Home General Discussion

Consumer Whore.........

NoSeRider
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
dwyerlogo.gif

http://www.illegal-art.org/print/#consumer

Interesting stories about copyright infringement.

Replies

• frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    The only reason I clicked on was cos of the word whore.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I've never actually consumed anything from a Starbucks. Is it any good? (yes, I realize this line of inquiry is off-topic)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Vermilion: Yeah, I had a chocolate brownie from Starbucks here in the UK once. It was very nice, and only a little overpriced. One of the better chocolate brownies I've tasted.

Never drank anything from there though.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    read thru most of them and yeah i can see where the lawsuits comefrom, also a lot of that i don't think of as art.. "yes well, i cut up a bunch of KFC boxes an glued the bits into a circle." deep art there pal.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    also a lot of that i don't think of as art.. "yes well, i cut up a bunch of KFC boxes an glued the bits into a circle." deep art there pal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I blame Marcel Duchamp. In my opinion, that motherfucker ruined art for the 20th century (with honorable mentions to Piet Mondrian and Jackson Pollack.)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    just because Duchamp was cheeky as hell didn't mean he ruined art. though he did open the floodgates up for... cut up KFC boxes, i guess. imo, it's art, probably just not very good or expressive art laugh.gif

illegal art sponsors some fun stuff, though. i think a lot of copyright law (especially as it regards to sampling) is a crock of shit.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duchamp wasn't an artist, he was a con man. Many people don't agree with me on the following (and I've had many arguments through various art history courses about it), but I don't feel art is art unless it is a combination of both creative expression/interpretation AND technical skill. If you're feeling angry and depressed one day, that's certainly emotional, but violently throwing red and black paint on a canvas didn't just create artwork. In the same vein, flipping a urinal over and calling it a fountain means you're a smartass, not an artist. Duchamp managed to convince people otherwise, and (IMO) inadvertantly gave rise to the snobbish, supercilious art critic culture we have today, in which people hang white painted canvas on a white wall above a white leather couch and pretend they're some sort of sophisticated cultural elite. I don't expect people here to see it this way, as very few people elsewhere do, but I revile most so-called modern 'art' as intellectual bullshit. If you threw it together in twenty minutes and no one can tell what in the hell it's supposed to represent, it's not art and you're not an artist. Art that cannot communicate effectively is no different than the aimless scribbling of a small child.

Yes, I have very strong feelings about this. Not surprisingly, I changed my major after just two years laugh.gif

And, you know, I think this would be a pretty interesting discussion to have here on Polycount, but I don't know how many people are reading this thread...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Vermilion: I agree with you totally on the points in your last post. I am of the same opinion when it comes to so-called "art" that takes next to no effort or skill.

I have a feeling that if I got a stuffed cat, superglued it into a cracked terracotta plant-pot, and superglued the pot at 90 degrees to the horizontal on a large white wall, in a room with nothing else inside it, I would probably win the Turner Prize.
    The last few winners of the Turner Prize here in the UK have been utter bullshit. I think one of them was a white room where the lights periodically turned on and off. Nothing else. Utter crap. Like you say, it's not art, it's smart-assery.

Give a modern art critic a random assortment of objects that you found lying in the street, and the critic will probably go on about "the juxtaposition of the broken bottle and the soggy newspaper creates tension in the piece and reveals the artist's horror of modern consumer culture" or something.

Arses.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I read the one about the "U2" single. What a bunch of smartasses desperate for attention and money. Haha, I'm an artist because I rebel. Bullshit.

I'd like to find a copy of the Disneyland Orgy. :P
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    *Vermillion's commentary on art*

[/ QUOTE ]

Preach it, brother! Go tell it on the mountain! Although some of Pollack's stuff is nice. I hate Mondrian, though, although I do admire some of his technical skill. I'm often conflicted. confused.gif

Frank the Avenger