Home› General Discussion

Evercrack...er...Everquest 2

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
It seems this game has been over shadowed by WoW, also some people just despise it.

Just got it the other day when I picked up Halo 2, and I must say, it's pretty damn fun. People complained that in doom 3 the normal mapping wasn't put to that good of use because all it was, was narrow passage ways. Well EQ2 Has Normal mapping put on large areas and it makes the environments look fricken fantastic.

Though what really caught my eye was the character editor. I've always disliked the idea of having to select a face from a bunch because you know your going to see your clones running about in the game at some point. Well For EQ you are given the body and then you change the facial characteristics, like Chin, Cheekbone, brow, nose, lips, and eyes. You also choose from a pretty. You also can choose your skin color, as long as it's in the small color picker, eye color, hair color, hair highlight color. and what color you'd like your base clothes to be.

Though there are still some things I dislike, such as:

There are barely any pigments in the skin color, being here has pushed me to the belief that if your doing skin on something that looks more real than stylised, then you should place some pigments into the skin. I mean all it is, is like a color, then a small highlight over areas like the nose and cheeks and muscles.

The Armor so far is pretty off looking, it looks really tight to your body, like an awkward set of pajamas.

I'm also fairly impressed with the voice work in it, It's sorta nice that NPC's talk to you, it give them a bit more character. Plus the leader of freeport is voiced by Christopher Lee grin.gif.

Replies

• Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    we was messing around witht he character creater a month or so back and i was completely unimpressed witht he character art, all looked like people made out of play-dough, think it smostly because there was berry little difuse map and all the detail was the normal map, which looked bad.. also not a fan of the art style. the lizard/rat/cat people looked decent because they actualy had difuse maps painted for them
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I did not think people like you existed, but now I must kill myself. You actually think the characters in eq2 look good? they are quite possibly the most horrible character art I have ever seen. The choices are cool sure, but all you are doing is rearranging the same horrible art assets to look like different horrible art assets. Man, it makes me sad for all the time and effort we at mythic put into doing the character upgrade for DAoC if no one is going to notice. *shakes head in disgust*
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think the art assets are horrible, but I wouldn't say they are awesome looking. They are a huge leap from the characters in the First EQ, but that is to be expected.

Though seriously are these game graphics all that Horrific?
    EQ1.jpg
    Eq2.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you re read my post, I specifically said "characters" The environments look great, I am talking only about the characters. And yes, I think they look horrible.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh, to Each his own I suppose...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Though what really caught my eye was the character editor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the avatar editor in Second Life, or even The Sims 2.

In response to Poop's opinion of the characters, most EQ addicts I've known don't play the game for the graphics. It's more the social aspect, and the ability to sell your account on ebay. I've watched friends stare at text messages for hours without moving their character...just waiting...waiting for I don't know what. So I'd say this version will be a treat for the EQ fans. The environments look nice. And the characters aren't that horrific if you consider they have to be customizable. I avoid playing the game for fear of becoming addicted.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I did not think people like you existed, but now I must kill myself. You actually think the characters in eq2 look good? they are quite possibly the most horrible character art I have ever seen. The choices are cool sure, but all you are doing is rearranging the same horrible art assets to look like different horrible art assets. Man, it makes me sad for all the time and effort we at mythic put into doing the character upgrade for DAoC if no one is going to notice. *shakes head in disgust*

[/ QUOTE ]

stop being a fan boy for the company you work for the art is fine and looks great, nothing much different from what ive seen on some of mythics games
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    stop being a fan boy for the company you work for the art is fine and looks great, nothing much different from what ive seen on some of mythics games

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, I believe this is what poop is talking about. A classic case ( like the humans in Halo 2 ) of Tech winning over Art. They're normal mapped ( or bump ), self-shadowing and have multi-pass shaders and other fancy stuff, but she still has a face that....well, you decide:

ouch.jpg

I dont think Poops being a fanboy. I think he's possibly frustrated by the effort we put into making game Art the best it can be If artists in our own community cant even tell the difference between this and some of the stuff here in P&P!!!

Still, each to their own. Im sure it's a fun game. And aspects of the engine look really impressive.

/but the character Art is truly awful ;-p
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    In response to Poop's opinion of the characters, most EQ addicts I've known don't play the game for the graphics.

[/ QUOTE ]

well that would be an arguable point if the characters looked like shit, but were aslo verry resource friendly. but what you get here is crappy ass molded play dough skin that you need a super computer to run. And i may be labeled a fanboy for my company here, but the character stuff they are doing for the new DAoc expansion here, even without all the fancy stuff like normal maps.. completely looks a billion times better than this crud.

