it to be efective you have to specify what can be done to change the problem. are they too big, too wide, not big enough...etc. thanx for the coment though
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like C&C, but in order for it to be efective you have to specify what can be done to change the problem

[/ QUOTE ]

they just arent right, its not really one specific thing. find reference photos, study them if you want to make it more realistic.

its not bad, like enix and fatassasin said theres some wierd stuff going on in the wires. it reminds me of one of the gerudo's in ocarina of time
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on the face and the lips. I also textured the bones and skirt.
    pryopose30kd.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the problem with the lips is (or the biggest i see) is the upper lip, it has no filtrum blush.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Another one would be that the color extends way too far. Looks like a disease or really badly applied makeup.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankx for the crits. I will work on the lips to see what I can do.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    OK! I am done texturing her. I made a staff to go with her...It is not the same but I like it. I went ahead and gave her bones so I could pose her, cuz i figured it would not look right with a staff just floating in mid-air....lol. well here she is.
    realpose7uc.jpg
    ok I am not the best renderer as far as bones go...but as long as I can somewhat pose my models I am happy.
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    aaaaah money shot!
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ok I am not the best renderer as far as bones go...but as long as I can somewhat pose my models I am happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, posing is fun wink.gif

Looks good, though I'm not sure what's going on with the knees, could just be the boot texture ending in an awkward place.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i would say , go for a more realistic human model before trying stylised ones , the reason being that you have to understand proportions first , i would use photographic reference rather than stuff you have drawn ... print the reference out and look at it while you are modeling , sorta like life drawing where you look at the model ... Just my 2 pence, but its looking good , we all have troubles rigging BTW
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor, take a look at this, this is the basic female model I tried to use for this model. I am already aware I have to make changes on the basic model. well my point is, I tried to model realistic first, and it just looked like crap. but I will try that again later.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=13220&an=0&page=2#13220
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i think we have found the problem here ... the model you are working from has proportional flaws in it , and topoligy problems too ... these are being carried into your current model ... just like KDR mentioned above ... i would pack up , and start a fresh model , with some photos of nude women laying around you. get that looking somthing near human , then start again , i certainly dont mean to sound harsh , i just think before trying to texture her , get the proportions right ... and the definition to the face and muscles ... here is a VERY quick idea of how you may go about fixing some problems...

prop.jpg

look at the positioning of the breasts, belly button and crotch ... also the eyes and other details .... generaly things are ok tho.. keep at it.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    I will definatly keep this in mind. thanx. well anyway here is another beauty pic of the model in the pose of the original consept.
    realpose23ub.jpg
    necrotica0eg.jpgcrazy.gif
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    well she is all done. If anybody wants to valunteer to help me get her into UT2k3 that would be great. I don't know how to do all that.