Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modelling myself...

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Thought it'd be fun to do a stylized model of myself.
Here's where I'm at after 75 minutes:
model_me_3.jpg
model_me_3b.jpg

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin' good so far. Must be rough having no neck though.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Looking promising. You must save $ hundreds on shoes huh? grin.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah...shame you have a cube for a head...hmmm, nope, it's gotten old already :/

It looks good so far, on the right track for something stylised. Though I don't like the random smoothing groups you have in there. I'd also say you should make the legs a bit thicker.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    DAMMIT! elysium stole the joke I was gonna make!
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    75 mins well spent gj dude keep it up! grin.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Haha thanks for the comments - you bunch of twits!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Jesus Adam, you are a fat bastard aren't you?
    I already talked to you about this model, but upon 2nd inspection the absence of a crotch bothers me as well. The belly comes too low for the crotch not to show through beneath the shirt.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ScoobyPubes: Figures you'd be lookin' for my crotch. :P I haven't worked that area at all (theres also no ass). Will do all that stuff once I'm satisfied with the torso and legs composition.

I had time to do my shoes and begin my hands:
    model_me_4.jpg
  • Jeff Gran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
    Nice model. I like the shape of the legs and shoes... very styly. The hand is looking kinda poofy right now, but I guess it's still wip.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm @ work now and after having a look at the pics I posted I've noticed a few things I could change to fit "me". First, the pants I wear with cargo pockets have bigger pockets and are lower/more close to the knee. My pants tend to touch the ground/floor at the back so I should model that in. I'm a heavy guy, but not as heavy as the model. Also my feet aren't near that big. I am going for a more exaggerated style with this so hopefully that explains the large proportions.

As for the hands - thats only about 15 minutes of work. I wanted to lay some shapes out before I had to head for work so I can continue nicely when I get back in.

I'm hoping to have the model complete by the end of Saturday. I'll post updates as they come.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Threw my bag into the mix:
    model_me_7.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It's shapeing out really well. Has a much better flow to it. The Bag really adds some good detail
    It's actaully starting to look like a GTA model Style wise.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's shapeing out really well. Has a much better flow to it. The Bag really adds some good detail
    It's actaully starting to look like a GTA model Style wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess the game has had an influence - thats for the comments wink.gif
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, coming along nicely. What's the poly count on... yourself? Do you have a target you're shooting for?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I like it, but....
    The book bag, the little straps, planes buddy, planes.
    Next the shirt, way too high to go with those low poly legs of yours.
    The part where the shirt meets the legs, that could use some diffrent directions for those edges, so that it will deform more like a shirt.
    Thats my two cents before i head out to go to the bars!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    FatAssasin: I'm aiming for a 2500-3000 polycount (3500 would be my absolute maximum, but I won't get to it). Thanks aswell.

Thegodzero: Changed the straps. Fixed his shirt some. Here's an udpate:
    model_me_8.jpg
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    face looks too flat... unless you have been hit with a frying pan a few times...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The ends of your sleaves, id like to see. they look like they might be wasiting some polys.

The egde flow of your head could use lots of love, look at a high poly head edge flow and simplify it for this head. you ant rings around the eyes, and the mouth that come together then ring to the back of the head.

Lastly, give yourself a wider chin.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I find you lack of crotch disturbing...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    About ready to being UV'ing this mofo:
    model_me_9.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    3DGuy is right, the face looks too flat. Also the hair seems a bit "square" along the sides to the back - I hope your skull isn't shaped like a cube in real life!

I would also add more mesh detail around the eyes. You've got a shitload of geometry on the nose not really defining much shape, then you've got big flat rectangles for eyes - I say optimise the nose, and pour some polys into the eyes to give them a more realistic shape, also around the eyebrow line.
    Ear could also use some more natural shaping - just mess around with the mesh a bit more there.

The fingers look a bit too "wide" at the moment too, a bit like fish fingers. They should be closer to an equal width and height.

