Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I am back... with a few things to show.

Arco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Arco polycounter lvl 18
So long time no see guys. I have been away for a veeeeery long time. Not had much time for painting. but i just started uni, so I free all the time now. heh. Anyway gonna get back into it I think, cos there is things I wanna do...

anyway here is me and my friedn ryan at halloween this year... I put mucho effort into my costume (so I can pimp that) and I did a little bit of work on Ryan to make him, shall we say more undead...

arco-halloween.jpg

evilryan.jpg

And here is the design I did for one of my two new tats... I shall get some pics of it on my arm up soon as poss.

tattoo.jpg

Arco.

Replies

• Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I put mucho effort into my costume

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly not enough, where are the streaks of gray at the sides of your hair? Haha, just kidding, great costume, you look like you could be Campbell's son or younger brother.

Welcome back! Though I vaugly remember you, I think the only thing I remember seeing you do was that awesome skin for that beast model.
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Welcome back arco! Good to see ya round these parts again:)
  • Makaveli
    Offline / Send Message
    Makaveli polycounter lvl 18
    Oh my god!!! Arco! How are u doing? What have u been doing? Hope your well!
    Update us!
  • Michael Knubben
    Ola Arco, welcome back
    [beingabastardmode]where are the black lines? [/beingabastermode]
  • tpe
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Hmnn really like the skintones on the first one, they look so life, err deathlike

welcome back

tpe
  • Arco
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    i'll give you black lines! heh... i still love me black lines man. I had 'em put one all the way round me new tattoo... i just need to get me a gigital camera so that i can post a pic of it for you guys.

I am painting up a little something also... shall post soon.
  • Arco
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    So I have these to quick paintings I did tonight... I am trying to get back into it, but it has been about a year since I did any artwork. Phew anyway... here goes...

spawntypeguy.jpg

angel.jpg

I did the spawnish guy in about 30 minutes, just a warm up I guess. Gonna leave it at that, nice little doodle.

The picture of the angel I have had in my head for years, I want him to be stood atop a rock jutting out over a cavern with an evil red light eminating from below and then obviously the god rays from above, what I have here took me about an hour. But i think it is taking shape. ish.

any help and crit is very welcome doods.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Arco! smile.gif
    Pretty good start on that angel painting, but his left hand appears to have no palm... plus I wouldn't really expect an angel to be clenching his hand like that in the presence of "god rays" - surely he should be more relaxed for that?
    Also I reckon if you moved his right arm further from his body it would give him more expression, with it tight up against the torso like that it's making him seem very rigid.
    The shading on the inside of the elbow joint on his left arm is weird, almost looks like the outside of the elbow, rather than the inside - I think the shadow there is too defined and slightly in the wrong place. But I appreciate this is very WIP.

MoP
  • Arco
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    I see what you mean about the elbow and the right arm, however in my head he is getting the rays of love from god and all that crap, but then there is the evil red light from below, kinda of an undecided angel type thing. Or something along those lines, which is why he has fists instead of open hands.

O hyeah guys... here is the tattoo on me!

tattooonme.jpg

Arco
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    i know im not going to be liked for this...
    but anywys. is that one going to stay for the rest of
    your life? i really dont understand how u could do that.
    in my honest oppinion its a rather cheap design
    and if i had to choose a tat out of a few id not take this.
    no offence but .... weird guy u are! good for u if u dont care what others think about it...
  • MAUL0r
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    its meaningful to him because he made it himself...

better than a flaming skull or the japanese symbol for "luck" or "tree" or some naked whore....

I like it and I think its more respectable than many tattoos i've seen.

I don't dislike you for saying that qubism... but I think you're looking at it in a pretty selfish way... of course it seems cheap to you because it didn't come from your creative inspiration, from your heart. That tattoo, if even in a small way is a representation of Arco, and thus has all the meaning it will ever need. Just because it's not meaningful to you doesn't mean it's not meaningful at all... tattoos are a personal thing, and imo should never be gotten based on what others think or might think.
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    i didnt talk about it being meaning full or not.
    i dislike it visually. whatever its supposed to mean
    dont think its something that i want to have on my arm for
    the rest of mylife. i would have drawn abit more and tried to look
    at graphic stuff from good artist before i decide it to be
    final and get it on my arm. it just doesnt seem like a good
    taste to me... however

