Home Technical Talk

Trimsheet Question

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Ewan triangle

Hi everyone, I'm working with trimsheets for the first time and have a few questions:

• How can I maintain a consistent texel density with my UV shell? My object often ends up being too large, so I have to rescale my UV maps significantly each time to fit the trim.

• How should I use horizontal tiling if my UV island is too big for the ornament on the trimsheet? If the ornament is too small, should I make it bigger on the trim to give it more space?

• This might be a silly question, but is there a way to tile horizontally to get more squares without stretching the UV island?

• In terms of workflow, do you create the trim first and then model, or is it the other way around?

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Generally trim sheets tile horizontally. 

It's one of those weird things you'll probably model and create at the same time, at least with a quick blockout. Once the trim sheet is done you can make more models quickly that take advantage of it. You don't NEED a block or model to start a trim sheet, but it helps me figure how to break up the sheet. 

I'll sometimes model, UV, and if I want a longer version, duplicate and merge that do I don't need to UV the same layout but longer. Works well with reused parts of models like windows and pillars. 
  • Ewan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ewan triangle
    Firstly, @ZacD thank you for you clarification now i've another question that is related to that: 

Currently, I'm participating in the bimonthly challenge on Polycount and working on this environment:

Is it better to use tiling material instead of a trimsheet for the stone brick parts in the concept? I've tried to fit all of that inside a trimsheet, but it's not enough. Should I then create a separate trimsheet for the detailed parts, like those on the columns?

some of my attempt not gone so well to fit all in the trim: 

• aprats91
    Ewan said:
    Firstly, @ZacD thank you for you clarification now i've another question that is related to that: 

Currently, I'm participating in the bimonthly challenge on Polycount and working on this environment:

Is it better to use tiling material instead of a trimsheet for the stone brick parts in the concept? I've tried to fit all of that inside a trimsheet, but it's not enough. Should I then create a separate trimsheet for the detailed parts, like those on the columns?

some of my attempt not gone so well to fit all in the trim: 

Personally, in this case, I would opt to use a tileable material for the walls, combining it with vertex painting to blend two or three different materials. This would help break up the repetitive tiling pattern. I would incorporate variations of these stones, including some that are more worn, dirty, or partially covered by some type of coating. I would also consider adding decals in a later pass to add more detail and realism.

Using trim sheets for the walls is another viable option, although it requires more planning. However, even with this technique, it's essential to include texture variations to avoid a repetitive look.