Home General Discussion

World Of Warfraft....

Apostle
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Apostle polycounter lvl 18
Hi all,

just thought I would let you know.
I was at Media Play tonight around closing time while they were stocking pc games and the clerk put out a preorder box for World of Warcraft. (avaliable nov 23rd). Came with a free warcraft novel.
I preordered the Collectors edition. This seems to be one of the Best actual Collectors edition games I yet to see. It does have a price to match tho. $69.00

check out what comes with it here. WOW

Do any of you Beta testers know what the exclusive in-game pet is?

later
pj

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    No idea what the pet will be, but I also pre-ordered what I like to call the "uber-geek edition" of the game. I've only been in the beta a few months but I am hooked.
  • Apostle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How many servers are there, and which ones do you guys play on?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    As of yesterday, there are no servers. Closed Beta is officially over. Not real thrilled with that myself, as the class I want to play isn't even finished being implemented, but this won't be the first time a mmorpg has been rushed out the door. Sometime in the next few days, Blizzard is having what they're calling a seconds 'stress test', which is likely just a week or two of Open Beta. No one knows yet how many servers will be available at release, or what they might be named. Also, the special pet hasn't been announced, either.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    I was in closed beta for about a month. It's a great game for casual players, finaly a good MMORPG that you don't have to dedicate your life to advance. I also pre-ordered the special edition.

Can't wait for retail smile.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Damn. All I want is the DVD version and map, not all that excess bulk and mess.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i played the beta... from alpha (april-marchish), and i got latched into like i wouldnt believe. I dont think i'll preorder the collectors edition, just because i think that would secure the harness that is strapped around my balls.

in the beta there were 3 servers (as of most recently), Beta (pve), Beta 2 (pve), and a PvP server. I played on all 3, my main character was on the Beta server (Critical 2 levels old wink.gif), and some alts on Beta2, and PvP. I reckon they'll have a USEast, USWest, central, etc.. similar to Diablo 2, but most likely more servers than just that. I got nuthin.

I may play when it goes retail, i may not. Its a great game, so i may play it for a while. Im guessing there will be a lot of cool stuff in retail that is being excluded from the beta.

the collectors edition box multisuper set is pretty sweet though.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The art book and signed manual and stuff sound cool. Cloth maps are always fun too.
    When's it out in the UK, and will this be available to UK people too? Anyone know?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, I ordered that version mainly for the book. The fact that it comes on DVD and with an exclusive pet is BONUS!!!
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    pay to play :|

i'd get it in an instant if there wasnt a monthly fee, because i really do not like monthly fees at all.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Ive also been testing it since alpha and I will be eargerly awaiting release day so I can play it some more.

I have old characters on the beta servers, but I only play on the PvP server now. I have been impressed with the game so far, and besides a few quirks which are supposedly being addressed, I cant complain.

I am really looking forward to battlegrounds and raid encounters, but the fact that they wont be testing battlegrounds before release really scares me. A lot of other companies have made the same mistake (holding back game-play elements until after release) and it has always resulted in a buggy release that players will exploit to the max.

Here's hopeing that blizzard gets it right.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    This is how I feel about paladin talents. Warrior talents went in how long ago? Three or four months back? Their talents have been revised twice over since then, while paladin players still don't even know what their talents will be. The class is allegedly undergoing a serious overhaul anyway, and all we're going to get is a couple weeks of open beta with it at best before it ships. Lame :/
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be staying with Starwars Galaxies... Gotta love buying random stuff on ground, then using them in space! wink.gif
  • Apostle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Cinamatic Trailer intro for W.O.W was released by blizzard.
    It has some amazing CG in it. I really like the first close up of the dwarf.

watch it here
    http://www.apple.com/games/trailers/worldofwarcraft/trailer480.html
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    damnit, where are the gnomes in that trailer!

other than that, pretty friggan cool.
  • That Darn Satan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Darn Satan! polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, how sad, I was pretty much resolved to take a break from WoW when open beta ended, just 'cause I liked my warrior and didn't really wanna start over once characters were wiped, but the shiny new cinematic trailer makes me want to play again. Me love shiny!!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    HOLY CRAP ITS SATAN.

ph33r.

i preordered the collectors edition last night (ugh... im weak) *mainly* for the art book, but i guess for the game as well wink.gif
  • Apostle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    MOOSE: I dont think i'll preorder the collectors edition, just because i think that would secure the harness that is strapped around my balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    MOOSE: i preordered the collectors edition last night

[/ QUOTE ]

moose now speaks in a higher pitched voice shocked.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    aw shit, busted.

its an art book.... one cannot resist an art book, their magnitude is like breasts!
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I'm more excited about Guild Wars. Anyone play the preview this weekend? Hot stuff..
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    aw shit, busted.

its an art book.... one cannot resist an art book, their magnitude is like breasts!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I figured I actually need to buy it, too...
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm more excited about Guild Wars. Anyone play the preview this weekend? Hot stuff..

