Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

School project: background environment

MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
this is my project for a class called "Background Layout and Design".
final_thumb.jpg
the idea behind this environment is basically a planet where a giant bubble formed below the crust as it cooled, and slowly several species of plant and animal evolved. Eventually a humanoid species came about and was instincually driven to build upward and break out of their cavern. this pic captures the moment of the first few rays from the planet's sun peeking into the cave for the first time. It also shows some of the bio-luminescent (sp) flowers they've come to use as a main source of light.

thats about it.... C&C are always welcome... its due at the end of this week.

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    looking good but i would change the color of the bioluminescent flowers. right now they are producing the same color light as the sunlight making the plants look like artificial constructs. natural bioluminescence doesn't produce the same color light as the sun.
    also your flowers have broad leaves which would be useless under ground where there is no sunlight for them to catch.

add some of the humanoids into the scene. also the scaffolding in the lower right corner seems out of place to me. it just doesn't seem to match the rest of the technology that is evident in the rest of the scene.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    ahser, with all the Tech the united states have.. we still use scafolds that look EXACTLY like that. besides.. i see no tech in the rest of the scene, just large structurs of the type that were made by humans on earth even before the invention of electricity, from looking at the scene i imagined the humanoids to be close to the tech level as ancient aztecs or egyptians
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    well the way i envisioned it... was to show a progression of culture as the tower built up in layers... meaning the bottom part would be the oldest and the top would be the newest... like it took many generations to complete... however time constraints have sorta limited what I can do in that regard. I still don't think they're very advanced... but more advanced than they were... like say egypt to dark ages type of thing.

as far as changing the light from the flowers... ill look into that... I chose to keep them similar (not exactly the same) in color for composition reasons. I didn't want one taking away from the other if I could help it.

thnx for the feed back so far!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey this environment is really cool. I'm not a fan of the lighting but I haven't anything to add that hasn't already been said. Just wanted to say that I like it, has a good atmosphere to it. Would be cool if the flowers emitted brighter light...