This is basicly the kind of stuff i was mentioning in my thread in 2d/3d about if the extra effort in making good art is really worth it
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elf_f1.jpg
    syl_f_variations1.jpg

I did not work on the camelot team during this project, but a few other polycounters did, just wanting to make clear that the character art in eq2 IS much difrent than you see here at mythic.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    What, in your opinion, is the reason for the poor character art in EQ2:

a)Poor Use of Tech
    b)Poor Art Direction
    c)Poor Artists
    d)A combination of the Above

Discuss
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I think its largely an assumption that impressive tech will make things look better, without actually stopping to see wether or not they do! Just because you *can* bump map for instance, doesnt mean you shouldnt actually look at the result and discover that 'oh, it makes her face look all lumpy!' and therefore decide that you're better of without it.

The Art thats beeen generated looks poor, so the artist clearly needed some guidance from an AD.

So, I think its ALL of the above!
  • tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Jeese thats my gran your talking about there frown.gif.

tpe
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to go on a little rant here. Up till recently, in order to get top notch looking character art, you needed artists who knew how to paint textures. Painting is a very difficult task, and requires an abundance of knowledge from various areas, color, composition, technique, material properties, light and all its behaviors, etc etc. Now modeling on the other hand, is not quite as difficult, and I feel I can say this, because almost every Tom Dick and Harry that comes out of the AI's or SCAD, or wherever else, can model. Awesome modelers are still awesome artists, but in my opinion it is easier to get an ok model than it is to get an ok texture. So now that the industry is moving away from texture maps with all the extra knowledge required to fake the lighting, it paves the way for less skilled artists to get jobs. Because all you need to know is how to model, flood fill, and make some overlays, and bam, you have an everquest 2 model. Now I personally prefer the look of a hand painted texture, but I know that technology is surpassing that in certain engines. However, I think it is going to take those skilled artists who know alot about all the aspects of light, color, composition, etc, to take full advantage of it. I think in the instance of Everquest 2, its lacklustre artists making lacklustre art. They relied too much on tech to make it look good, and not good old fashioned artist elbow grease.
    /end rant
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    haha that's not NEARLY as bad as morrowind. the textures on them are dodge-burn-birdshit highlights-terrible.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, being an artist I do agree that the humans models in EQ2 do look pretty heinous. I also did complain that the skin contains no tones in it, it really does look like it's made of silly putty or something. I will go as far to say, that I probably could make a better model than that...and I will only be attending art school next year.

Though like I said the human models do look pretty bad, but I like the way the Elves, the rat people, frog people, and lizard people look. They look like they were made by totally different people.

Though I'm still giving the game a month, If I don't like how it's going. Then I'll movie to Guild Wars(Art looks good and no monthly charges) and WoW(Looks nice and stylised, and a bunch of my friends will be playing it). And I'm not even giving The Matrix online a chance...I mean you have to ask someone before you can fight...I don't know how you can put sniper rifles in, what sort of text box would pop up? "Do you want to be shot in the head? Y/N"
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, I think a good reason why the player models look so bad in EQ is not because ofthe skill of the modellers, but because of the limitations placed on them, to make slider-based modifications of the features possible. so the models need to start with a certain, "blandness" to them, allowing some customization, but the implementation of the face's morph targets could have used a little more work as well, but then who knows if the player wants "pretty" or "ugly"? so therin comes the arguement for blandness. Right now she looks better than a lot of player models (Morrowind for example), but I think that "Voyeurweb.com" amateur pr0n, blandness was perhaps a choice forced on them by limitations inherent in the customization methodology.

Scott
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like what some newbies post as "my first human!", using a poser model (or MakeHuman when we're talking about Blender) and some orange-colored material without any regards towards shaders or stuff and posting the results. This stuff here MIGHT have looked acceptable had they used a proper shader instead of standard lambert lighting (SSS simulation, Oren-Nayar, Ramp, whatever) plus maybe a radiosity bake (or hand painted but it doesn't look like they couild have done that very well). Looking closer, there DOES seem to be some form of color variation in there...

All I'm waiting for is r13 bursting in and telling us to stop bashing his art laugh.gif. (j/k)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, Im with Scott on this.. I dont think its the modelers or texturers fault. More the limitation of the character customization engine.

If anything, it shows the tech behind this needs to improve. Like maybe somehow incorporate that technology behind that face making program.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Scott has a point. The modularity of the facial system definitely limits what's possible.

*However*, the Art is at fault just as much If not more so.

Tech doesn't change the fact that there are fundamental issues of anatomical naiivety that worsen matters. I dont know what school of anatomical study the EQ2 Art team studied at, but it deffo wasn't the same as mine.

Eyes dont angle down at several degrees like that ( EVER. contrary to misconception, not even in an asian skull> I know she's mean't to be caucasian or something, but it really bugs me when artists depict the asian eye as slanted. I defy anyone to show me a ref. pic of this. ALL human eyes sit horizontal in the skull ) , foreheads are larger than that, skin isn't bumpy like that, jawlines aren't wobbly like that unless subject is meant to be old, features shouldn't be so small within the overall faceshape like that, the hair colour shouldn't be as saturated, the skin map not as lacking in variation of colour.......I could go on. It's crappy Art, relying on tech to fix it.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I played starwars galaxies for a while.. they have similiar in depth face modding systems for each race... and I am certain that there characters are 10x better looking than the above example of an ever quest character.
    bad bad bad.