[/ QUOTE ]Guild Wars was cool! smile.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    How much does it cost per month?
    I am bit reluctant to get the game for this monthly fee thing. I've played EVE online for a bit but in the end I thought the game's price plus the months that I paid the subscription all together made it a very expensive game.
    The should have an option where you can either pay for a month or an hourly rate (when you go over an X amount they don't charge you more than the monthly amount).
  • Apostle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm not sure how much it will cost but I've heard it will be around $10-$14

Also, Open beta opened yesterday if any of you want to get a jump on the game.
  • smurfbizkit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smurfbizkit polycounter lvl 18
    yea, I'm downloading it right now...it is taking a while since its something like 2.5gig
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Just played about 6 hours of OB. Got a lvl 8 orc warrior, so far this is the only mmorpg that has kept my attention that long. I'm gonna keep pluggin along and see how i like it. I may be buying this one.
  • That Darn Satan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Darn Satan! polycounter lvl 18
    I am so lame. I'm getting all quivery over the idea that my download at home has probably finished by now. Weee! Can't wait to see how many pages of rest state I've built up over the past few weeks!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monthly subscription for WoW is $14.99, three months is $13.99/month and a six month subscription is $12.99/month. First month of course is 'free' with purchase of the game itself.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The unique pets for the uber dork edition have been revealed:

http://rpg.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=6663

I'm gettin' me one of them mini-Diablo's laugh.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, those are pretty cool. If I was getting the CE, I'd also get the Diablo. Have to play a warlock, then, of course laugh.gif

Any chance of getting a semi-official Polycount WoW server? I know we're spread out all over a bunch of timezones (and I'm likely to go with an RP server myself), but it would be cool to see some of you online.
  • Paolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paolo polycounter lvl 18
    Thanfully I got my open beta registration in yesterday, as today they are already out of OB accounts! I'm going to give it a try, and so long as the need for l00t ph4rming added in the latest patch is eventually cut back, I'll probably be buying this one.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    you dont really need to farm, but people have been doing it since the alpha.

you can, and those that do it willingly most likely bitch about it, because it isnt fun. I have farmed a little, and i didnt like doing it because its repetative and boring... but i honestly cant say they 'force' you to farm for hours on end.

I havent played much in the latest patch, but from how it has worked before was that you *could* if you wanted to, but there really isnt any need to. Unless you view collecting resources for professions as farming, then yer screwed wink.gif I think collecting leather and goods for leatherworking not as farming but fun... because making shit rocks.
  • Fabool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabool polycounter lvl 18
    Oh god.. I actually went and ordered the European collector's edition even though I haven't played the game and aren't really that keen on paying a monthly subscription fee.
    The 200page art of-book just kept calling to me and I had to order it.. I just had to frown.gif Artbook addiction is truly a horrible thing.
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    Egads, please say they're selling the art book separately! I don't think you'll be disappointed by the game; I really enjoyed the Open Beta.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh god.. I actually went and ordered the European collector's edition even though I haven't played the game and aren't really that keen on paying a monthly subscription fee.
    The 200page art of-book just kept calling to me and I had to order it.. I just had to frown.gif Artbook addiction is truly a horrible thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get that? I haven't seen a European Version of the game with the artbook anywhere. frown.gif
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought the WC3 CE for the art book. Imagine my disappointed when a few months later I saw the same book on store shelves for $20 in hard-cover as opposed to the soft-cover book the CE came with. If you just want the art book wait a few months and check the Blizzard Store instead of paying $80 for a game that you don't really want to play (although you're missing out on a great game wink.gif)
  • Fabool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabool polycounter lvl 18
    A local store, actually a couple already, here in Finland have the european collector's edition on preorder.

Your post actually got me worried now.. it doesn't say what's in the box, I assumed it has about the same contents as the US CE, minus the possible autographed manual, better have the artbook and cloth map there or I'll be seriously upset!

Edit: Oh there it is. Another shop had the contents and it should have a concept art book, behind the scenes dvd, cloth map and soundtrack as well as a unique gameplay item.
    No word if it has both the cd and dvd versions of the game or the autographed manual (pretty sure it's just a plain manual).
  • Apostle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone that is going to get this game be sure to post your server and character name in this thread so we can possibly meet up.