The rest looks pretty solid, proportions and such. Just those things to sort out and it should be ready to UV-map.

MoP
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Certain parts are working, certain parts are not. the pants and the shoes are cool, as is the elbow area of the arm, and the bag. the face, hands, and chest transition into the arm are not. the face looks super generic, and the nose far too high poly for a face with no eyes modeled in. The chest transition into the arms is really globous, I know you are fat 8-P, but there should be more definition of shape and possibly another edge there on the front. The hands just look kind of flat, and the wrist should have another ring. Keep plugging away.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I dont understand the way the poly have been used, realy a case of bad poly distribution..

No edge loop at all too, Thats kinda sad too.

Im not sure how you did the joint too, Weird.

I can explain each my point if u like, but lately I feel people just dont care, so up to u.

I like the hand bag thingy tho, sexy that.

b1ll
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    newbee faults. he prolly wont understand if u tell him. his got to make his experience. i remember how shitty i was when i just started modeling. edgeloop did not seem like logic thing that i easily could understand. however brom keep up the work.
    i agree with the poop mostly
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Well, I'm done messing with the geometry and have the UV's laid out and ready to go.
    model_me_1.jpg

About adding edgeloops: I agree. Spots that I think I should of added them are around the wrists, elbow, and added one to the shoulder to top of the arm area. (Thanks poop for point that out). However, I'd like to keep moving with this and didn't catch this thread until the UV's were all done. I went in and added some edge loops and it was messing up the checkered map I had on the model so I'm not going to bother adding it in. I definitly understand edgeloops but with this being my 2nd character it never crossed my mind until I considered the model done. This will definitly be noted for my next character.

b1ll: If you take the time to explain what you mean I'd take the time to read your words - no doubt about that.

Anyway, depending on how I'm feeling tomorrow I might go back and add in the edge loops then fiddle with the UV's to make sure everything is nice and flush. I'll consider the model paint-ready in the mean time.

Thanks to everyone for their help, means a lot.

-Adam

EDIT: I hate makin' n00b mistakes so I probably will make the changes tomorrow. shifty.gif
    ha
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it to be a bit disrespectfull of you to call this finished, after people have told you again and again that the face is horribly flat. Is it all that hard to either say: "i disagree" (and be wrong) or to simply fix it (and greatly improve the model)
    I think that's also what B1ll was saying... that alot of people post something, people reply, the next post is "thanks guys here r more pictures of the model i fixed nothign hope u like!"
    Surprise us all now, and fix the face.

some pointers: it's the profile of the face that's extremely flat...
    Take a look at Souls latest model, and you'll see how much depth there actually is in a profile.

Also, the neck looks a bit puny, almost as if a gust of wind could snap the head off at the shoulders...
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    think we are missing somthing here , if hes telling the truth then this is his 2nd character , i can remember what my second character looked like , and it was no where near as good as this , so lets give some credit too

Yes , there are some anatomical probelms in the face , and yes there are structural problems in the mesh , but overall its a great start.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Mightypea: As you'll see in the shots I used, I have a pretty flat profile. These are the shots I based the head off of. I'm in the middle of making changes to add some roundness to it. But I'm not going to overdue it.
    mightypea_1.jpg

Now, the hair isn't the same because this picture was taken in the morning before a shower. As you'll see, my profile IS pretty flat. So yes, I disagree... I think the profile of my model is quite similar to that of the image I used for reference.

Thermidor: Yah, 2nd character.