But it could be down to any number of reasons... ie bad planning - rushed development, lack of training for staff, failure to lock features resulting in newer tech that required allot of art assets reworking.. the list goes on. But the sad fact is that its crappy. blush.gif
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the DaoC characters i posted are customizable, not as extreme, but i believe theres 4 difrent morph sliders to adjust your characters head, like eye size, nose length, jaw shape, and (I believe) mouth shape I also think the races with the pointy ears have sliders to adjust the size of the ears.

I don't buy the fact that it looks like ass because its customizable. it looks like ass because it was made to look like ass.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tech doesn't change the fact that there are fundamental issues of anatomical naiivety that worsen matters. I dont know what school of anatomical study the EQ2 Art team studied at, but it deffo wasn't the same as mine.

Eyes dont angle down at several degrees like that ( EVER. contrary to misconception, not even in an asian skull> I know she's mean't to be caucasian or something, but it really bugs me when artists depict the asian eye as slanted. I defy anyone to show me a ref. pic of this. ALL human eyes sit horizontal in the skull ) , foreheads are larger than that, skin isn't bumpy like that, jawlines aren't wobbly like that unless subject is meant to be old, features shouldn't be so small within the overall faceshape like that, the hair colour shouldn't be as saturated, the skin map not as lacking in variation of colour.......I could go on. It's crappy Art, relying on tech to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So where did you learn your anatomy skills?

Sadly I think you are somewhat insufficiently aware of the horrors in this slider system. The jaw line IS wobbly because you can blunt, or sharpen the chin. You can change the angle of the eyes, as well as their size. You can plump or hollow the cheeks, widen or narrow, or raise, or lower the cheekbones. Change the eyebrows. So with judicious tweaking of the sliders you too could toss your art education in the dumper and make this ugly face as well. Limited dev time, and an unfamiliarity with the making of texture maps for Normal Map implemented technology will also add to this. I was the maps for Doom3, and they were beautiful, but in game, they had a waxy , or chalky pallor, with little perceptible color changes across the map.

But to your basic point. Only private instructors offer the in depth anatomy education that was taught in schools before the mid 1960's. See the introduction in "The Animator's Survival Kit" about the academic confusion on the loss of of traditional art skills. Private instruction is expensive, like about $300.00 a week, but the people with the passion for "art" rather than just games, often will find a way, but they are kind of rare, right?

Scott

Scott
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Art school and self.

Sadly?

Im still not buying it Scott. I think its a combination of the two, but crappy base assets from which the slider sytem is founded on are most definitely a factor.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    The clay people in EQ2 don't look very good at all and the very ganeric looking characters don't do much accentuate the normal maps used on them. the number of characters to model, timeframes and scheduling also played a factor in their play-doh look too.

Saying that, it's obviosuly not enough to assume that the tech will somehow be this magical fix that can can make drab stuff look awesome. I've been talking about CS-Source at work and how the engine works and although source has lots of the tech seen in Doom3, it's the way that the tech is implemented that just totally enhances the OVERALL feel of the game, which makes the game that much more immersive. almost everything in CS-Source is normal mapped, bit it's done in a subtle sort of way and that combined with the radiosity bakes gives the overall look of the game more appeal.

If given the opportunity, I'd love to stay after hours to learn the tech better or find a good means of using it than just doing the minumum required to consider something done despite how gross or halfassed it looks. hopefully that will happen sooner than expected at verk.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played with the character creator myself, and at no point of combinations of the sliders did the face look natural or good. There was no combination that was like, "oh this must be how they originally modeled it, this looks good!" It was ugly no matter where you moved it. That to me says that there were no properly made morphs, all of them were piss. Tech could have had a bit to do with it, but even rush, halfway done art from good artists ends up with some modicum of goodness embedded.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    BUT THEY LOOK SO REAL!

I actually prefer the old school EQ characters over this shit
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I would blame the AD for this one. Even if this was the one and only example of bad art in the game, it doesn't take more than half a second to see that it needs to go back to the artist that created it and be redone. And I'm talking about the model itself, not even getting into shader or texture issues. With a game this popular, and a company with amount of resources behind it that Sony has, there should be AD's in place that are giving the assets at least a cursory overview and sending anything back that doesn't meet minimum quality standards.
  • Bradfordart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I think the faces are what bother me the most. The body and costumes look great, and so do the environments. But it looks like the faces were run over with tires and welded back on. Something with the lighting engine or atleast the painted in lighting seems very off as well.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Enviorment isnt that great either, look at the shots Neo_God posted and if you dont notice the CHROMEfall then you must be blind.