Name will be: Apostolos (human Paladin)
    Server: one of the US PVP east (will edit to actual server tomorrow)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Everyone that is going to get this game be sure to post your server and character name in this thread so we can possibly meet up.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be unless I create my character and give it that name first! Muwahahahahhaah!!!! poly130.gif
  • Apostle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie = evil...pure evil. crazy.gif
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be playing Pallas, also a human paladin and also on one of the East PVP servers. Good to know I'll have some Polycoutner company when I'm chillin' in the Cathedral laugh.gif Any thought on your template? I'm looking at something like 29 Retribution/22 Protection, emphasizing defense but with some 2H versatility in the event I'm not a main tank.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I actually got my Collector's Edition of World of Warcraft today, a day early...too bad I can't play it till 3am my time when the servers are turned on. I must say this is one CE release that's worth the extra cash. It was loaded. You get the game on DVD as well as a 4 CD version (both in their own jewel cases), a cloth map that is rolled up and secured with a brass ring, the game soundtrack on cd in a jewel case, an invitation card with a separate activation key for a friend invite to the game ( I beleive good for a 5 day trial), a big thick game manual with the team signatures on the back, a dvd in a dvd case that is the making of, interviews and all the cinematics mastered for high rez, a Blizzard merchandise catalog, and the best part a 208 page full color hardbound book that is the art of World of Warcraft. Another lil' special thing is you get to pick 1 of 3 special pets for in game for your character only given to CE owners. It's a choice of a mini diablo (devil baby), pandaran cub, or zergling. I'm going to pick the panda cub. Also the box is a nice slip case box with felt lining in burgandy. It's not just a decal slapped on a generic box like the Warcraft 3 CE box, it's an actual printed box that looks like an old weathered tome. Pretty great stuff. The box with contents I'd guess to weigh around 10 pounds at least. I'm glad I had preordered this one. Be sure and look in the art book for some sick renders of the models from the cinematics. Awesome stuff.
  • Paolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paolo polycounter lvl 18
    dammit ... just checked amazon and mine hasn't even shipped yet!
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    an invitation card with a separate activation key for a friend invite to the game ( I beleive good for a 5 day trial)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oo, I want to be your friend now. At least for 5 days.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Frog - any chance you could scan in a favorite image or two from the book? I'd like to see what I'm missing smile.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    pre-ordered at EBgames last week.

Since Everquest 2 killed my PC (when I entered a city I had it on lowest graphic settings,and I still saw the game in a panoramic view) Oh well, I didn't buy it, I was merely piggybacking on my bro's account.

I was going to get the CE, but I just don't have the money at the moment to pay 70 some dollars for a game(I'm pretty broke). Although those extra goodies do sound very enticing to buy. I'll have to think about it.

I was actaully considering going onto an RP server for that game, I figured it'd be cool to try it out, but then I figured it could also get awkward and weird, like being at the Renaissance fair for too long. Though I suppose the only reason I figured going onto one was because I get tired of seeing people with names like "SSJGoku", "Jdogg", and "Macfucker". Though I'm sure I'd still see those names on a RP server.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those names should be disallowed regardless, naming policy and all, but I know what you mean. My first day on the debut of DAoC's earliest roleplay server introduced me to an albion lad by the name of ChubbyYoda. I have been a fan of draconian MMORPG naming policies ever since.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermillion- give me a lil' bit and I'll scan in some pics from the artbook and try and post them up. I'll try and take a pic or two of the box and it's contents as well. I've been watching the DVD that came with it this evening and it is so nice. They cover every aspect of the game's creation with those narrating it that had worked on the specific part (Art, Design, Programming). It's cool to see how it all came together.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    heh, spent 6hrs across 3 days downloading open beta for Mac. got to play it a grand total of 4 and half hours before it closed again. i enjoyed the time i did spend. the over all experience feels good to me. like what i liked about Ragnarok Online, bright, colourful, and enough enemies for everyone. i dont have to socialize if i dont want to. and yeah i like the aggressive name policy as well.

as much as i would love to buy the CE and play i dont think i will have either the time or cash until sometime next year. :\
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok here's 3 pics of WoW CE for now...

http://www.freewebs.com/tkfrog/wow_01.jpg
    http://www.freewebs.com/tkfrog/wow_02.jpg
    http://www.freewebs.com/tkfrog/wow_03.jpg

sorry that free host doesn't seem to do the remote linking too well so the links will have to do for now.
  • Apostle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, it's 3am i just got off work and made a character

Apostalos (human Paladin)
    East Realm
    PvP server Arthus

send me a tell, i should be on frequently the next 90hrs smile.gif

pj