i dont want this to be a flame or whatever. i just think everyone who considers to get himself a tattoo should think a bit more and often about it before it finally happens.
    in the end it might turn out as a big fault.
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks very red. Yes, I said it, RED! But I don't care what anyone else says, that's my opinion and I ain't gonna budge.
  • Sean McBride
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    well its sad that its mostly getting negitive feedback because i think think it looks awesome. wink.gif Congrats on a good design and tat. I hate it when people use generic tribal or cletic designs. This one has an original look, and the color is vibrant. I havn't seen many tats like that one. smile.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Mostly negative feedback? I only see one guy that doesn't like it. I was just joking about the red comment, and I don't see how that it be construde as either positive or negative, red is red. Personally, I think it looks cool. And I'm glad he didn't wimp out and hide it up on a shoulder or something, it's right out there where everyone can see it. smile.gif
  • MAUL0r
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i would have drawn abit more and tried to look
    at graphic stuff from good artist before i decide it to be
    final and get it on my arm.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's something to be said for NOT looking at other artists... to just do something completely from your head and in that way it better represents you as a person... not as a person who is trying to live up to another artist. If you look he did accually draw it out first in a pretty finalized drawing before choosing it as his final tattoo... if he posted a pen drawing on a napkin i'd understand thinking he rushed into it... but its obvious that it was meaningful enough to be permanently on his body. I have a friend who has 3 tattoos... 1 is the japanese symbol for tree on his leg, another is a GIANT japanese dragon on his theigh (very colorful) and the other is japanese symbol for luck... problem is, he isn't japanese in the slightest, nor did he even know what the symbol for tree was when he got it... he looked it up after. So I can see what you're saying about not thinking it through.
  • Arco
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    I see. Not personal ey? It is to me. I spent a long time designing my tattoo, it is very similar to my first ideas of what I had in my head but I refined it mucho. And I went for a non typical tattoo for the simple reason that it is different and only I have it.

Also I am a little offended that you said "i would have drawn abit more and tried to look at graphic stuff from good artist before i decide it to be final and get it on my arm." Cos it is my design, not sure if i like it being implied that I am a bad artist. Just a bit rude really. Anyway it is on my arm for good now and it is great.

Anyhew I shall post some pics of the angel dude when he is a little further along.
  • Arco
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    I just did a little bit more on him, smoothed out a few areas and started the face, I think I am gonna give him hair too. Also what sort of clothes (if any) do you guys think he should have.

angel2.jpg

Arco
  • Mark Dygert
    - I love the tat! I always think it is better when people can design thier own. Its in a place that can be covered if you ever need to. And its in a place that people will see it. Also unless you plan on bulking up the skin is more than likely never going to strech much on your forearm, so you won't get distortion. How many "hot chicks" with the chinese symbol for love tattoo'ed under belly button are going to end up with this symbol after a few kids. Skin stretches folks, and it doesn't make tats look better... Note: unless you are a stripper getting a tat on your ass or some place no one will ever see it, is kind of pointless.

- You make a good ash, and you made a good costume. Nuff said.

- Now on to the art.
    The skully thing is pretty good, like the stuff coming out of his eyes, very spawn like. The prespective on the nose seems to be a bit off. The nostroal closest to the shoulder/viewer needs to be the bigger of the two. But hey, with hidious skully things, you can always count on thier porptions not being right on, after all thats what makes them ugly... and for an ugly guy this looks pretty well done.
    The angel guy. You have some good shading going on, but it needs an over all light source. If its coming from the top left, his pecs would have more light/brighter areas than his legs or side/back. His neck seems a bit long and the angle of his head seems a bit off. His back also seems a bit too muscular I would shave some off his back/butt. I would also adjust the brightness/contrast to bring out some of the detail. Then just use the dodge/burn tool to add some highlights. I did a quick paint over, it might get my points across better than words, hope you don't mind.
  • Arco
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    ah cheers dude! Very helpfull sugestions, especially the back and ass... mucho improved. cheers!

angel3.jpg

jus been experimenting with some colour and some lighting... I am gonna have it red from underneath eventually as once I paint in the background it will become more clear as to what is in my mind for this picture. eventually
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    hey arco. before you render any further, you might consider flipping the image in photoshop horizontally and seeing if anything pops out at you as needing fixing. on just a quick appraisal of the angel piece, i'd say the right shoulder almost looks dislocated or set different than his left shoulder. in any case, horizontal flipping often is always a good idea for digital art smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Arco, looking good I really like the back lighting you have going on, art always seems to come alive when you can have more than one light scource. Looking good! keep up the great work.

Gauss, thats a great trick. I just flipped some of my art horiz and even vert, and found a few thing that I couldn't put my finger on. So simple yet so helpful, thanks buddy!
  • Arco
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    hey hey. I just got tanked up on coffee... anyway i did this very quick 10 minute paint over cos I am taking him in a new direction... just wish I could paint wings! Help me out with em cos I can't find any good sources as to how wings actually look so i made it up.

angel5.jpg

angel4.jpg

Arco
  • Arco
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    I been tinkerin with it over the past few weeks... gonna leave it at this for now... till I can be arsed to work out how to do his wings...

angel5doneish.jpg

Arco.
  • Artreth
    Offline / Send Message
    Artreth polycounter lvl 18
    I think it is turning out good, except that I think you rely too much on whites and blacks. Try to play around with some different colors on the skin, just to see how it turns out.