Home Technical Talk

UV mapping question.

Rambozo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rambozo polycounter lvl 18
Hello everyone, I have a question about UV maps.

I'm working with multiple lods. I was wondering if there is a tool to simply clone the UV mapping from one model to the next. I mean something that works like a normal mapper. Anything like this exhist? This would save me MUCHO time.

Thanx a bunch for the help.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What program are you using? Might make it easier for people to answer your question.
    I can't think of anything offhand that would do this.

What I usually do for LOD models, in 3DS Max, is take the original fully-detailed model, and just use the "MultiRes" modifier on it - that will preserve the general UV layout and remove mesh detail at the same time, pretty handy.

MoP
  • Rambozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rambozo polycounter lvl 18
    I could try that. I had bad results with mesh reducers though. I'm working to really tight standards. So I dunno that this is gonna work for me. I am pretty much doing all lods by hand. I'm just trying to find something that would help me cut down on the time a bit.

Im pretty much just looking for a standalone tool to try. Something that will take a a source model and clone the UV to a destination model. Its probably just wishful thinking though.

I'm gonna check that out in Max. If it works out, then that would be the solution to all my problems. I would be a REALLY happy camper then.

Thanx a million for the suggestion.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently Max 7 has a way to project UVs from one mesh to another. I haven't tried it yet though.

Barring that, best bet IMO is to use Editable Poly and remove edge loops (or rings) manually. Should preserve the UVs.

MultiRes tended to chew up the topology for me, making the lower LODs not nice to deform... edges tended to cross the joints, instead of go around them. And it also seemed to make assymetrical choices. But like MoP says, it's hella quick.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, EricChadwick makes a good point about MultiRes breaking geometry which was built to deform - I found a good way around this is to rig the original mesh first, then place it in a pose where the elbows and knees are bent, and THEN add a MultiRes modifier to the top of the stack.
    That should preserve the vertex weights for the rig, so you can optimise the mesh then re-pose it in it's neutral state and collapse the stack, which hopefully will leave you with an optimised mesh with working deformations.

MoP
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I optimize the meshes by hand using Editable Poly. Like Eric said, if you use the Remove button for verts and edges it will keep the UV's. Plus Max 7 has an option to move geometry without affecting the UV's, very handy. This way you end up with a clean, efficient mesh and can keep your edges right where you need them and end up with a mesh that will still deform good even at low poly counts.
  • sonofangron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonofangron polycounter lvl 18
    I had a 2500 triangle mesh which was already UV mapped.

but later I reduced it to 1500 triangles.

The UVs were preserved despite the fact that I removed some verts, etc. (note: I collapsed the unwrap mod before editing the mesh)

BUT some of the UVs got stretched. But this is ok I guess considering not all UVs got messed up.

(on max6 btw)