EDIT:
    mightypea_2.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, spent some time tonight adding edgeloops and trying to make the face more round. Here's the face:
    model_me_head.jpg

Added some roundness - added some edgeloops. Time to paint wink.gif
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    take a look at the nose. what is that. it is just an edge/point in the middle?!?!? wtf. u have to get some surface in there. also im not sure if the way u did the alpha plane is efficiant.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    wow qubism, thanks for pointing that out. I think something happened with a vertex weld... fixing now.
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    http://tinypic.com/omiza

I tried to paint where you could move some verts around to add more definiton, also a few spots where you could move objects around. I suck at painting so I hope this helps anyways frown.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Coming on there Adam. Ryan is onto something there with the re-structuring of various edge rows. Definitely around the jawline. Note how in his image the edges sort follow the shape of the jaw, but yours currently dont mean an awful lot.

I still think you could pull around the profile a bit. Although Id agree that your profile in reality is somewhat flat, I bet If you pushed the photograph back and literally aligned it behind your model and made your model semi-transparent, you would see some stuff could be pulled in and out a bit more. To get closer to your profile, the very top of the forehead could go back, and so could the bridge of the nose, the mouth corners and the recess under the lower lip. Defintely getting close though. Impressive for 1st or 2nd character.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ryan77: Thanks for taking the time to throw that down there like you did. I've already began to paint the model. I'm trying to be too entirely picky with the overall shape of my head and face - as I said in the first post I am going for a somewhat stylized version of myself. I will, however ben considering all aspects that everyone here has mentioned when it comes time to do another humanoid model. My new few models after this are going to be inorganic level props and such so it'll be a few months before I come back to characters.

Daz: Thanks for the comments. When I lay the image overtop one of the things that sticks out is the placement of the ears. The actual line creating the outside of the face is pretty much the same as the image. Thanks to you also for your helpful words wink.gif

Time to paint this sucker up.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin pretty good, but methinks you could do the hair better if it was just part of the head geometry, then added some planes at the edges, rather than having rows and rows of planes.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, here's an early shot of the skin in progress:
    model_me_shirt.jpg

Couple of things I'm concerned with: Am I going overboard with the wrinkles/folds? And the blue lines on the shirt - they look too clean. Any technique's for making it look.. hmm, whats the word... unperfect? Unclean? (That make any sense?) I think the problem is that I didn't freehand the thick lines like I did the thinner lines - I just used the paintbrush to do a straight edge, might be the issue. The shirt design is based off of a shirt of mine that I'll post a picture of later.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think you're going overboard on wrinkles. Far from it. Since you actually have the shirt, go and put it on and see where the wrinkles fall.

As for the lines, again you may want to put the shirt on for this, wrinkles will cause the line to either bend up or down depending on the wrinkle. And depending on how the shirt fits, the lines may bend slightly around the pecs and belly since those areas may not be flat surfaces and they're essentially causing large wrinkles.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I actually have a couple of pics and the front is fair wrinkle free. Not until you look at the side of me do you see wrinkles.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Update-a-rooni:
    model_me_shoes.jpg
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks cool. But the pants lack texture
    and detail. I think it would look sweet meshsmooth.
    Goot luck witth the rest of the skin.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Are the texturing in the shadows on the pants right along the lines for the wireframe? You should either add in another edge straight down the front of the leg and/or round out those shadows in the texture, cuz it is looking overly boxy there.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Sexy man-purse action:
    model_me_bag1.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I think you are going way too light on the contrast. Zoom out of your model in your window till the camera is about 20 feet away and see if you can read anything other than the overall color of the model. Try texturing with everything on full bright, so you can see your textures better.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I was thinking my high and low-last I too low contrast. Thanks for the imput poop, will get on that today.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great overall. I'm assuming you're going to texture the face.

Just a few nitpicky things I noticed, too many wrinkles going down the leg from the crotch, the wrists seems a little thin, and the shoes are way too white.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The whitness in the shoes is from my poor lighting skills. I threw on some tiny wrists to help the exaggeration of large hands - but i can definitly add to them if they're looking TOO thin. Thanks for the help on the wrinkles, I'll see what I can do.

And yah, face and hair still need work.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, this is a cool model smile.gif

Good job. Maybe a little more detail in the texture would be good, but I understand this is a WIP