Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hih Poly Orc WIP

FatAssasin
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
Started this before the boards blew up. Here's an update.

orcChiefHR02.jpg

Eventually most of his body will be covered with armor and whatnot, but I wanted to model the entire body anyway for the practice.

Replies

• Jerome
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Musculature is looking ace, I'd look into the area where the pecs connect to the arm/shoulder though, it looks kinda off there. Otherwise looking good smile.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'm kind of using this as an anatomy study also, so any help in that area would be appreciated. If you see anything that's off let me know. I'll look more closely into pecs/shoulder area.
  • Jeff Gran
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
    It's looking cool so far. There are a lot of anatomy issues though. The rectus abdominus (six pack) is too wide, and the oblique abs are missing. The ripples on the side of the torso aren't quite right either... There's actually two sets of them that interweave with each other. One is the ribs and the other is the serratus anterior. It kind of looks like you made up some of the muscles on the back. There's so many it's difficult to know which ones to show, especially since it all depends on the position of the body in real life... But the main ones are the trapezoid (which you pretty much have right) and the latissimus dorsi (which you don't). Basically I would say look at some more reference and refine it a bit.
  • r13
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    Update.

orcChiefHR03.jpg

Added hands and did a quick skeleton and skin job to see how he's deforming. Added the bumb map just to break things up a bit, it's not going to be the final texture.
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    Hi!
    I like it! Replace his head and he'll became The Hulk-)
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally had some time to work on this. The newest version can be seen a couple posts up, I just overwrote the file.
  • Hollowmind
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Looking awesome, man. Looks like the muscles in his arm could use a little more definition to match the rest of his body. But it could just be the pic.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    what lights are you using to render , is this maya?
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Should I be the one to point that 'he has no cock'? wink.gif

Anyway, I love the model. Depending on what you are going for though, the color makes him look cartoonish right now. Maybe its just me though.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Damn FA thats lookin rad. Did you tone down his muscles on the chest/abs or is it just me? I like the geometry of his chest in the first pic when compared to the 2nd. Just my opinion... now all he needs is some armour.

And a penis.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind: I still haven't decided if I want to bring him into ZBrush to flesh it out more. I probably will eventually because I agree that he could use more definition all over.

Thermidor: This was created in Max. The light setup is very simple, three spot lights. Two on the sides and one in front.

notman: The color is temporary. The next step is to add clothing and armor, then I'll start the textures. Didn't you know that orcs have no cocks? That's why they're so pissed all the time. smile.gif

AdamBrome: Yep, I softened the chest and abs from the first version. Good eye. Still deciding which one I like better.

And I won't be adding a penis any time soon, but he does have a nice ass, if I do say so myself. smile.gif

orcChiefHR11b.jpg
  • Jerome
    Offline / Send Message
    superb, twill be cool when games will handel that amount of poly-doom to be runnin and blown to gibs with that detail.

btw, is there any type of program that can animate muscles flexing when the muscle is being used, that would be cool too, soo realistic it'll be
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i like the softenned torso version more
    i think it looks more solid that way,
    and it fits the cartoony style and character of the whole thing

good job on all of it

as cute as it looks, i suspect the short legs may look a lil too awkward during animation. might wonna lengthen them a ted
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    lol, I never knew that's why they are so angry wink.gif
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    mesh looks great - even I don't see the wireframes!!!
    But the texturing make me thinking about HULK.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    btw, is there any type of program that can animate muscles flexing when the muscle is being used, that would be cool too, soo realistic it'll be

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all the major 3d apps allow you to do this. In Max you can use bones, morph target, physique, skin, ffd modifiers, and the list goes on. There's also muscle plugins that supposedly make it easy and more realistic. When I start rigging, I'll probably do some kind of muscle simulation on the arms.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking really nice man, I think the muscles are working really nice. I can't wait for the clothes and the texture. Looks like this is gonna be a solid character. 8-)
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, finally. The armor is still very wip. I'm basically just blocking it out with low poly geometry. I kind of think of it as doing a rough sketch before creating the finished piece. After I get it looking good at this stage, I'll then go in and smooth it out, make it not so symetrical, and add a bunch of details.

orcChiefWip01.jpg

orcChiefWip01b.jpg
  • Jerome
    Offline / Send Message
    the back of his armor is an interesting design