Home Technical Talk

Modo - who has tried it?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
I got Modo today to try out, and I have to say, I hated it.

It is fast, and I think if you come from a Lightwave background you will be right at home.

It has a nice customisable interface, and great use of popup menus.

It just seemed overly complicated for a modeller, especially with Wings3d and the EXCELLENT Silo.

Perhaps Mirai will give it a kicking when they finally get around to releasing the new version.

Replies

• James Edwards
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, I've been using it since it shipped, and I'm much more impressed than I expected to be. I was never a rabid LW fan either - though I do appreciate its modeling tools. Modo improves on it in almost every way.

The new batch of vids lux released to its private registered users forum is quite impressive. Many of the things I've wished for have been added, as well as a few that came as a nice surprise. I'm very impressed with it for a 1.0 release, and the new patch indicates they are on the right track to making Modo a great app based on user feedback.

The vids will probably be released publically very soon, and I expect that many who were previously sitting on the fence will be convinced to buy.

Wasn't sure it was worth the money at first, but I'm changing my opinion as of this first patch.
  • Frankie
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I think its great! To me one of the most important things about modeling is how fast you can get something done, the customisablilty is a big help in creating an efficent work flow.

Most new programs will initially appear overly complicated but after more than a days use they feeling should dissapear. I think comparatively modo is a very easy to pick up 3d package, although like you said it helps comming from a lightwave background.

I think it still has some problems but its a great grounding for a new 3d program, when the SDK comes out we should see some great plugins as its apparently very easy to program for. What features did you find overley complicated or lacking?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    The interface, the selection and moving of verts and faces - it all seemed a tad cumbersome to me.
  • Frankie
    Offline / Send Message
    Compared to what? It's possable to work without a gizmo or tool handles, when you turn them off and can lock to an axis with a mouse movement its much quicker as you no longer have to focus the curser on the gizmo or handle. This is something that, as far as I am aware, you are unable to do in max or silo.

I think that its unfair to call something cumbersome or complicated when its a lack of experience rather than a bad implementation that makes it that way. However after saying that, I can see several ways that it could be improved.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Been using Silo for ages. its perfect smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    I'm talking from a total lack of experience here, having only watched someone else over their shoulder. The one thing I saw missing was the ability to model with edges. Though maybe that's just the ingrained edge-loop methodology rearing its head.

Is this correct? No edge-loop modeling?
  • James Edwards
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you are thinking of Lightwave's modeler, which doesn't support true edges, edge loops, nor ngons for subdivision. Modo has edges and the tools to edit them with. Some of its edge tools are part of why I've been moving more and more of my modeling over to it among several other things like it's selection tools, seamless symmetry editing, action centers (for changing coordinate space during editing) and its layer and morph systems which are direct descendants of Lightwave's (a very good thing).

Some of the upcoming features I've seen in the video downloads include ogl transparency support, UV edge stitching, as well as tighter integration of the default transform and selection tools with UV's (another very good thing). There's lots more coming in the new update as well. I'll let the vids speak for themselves though when Luxology decide to release them.

Check out some of the videos from Luxology's main website for some better examples of what Modo features out of the box.

http://www.luxology.com/modo/

Also, not sure if this is public access but there are some more quick tips videos here:

http://www.luxology.com/education/tips/
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I used Lightwave for about 3 years before having to switch over to 3dsmax. I loved Lightwave, and Modo looks strikingly similar in many ways. It's too bad Modo doesn't seem to have a demo though, else I'd give it a shot.
  • James Edwards
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that struck me as an odd move for a company with a new product in need of immediate marketshare. I'm sure a lot of people are still waiting for a demo to try before buying.
  • Frankie
    Offline / Send Message
  • James Edwards
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=196197

I found that email in my inbox this morning too. It's a good deal - better than the initial offering I got as a registered LW user.
  • Downsizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    No demo? How do they expect to sell $895 software with no demo. Freaks =)
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, its only recently that Max/Maya/etc had demo versions.