Home Technical Talk

How to weld in 3d Max?

The Stinger
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
The Stinger polycounter lvl 18
I moved from milkshape to 3d max and followed an old tutorial
on the polycount site. It tells me to weld but I can't find
how to weld. So how do you actually weld in 3d max?

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    In vertex mode, there's a button for welding vertices labeled 'Weld'. In edge mode, that button will allow you to weld edges. It shows up in the bar at right when you have a mesh/poly object selected, and you click that blue pipelike tab.

In order to weld, you should have two or more vertices or edges selected, and they should be within the distance you specifiy. Or you can use target weld.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Theres an option to weld edges and I wasn't informed? You go now.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    ya you can weld edges, but i believe only open edges to other open ones
  • cspgames
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cspgames polycounter lvl 18
    AFAIK you need to add a "Select Mesh" Modifier to the Mesh that you want to weld, then Select all Vertices (in Vertex Mode), then hit the Modifiers "Weld" Button. You may adjust the welding tolerance (or something) here. This is also required before you can add a "smoothing" modifier if the mesh was unwelded before (eg. in LithUnwrap 1.3).

Uh, I'm not really familar with 3dsmax :/
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i prefer collapse. it's much faster for welding single vertices. but for multiple vertices, i go for the weld button "conveniently" placed in the middle of the geometry panel.
    bah.
    every day i just want to learn maxscript more and more.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Edit Mesh/Edit Poly --> Weld (within a determined threshold) or Target Weld (where you chooseone vert and choose the other to connect it to. They have to either be open or on the same edge.