Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: BountyHunter

Gatis
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gatis polycounter lvl 18
Hi Guys,
Just thought I'd post my latest piece, he is a cowboy/bountyhunter,I'm currently building the hi poly mesh with the plan to create a lopoly with normal map for my reel, crits welcome

BountyHunterFront.jpg

BountyHunterLeft.jpg

BountyHunterPerspective.jpg

- Gatis

Replies

• Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! Although it doesn't really scream bounty hunter at the moment, it's great looking nonce the less. The hair looks like it could be a bit sharper at the scalps on his forehead. The Wrinkles at the side of the eyes sorta bother me, it looks like the raise too far up. The nose looks like it could be defined more aswell.

Though still, awesome work!
  • Voodoo
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    BH will probably come with the uniform and equpiment =)
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Holy hell mate! This is looking ace! I really like his profile, and his musculature is really nice. I think my biggest complaint is the pecline at the bottom. It is almost always nice and smooth at the bottom inside corners, hardly ever is it that sharp down there because its an insertion point. Looking really nice man.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work on the ears. They're a real pain to do, and you really did them up nicely. Nice all around.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Looks good Gatis! I've had the pleasure of seeing the designs for this, and I have to say its gonna look great! Can't wait to see the low-poly/normal mapped version wink.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Wireframe pictures (not smoothed) are always apreciated tongue.gif

Great work so far!
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    The anatomy seems great. But the chest looks a little flat,
    mainly the pecs. But other then that I think its great. GJ.
  • joolz8000
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good- he's got a lot of personality! The only thing I can add to this conversation is that I see a weird ridge/line/bump behind his ear in the profile view and you could probably add a little more muscle definition to the back of his neck. Minor, I know. What are you modelling in?
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So far its looking great. Looks more like a middle-aged millionaire to me (I keep picturing him in smoking coat/bath robe than as a bounty hunter).

Can we get a back shot? There looks to be something odd going on behind his ear...
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    very very good. altho it looks like you're using a method that'd make me pull my hair out wink.gif you obviously know what you're doing

nice work! can't wait to see more.
  • Gatis
    Offline / Send Message
    Gatis polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys thanx for all the feedback always helpful, well he is modelled in max then taken into good old zbrush, thought id just post a quick wire shot, hopefully i will do an update soon
    Wire.jpg

cheers chaps

-gatis
  • avalean
    Offline / Send Message
    avalean polycounter lvl 18
    I feel the outer edges of the ear are to drastic, try making the outer edge a bit smaller yet smoother.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    gatis:
    very nice start thus far.
    i was wondering what you did to achieve that specific look for your wires in "Wire.jpg". my guess is it is zbrush, i have never use the prog.
    is there anyway one could achieve this look with max? i just like the way it looks.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet so far Gatis. Only crit from me is the eyes look a little strange. Too small? And the hairline in side profile isn't really the usual shape that hairlines tend to be.
  • Gatis
    Offline / Send Message
    Gatis polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers again chaps for the comments, yeh still have a few amendments to do to the head abit more pulling and pushing around, well killingpeople you are right the wires shot was using zbrush, I dont think there is really a way of creating the same effect in max the only thing I can suggest is to play around with texporter and maybe create a texture with wires and place that on the model but something tells me thats not what you want to do.

- gatis
  • Gatis
    Offline / Send Message
    Gatis polycounter lvl 18
    Thought Id post an update, still have loads and loads to do but gettin there, hopefully gives more of an impression of what he is going to look like

BH%20Update.jpg

- Gatis
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    looks cool. a couple of things though:

1. his pecs are a bit square looking.
    2. add some sharp edges to those clothes... it looks too ... lumpy, but thats to be expected with zbrush, still u can do it, I believe in you smile.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good overall. But Rockstar's got a point. Check out some reference for the folds in the cloth. Right now they're too evenly distributed and kind of random. There should at least a few spot where there aren't any folds, where the clothing would be pulled tighter across the body.
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah its coming on nicely but I definately agree about the wrinkles on the clothing. Those pants and shirt are in serious need of an ironing!!!

I would add some deeper folds to the pants coming from the inside crotch area to show how the material hangs - then smaller wrinkles where the material is/ has been scrunched up - like at the joints (elbow, knee area) bottom of the pants as they have been lying against boots/ shoes, across zip area.

You've got a good start but there needs to be more variety in the folds and the areas they lie in- more smooth parts and more wrinkly parts.
  • Gatis
    Offline / Send Message
    Gatis polycounter lvl 18
    Well its been awhile, such along time we have rolled into another year! anyways I thought i would post another update. Basically trying to get all the character done to a certain standard with the idea to look at the complete model then amend bits that I dont like on the model, still have weapons to do and a few more other bits and pieces but then that should be it, then on to the lo poly model. Anyways hope you like the update

BountyFront.jpg

BountyBack.jpg

And happy new year!
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    really nice model. personally im not a fan of the pony tail. i think it really takes away from a bad ass bounty hunter look. a big dirty coat wouldnt hurt either, imo.
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea man, kill the pony tail. And the his ass is kinda bulgy...
    But its really nice man, really smooth. Good job ^_^.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Looks awesome, excellent work!
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    your modeling is off the chain, but still, that has got to be the fruitiest cowboy I have ever seen. I am from texas, and I am not fond of the texas-cowboy image, but still, I have seen plenty of them to know if this guy was walking around in texas, he would probably either be getting his ass kicked or in some women's strip club. don't get me wrong, you are a great modeler, just not exactly a macho man expert. but hey, I would probably do the same thing, I am better with modeling women then men.
  • Gatis
    Offline / Send Message
    Gatis polycounter lvl 18
    well cheers for all the comments guys once again greatly recieved, only thing I didn't agree with is the comment made by spider2cool suggesting he was the fruitiest cowboy he had ever seen! but must admit it did make me laugh, and hey if i decide to texture him with a pink shirt you might be right! Anyways currently modelling the katana that is going on his back then hopefully gonna start the lopoly, he should look very different again once he has been textured and hopefully alot less fruity!!!! thanx again guys ill keep ya posted
  • melkior
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    have to agree the pony tail just doesnt work on this guy IMHO.
  • spider2cool
    Offline / Send Message
    spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
    just so you know, I mostly did want you to laugh.
  • eepberries
    Offline / Send Message
    eepberries polycounter lvl 18
    Right now it looks much more like Dracula than a bounty hunter :0
  • Laheen
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    Its nice, reminds me of that guy from crocadille dundee, its a great model, i cant wait to see what the skin will look like laugh.gif.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    lol, that's what I've been thinking too wink.gif (Paul Hogan)