Home General Discussion

HL1 With Normal Mapping!

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think HLSource has that stuff in it.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think HLSource has that stuff in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, not much is changed. it looks almost identicle to the original half life, except the water is reflective.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Lighting is also better and the physics use the source engine ones which results in headcrabs doing odd things from time to time. I haven't played it all that much given I've got HL2, but it doesn't appear to be much of a change at all. They don't even use the Blue Shift high def pack models.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    I posted this in another forum, and thought I'd share:

HL:Source does not use the hidef models from Blue Shift, because Valve didn't make that game. Gearbox did. And it's not like you could just install the hidef pack yourself. The models have gone through a number of changes. They'd have to be set up with ragdoll properties and texture properties.

As for complaining about HL:S not having enough changes to it-
    Here's what I have noticed:
    Water (duh) and other liquids

Textures- It looks like all of the textures have an added detail texture applied to them. It would have taken them quite a long time to remake every single texture for a 6 year old game. They did add suddle reflections to metallic surfaces and wet spots.

Models- the environment map reflections (barney's helmet, crowbar) seems to be using a different procedure. Could be using hdri for the env map images on them. The models themselves are lit better. More lights are affecting the lighting on the mesh. Probably also has something to do with the radiosity lighting.

Animiations- the havok engine was used to add ragdoll physics to all of the models.

Physics- there are a few other areas that I noticed some new physics simulations. there are some cables with metal hooks hanging from the ceiling. Instead of moving on their own, they are influenced by contact by the player and npcs. Also the cables that held a number of crates that you must cross also display this.

Maps- all of the maps had their lighting redone to take advantage of the hdr lightmaps. They have more vibrance, and are less blotchy when brightness values are adjusted.

I found this more than worth the extra $10. That and I'll be getting DoD:Source when it comes out too. Opposing Forces, TFC, DMC, DoD and the rest of Valves Back catalog are included in that extra $10.

Also, I tried out that normal mapping mod/map, and it was really, REALLY choppy. I'm not sure what procedures they were going about for getting the normal maps to be used in game, but my computer was not having it.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, i find it to be ugly as fuck, really. It's not at all an improvement over Halflife 1, it just makes it look really cheap.
    Blergh. abuse of technology is getting to be a personal pet peeve of mine. (halo 2, anyone?)
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Well, HL1 does use a crapload of light entities, so that's where there's the obvious slowdown.
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    There's a mod in the works/planning stages to completly remake half life with new material to properly make use of the source engine. mod's called Black Mesa: Source.

There's also a community project to redo all the textures. I'm too lazy to search for the links right now, if I find the links i'll paste them.

On a side note I prefer HL: Source. Main reason? shadows. It connects the characters to the world which is a nice thing. I got tired of the characters never looking like they were really a part of the world.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    yes this reminds me of when people were posting all the q1 engine stuff with normal maps, its just an abuse of the tech, just because its there doesnt make it good art, these look terrible and could have been done much better looking without the normal maps.. but also if the normal maps were done "good" then it would look better. but it seems a lot of people think that shiney lumpy stuff no matter what it acutly looks like, is awesome