Home Technical Talk

Blocking out complex surfaces. How ?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Raphael_Bouch polycounter lvl 2
Hey there !

I'm trying to model this Goliath ship from the old MMO online game Dark Orbit.
But no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get the exact proportions for it
httpsexternal-contentduckduckgocomiuuhttps3A2F2Fvignettewikianocookienet2Fdarkorbit2Fimages2F02F0e2FAmber_Goliathpng2Frevision2Flatest3Fcb3D20121123210017f1nofb1iptcfd34e7632b6431e6f46aa1f635332cc2dca6547296483256a2ae6e9b2358fbeipoimages

The mesh is fairly low poly yet the curvature to make the transition around the back frame and the thruster is too dense to make smooth editing.

I started with a rough outline of the shapes but turns out the proportions are still wrong. What am I doing wrong ?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    not sure there is anything you can improve. you've got some geometry to work with, it's rougly the right shape and proportion, now you just got to nudge things around until it looks right.

the fewer vertices you have in total, the quicker and easier that is to do. 

at a glance it looks like the circular wing things on the original are more of a perfect circle shape, while yours is stretched out more.

adjusting the shape and then fixing wobbles in the curvature shouldn't be a blocking issue. I think that is blender which i dont know terminology for, but in maya you can use Edit Edge flow to average out loops - i am sure blender will have equivalent tool just have to find the name. But basically if you have the two ends of a curve defined then you can just insert new loops, use edit edge flow to average them out for perfect blend.  

so workflow can be use soft select to nudge things roughly, then edit edge flow to smooth it out perectly
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Easy. Just freeze the original, make it transparent. Place the new model over it and trace the shape.