Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

lucky lukes arsenal: classical western weapons wip

LordScottish
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
Hey there
I did get a fun task to do for a mod: I had to create a western weapon set. I decided to make a Smith&Wesson .44 629 classic and a winchester rifle. The S&W is already finished and animated, I think I posted it in the wip thread too. The winchester is being skinned atm. It's around 890polys and 3 512x512 maps. I can't delete any backfaces due to the funky reload animation. ooo.gif
of course I'll post my progress
winrender.jpg

winrender2.jpg

Replies

• Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Lucky Luke was "Old West", wasn't he? then his Smith & Wesson .44 would not be this 1978 design, but a Smith & Wesson .44 "Scofield". from about 1874.

Scott
  • jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, that's a Clint Eastwood set, actually. 'Dirty Harry' and 'Man With No Name' in one package!

Both look mighty, mighty good. I'm no weapons model expert like some here might be, but the finish on the .44 looks just about right. The grip looks a little muddy, though. It probably either needs a sharper texture, or a more rubber-looking surface. In any case, keep on!

/jzero
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    That 1873 Winchester is a western firearm, but as Mr. Ruggles has pointed out, you've modeled a modern pistol. This is what a 19th century S&W looks like:

http://64.177.205.5/smith6.jpg
    http://64.177.205.5/smith5.jpg

What you have looks awesome, by the way, but just not accurate for the period.

• LordScottish
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments! The mod takes place in a modern texas town, so it's not a big problem. Although a real western revolver would have been really cool smile.gif

I have a question concerning the Winchester reload animation: Does anyone know where the bullets exit? Do they leave the gun after every shot? I figured, that the black part on the right side of the chamber is the slot for inserting bullets, but I couldn't find out where they leave the chamber. Thanks!
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    thanks for the comments! The mod takes place in a modern texas town, so it's not a big problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, well that's cool then.

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a question concerning the Winchester reload animation: Does anyone know where the bullets exit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and now that you mention it, it looks as if you forgot to model the ejection port on the top of the rifle and dust cover for it. The animation should go like this: as the lever is being cocked, the dust cover should move back at the same speed as the lever, and the hammer should also be cocked relative to the speed at which the lever is being cocked. Once the lever is cocked to 100%, the hammer should be fully cocked and locked in that position, and the trigger should snap forward a bit (it doesn't move with the motion of the lever like the other parts... only when the lever is at 100%, the trigger suddenly snaps into place all at once.) Also, when the lever is cocked at 100%, the dust cover is open at 100% and this is when the spent shell casing is ejected. When you're bringing the lever back to its original position, the dust cover closes with it, again at a speed relative to how fast you're working the lever. Everything else (the trigger and hammer) stays locked into position until the rifle is fired.

I happened to have modeled a Winchester 1873 Carbine awhile back, so I did a quick animation to demonstrate what I tried to describe:

winchesteranim.gif

Here are a couple refs to corroborate my model:
    dust cover open
    dust cover closed
  • LordScottish
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot KeyserSoze! This anim is a huge help! Are there any semiauto winchester rifles? I modeled it after a ref pic I had and it looks like there is no ejector. I used refpics from different winchesters so maybe I took by mistake 2 different types of winchesters as reference :-/ I'll post my refpicture today when I'm back from work. Anyways, it won0t be a big ammount of work to remodel that part. Thanks again, this was a great help!

EDIT: here is the refpic I used. After looking at it I assume the whole red marked part does move back?
    question.jpg
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

I have a question concerning the Winchester reload animation: Does anyone know where the bullets exit? Do they leave the gun after every shot? I figured, that the black part on the right side of the chamber is the slot for inserting bullets, but I couldn't find out where they leave the chamber. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

They coume out the top. The whole topstrap slides back (cocking the hammer back, as well(. and the round springs out the top, usually almost straight up, but a little to the left as well. I don't have it handy, but I have a lever action in my Collection and if I can take some photos. but it may be a while (after the guy who is storing my long arms gets back from Hawaii.) You will need such for the 3rd person view.

Scott
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    EDIT: here is the refpic I used. After looking at it I assume the whole red marked part does move back?[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

After doing a quick google search, I'm pretty sure that's a Winchester Model 1892 or 1894 (or possibly an even later model), which is a bit different than the Model 1873 that I modeled. It appears that the whole assembly that you highlighted slides back (with the firing pin and everything), rather than just a dust cover. I'm trying to find a reference image of a Model 1894 with that assembly open.

[edit] Okay, after reading a bit, apparently what you have there is a Model 92 (the major difference between the 94 and 92 is the loading port, the Model 92 has a shorter port that is square at the front). I found a couple references that may help a bit.

Here's a PDF document of an owner's manual. Scroll down a few pages and check out figures 2C, 3, and 9. In figures 3 and 9, you can see that the "vertical locking lugs" stick out the bottom of the receiver quite a bit in order to allow the "breech bolt" slide back.

Here's an exploded view diagram, so you can see what the breech bolt looks like all by itself (part number 53 in the diagram).

Hope that helps. Other than all of that, I'm certain the rifle functions the same as I described earlier smile.gif.
  • LordScottish
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what I have so far. I think I'll start animating tomorrow morning. Special thanks to KeyserSoze for the great help!
    winrender.jpg

winrender2.jpg
  • Fish
    Offline / Send Message
    Fish polycounter lvl 18
    i love ur stuff
    i think the wood could use some luster though
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good. Thank heaven for research and references. Looks like it would work. When animating it, remember the springs are a little stiff, so the effort to use it will reflect it.

Scott
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    lovely work on the metal engravings on the side...

oh, and lord scottish, i've heard good things about brain bread, but PUHLEEEZ tell me there's plans to get this stuff ported to HL2 smile.gif
  • LordScottish
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Gauss, thanks!
    Valve offered us some help with porting it to HL2, but the rest of the ironoak team wants to move on to a commercial game in the next 2 months :-| There are some other HL2 mods: f.e. no more room in hell.
    btw: Does anyone know the hl2 sdk a bit? I figured that you can't assign the vertexes in 3d max, only in lightwave 0_o Don't know if this is true
  • Fish
    Offline / Send Message
    Fish polycounter lvl 18
    i've had experience with the sdk, im not sure what you're talking about though. lightwave isnt even supported.

if you're talkin about assign materials to sub-objects, it works fine. If you're talking about skinning (bones) cannonfodders max exporter supports physique and skin (and some 3rd party plugin also) but i have no experince using max for exporting to hl2, been using xsi for the last few months (i like it better too)
  • LordScottish
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I mixed up lightwave and XSI. I didn't know that exporter, I'll try with this one. Is there any way to decompile the hl2 models?
  • Fish
    Offline / Send Message
    Fish polycounter lvl 18
    yea
    http://www.chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm

max exporters, mdl decompiler and some other tools there. U might need the .net framework.