Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thoughts on character bust idea

DustyShinigami
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DustyShinigami polycounter lvl 4
Hi

Apologies if this isn't the correct place for this. Feel free to move it.

Okay, I had an idea for a portfolio piece. I had this idea some time ago, but it re-surfaced, and especially whilst I've been doing a character/face mentorship. My mentor though doesn't feel it's a good idea. It's not something they would want to see in a portfolio. They've said this is only their opinion of course. It's mainly because it's stylised and has that 'look' about it from the 80s/early 90s. And the fact I have no idea what gave the original creators their inspiration/ideas. I don't know what they referenced, so I can't really find or use similar ones. One such area that comes to mind is around the clavicles for instance.

So my idea... I was considering making a bust of the Grand High Witch from the 1990s The Witches. Personally, I think the design looks cool. And it's one of those films I grew up with as a kid that scared me. Along with The Dark Crystal, which is also a Jim Henson film. My mentor doesn't think it looks well designed though. Obviously, it's made of prosthetics and rubber, but surely a realistic looking sculpt wouldn't have that issue? If done correctly, it would look and feel real and organic like any other creature sculpt, like a goblin or an orc etc.?

I'm curious what other (character) artists think? Is this something you would like to see in someone's portfolio? Especially if done right? Would this make for a good/interesting piece?

What also appeals is the fact that nobody (at least on ArtStation) has made this. Not one single sculpt of her. So if I did it, I'd be the first. :)

Thanks

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Sure if done well, could be a great folio piece. Just don't end it at the sculpt, do a finished asset.
  • pxgeek
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek greentooth
    If your goal is to one-up the design with modern vfx while paying homage to the original (and have a burning desire to do so) then go for it. It's art after all, you should make something that interests you.
    Otherwise If you're primarily wanting to have a high quality character model for a portfolio, then you may be better served choosing something that is already well designed to begin with. That way you can just focus on the technical stuff.
    Because I would have to agree that it is not a great design to begin with (I mean, look at that chin...the designers must have been trolling).

Also, you might be putting too much stock on being unique on artstation...my two cents.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    yeah i mean, the character is clearly a gag. the chin is a ballsack, the nose is cock and balls. its hideous. It is hilarious. 
    but it is a lot more difficult to make an appealing character, compared to a hideous one.
  • DustyShinigami
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    Sure if done well, could be a great folio piece. Just don't end it at the sculpt, do a finished asset.
    Yep, that was the plan. :) I was planning on modelling the jewellery, making the hair, having one instance of her bald, and another with the wig, making the eyes, UV unwrapping everything, baking, texturing...
  • DustyShinigami
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek said:
    If your goal is to one-up the design with modern vfx while paying homage to the original (and have a burning desire to do so) then go for it. It's art after all, you should make something that interests you.
    Otherwise If you're primarily wanting to have a high quality character model for a portfolio, then you may be better served choosing something that is already well designed to begin with. That way you can just focus on the technical stuff.
    Because I would have to agree that it is not a great design to begin with (I mean, look at that chin...the designers must have been trolling).

Also, you might be putting too much stock on being unique on artstation...my two cents.
    Alex_J said:
    yeah i mean, the character is clearly a gag. the chin is a ballsack, the nose is cock and balls. its hideous. It is hilarious. 
    but it is a lot more difficult to make an appealing character, compared to a hideous one.
    LOL regarding the chin and nose. XD True. Maybe that's what my mentor was getting at lol. I don't mind making something hideous. After all, monsters and creatures are fun to sculpt.

But yeah, this wouldn't be a game-ready character piece, which would be better, I guess. I'm not sure how I could one-up the original design though. I mean, I'm not a character designer by any means. If I knew what they took inspiration from and the references used, then that would make it much easier.
  • pxgeek
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek greentooth
    I'm not sure how I could one-up the original design though.
    Mostly I meant with lighting and shading
  • grumix8
    Offline / Send Message
    grumix8 polycounter lvl 4
    Be the most exact you can. Link it up in many medias and youtube and you will get many good likes.
  • DustyShinigami
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek said:
    I'm not sure how I could one-up the original design though.
    Mostly I meant with lighting and shading
    Hmm, okay. Purple lighting is definitely something I've considered. Or purple and green. Along with making a more realistic looking skin shader.
  • DustyShinigami
    Offline / Send Message
    grumix8 said:
    Be the most exact you can. Link it up in many medias and youtube and you will get many good likes.
    I don't tend to have much of a social media presence, to be honest. ^^; Anything I've shared in the past, along with a timelapse on YouTube of the current project I'm working on, mostly gets ignored.