Home Technical Talk

UT2004 model animations working in-game?

TheRomulans
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TheRomulans polycounter lvl 18
Right, I have the simple task of adding to the default UT2004 model animations.

Take the HumanMale, MercMaleB, for example. I'd like to add to the animation set BipedMaleA an animation, any animation, as this seems to be the only way of getting these animations working in-game?

That is, using the ScriptController's AI Script "action_playAnim" seems to only work with the default animation set (BipedMaleA). I can do "ThroatCut" to my heart's content but getting a custom animation happening ontop of that seems impossible with a custom animation set?

So there are two solutions to this:
1. Somehow getting a custom animation set's custom animations working in-game (for use in the xPawn's AI Script).
OR
2. Appending to the BipedMaleA animation set.

Using Maya PLE and the UT2004 plug-in I've tried this second option by naming the output animation set "BipedMaleA" (multiCh is default), however this crashes UnrealEd.

I thought it'd make sense for the first solution for it to reference, for example, multiCh.nod (animation_set.animation)... but Ued doesn't allow that it seems.

I've successfully gotten the animations into Ued as a custom animation set, working fine. Just using them in-game is the problem it seems.

Thanks so much for any assistance. confused.gif

Replies

• TheRomulans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, is this the right Polycount forum for this sort of question?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Did you tell your model to use the anims (Animation browser, tab "Mesh"->"Animation"->"Default Animation")? I know there are multiple anim sets in the game that work so the name isn't the issue. Perhaps your model is still set to "MeshAnimation'HumanMaleA.BipedMaleA'"?
  • TheRomulans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By "my model is still set to BipedMaleA" you mean the default animation?

If this works, and I wouldn't be surprised if it does, wouldn't changing the default animation to my custom animation set remove the functionality of the BipedMaleA which kind of defeats the purpose of having both animation sets working?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I may have misunderstood something and you already tried it but I would assume that you can use only one animset on the model and would have to make a modified copy of BipedMaleA. I doubt the engine allows for using anims from multiple animsets...
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    What KDR_11k said - the engine, afaik, doesn't allow that...

I suggest you go download the sdk animation-sets from some major Unreal site, and try to merge the sdk BipedMaleA set into your own set (if it's possible in Maya), then import it all onto your own model in UED...
  • TheRomulans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Chip V2 has apparently written up some sort of UScript workaround on the Atari forums, I might give that a go. But yes, apparently having two animations sets... there is no point.