Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge | July - August (91)

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Pinkfox sublime tool
Hey everyone! Welcome to the 91st edition of the Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge for the months of July and August!

This challenge is a way for real-time 3D artists to test their skills and create a piece of work based on concepts provided. It's open to those of all skill levels and we do our best to provide meaningful feedback along the way so everyone can come away from the challenge with actionable points on which they can improve their craft!

Anyone is welcome in this challenge no matter your skill level! It's a test of your own ability not a competition between members. We're all here to improve as artists and learn from each other.

- ENVIRONMENTS -

HARD SURFACE ENVIRONMENT:

Throne Hall in Cathedral by Olga Lihota

STYLIZED ENVIRONMENT:

Practice by Paul Crafter

- PROPS -

HARD SURFACE PROP:

Ascendant Infinity: Fabricator by Alfie Garland

STYLIZED PROP:

Magic shrines and props by Marina Papetti
Note: I've confirmed with Marina that they are comfortable with those participating in the challenge to use this concept.

- RULES -

Please read all the rules before starting:
  • Try to post at least one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • Try your best to finish as much as you can in the time frame provided, but remember even if you don't finish by the end of the challenge we encourage you to keep pushing and finish your piece!
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. Please avoid creating a new thread as we don't want to spam out the forums.
  • It is recommended to use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine, Unity, and Godot are very common engines that can be used but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag for example.)
  • Feel free to change up your chosen concept a bit if you want! Interpret these concepts to your liking, especially if your aim is to add storytelling elements.
  • If you finish your project and decide to post it to something like Artstation, make sure you give credit to the concept artist in the form of a link to their profile. Additionally, it is recommended to ask a concept artist for their permission to post a 3D piece based on their work before doing so.

- RECOMMENDATIONS -

• When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing. Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.
  • Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, don't be afraid to make it your own.
  • We strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel.
The goal is to learn and grow both artistically and in your ability to both give and receive critique, but don't stress about it and remember to have fun!

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• Djyver
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
    hmmm, stylized environment by Paul Crafter looks interesting) 
  • miriuk
    Offline / Send Message
    miriuk polycounter lvl 3
    Hi I will do the cathedral one, maybe the blockout is done, I was thinking to render in Unity as I dont have anything in Unity on my portfolio

• Djyver
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
    fast blockout 
  • SimãoSilva
    Offline / Send Message
    SimãoSilva polycounter lvl 8
    Finished the high poly for the hard surface prop, might add some details like recesses for the buttons and such.

• dirtspacer
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtspacer triangle
    Looking great y'all! This is my first time doing one of these challenges. I've got the low poly version modeled with some rudimentary materials for the Owl Shrine. 
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Looking great y'all! This is my first time doing one of these challenges. I've got the low poly version modeled with some rudimentary materials for the Owl Shrine. 

Love it dirtspacer, great start man :) Am jumping on this too, rarely get to do some environmental pieces so I figured I'd throw an asset in, block in for now, (flames are just mesh placeholders for now.) Will do bulk of it tomorrow. Ty guys

Edit:
    Should be working now out of quotation, thanks!
  • dirtspacer
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtspacer triangle
    Torch said:
    Love it dirtspacer, great start man :) Am jumping on this too, rarely get to do some environmental pieces so I figured I'd throw an asset in, block in for now, (flames are just mesh placeholders for now.)
    Thanks!! Ooh, even your flame placeholders look really good, and wow the stone part is already so clean! By the way, it seems like your image isn't showing, maybe because it's in the quoted text (I was able to see it when I started replying to you).
  • stahlwart
    Offline / Send Message
    stahlwart polygon

Trying this owl shrine out first! I'd like to give the hard-surface prop a go at some point too. :3

• Eric Chadwick
    Love seeing these challenges! Go go go!!
  • Djyver
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
    WIP sculpt result of cliffs. Experimental version yet. I want find shapes better.
    Or maybe not :D

• EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 19
    I started this last night, not much to look at yet. I thought I'd make the fox shrine since no one has started one yet. 

• dirtspacer
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtspacer triangle
    EtotheRic said:
    I started this last night, not much to look at yet. I thought I'd make the fox shrine since no one has started one yet. 
    Oh, wow, I didn't even realize there were other props in the link! Excited to see this one! I'm curious about the branch - is that nurbs?

___
    Here's my final version of the owl shrine, implemented in Unity. I'm most happy with my texture painting, and least happy with my moss sculpting/shading. EDIT: actually, I forgot - I am least happy with my UV mapping mistakes on the stone columns!

And the textures attached:

• EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    @dirtspacer
    Congrats on finishing it! You could try adding it to sketchfab since you have time. 

So I wrote the artist who made the fox shrine concept and didn't get a response. I don't really want to keep going with the 3D in that case. I could either concept something or use one from an art book. 
  • dirtspacer
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtspacer triangle
    EtotheRic said:
    @dirtspacer
    Congrats on finishing it! You could try adding it to sketchfab since you have time. 

So I wrote the artist who made the fox shrine concept and didn't get a response. I don't really want to keep going with the 3D in that case. I could either concept something or use one from an art book. 
    Thanks! Yeah, I noticed they want us to DM them for permission :-: I wish I noticed before I finished the model. Maybe @Pinkfox could pick another concept in its place? 
  • Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    @dirtspacer Hi! Congratulations on finishing the shrine.

My main critique would be that the shading looks a bit wrong, for example corners lack definition and flat areas have shading gradients. Checking the textures, it looks like you used an tangent-space normal map for the overgrowth and some other type normal map for the shrine? As far I know, the default Unity materials take a tangent-space normal map. Did you create a custom shader/material? Other things to check is that the texture type set to Normal Map and the normal maps have correct handedness for Unity (OpenGL). How does the shading look in your texturing/baking application and of the original highpoly - that's something you can compare against.  Normal Map - Technical Details in the wiki.

Generally, I think you could get some more out of the textures, as currently they look a bit blurry/unrefined. But I understand that if you don't want continue work on this if the concept artist is unresponsive.

Keep it up :+1:
  • dirtspacer
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtspacer triangle
    Fabi_G said:
    @dirtspacer Hi! Congratulations on finishing the shrine. 

My main critique would be …
    Thanks for the feedback! These are great points and I will take your advice. Fortunately, Marina got back to me and said that as long as I give credit, I can continue work! 
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    I just heard back from Marina as well so I'll be continuing on with the fox shrine. 
  • Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    Hey! Apologies for not getting back to you both more quickly, but I'm glad you've been able to get affirmation from the artist.

Generally speaking, the primary goal of these challenges isn't to create a portfolio piece. Obviously, it's a positive experience to be able to display what you've done here, I totally understand that, but if that was the only goal then that can ultimately be done at anytime by seeking out concepts you're interested in or creating something all your own.

These challenges are meant to create a structured environment in which there are criteria you're trying to hit. From meeting the deadline of the challenge time frame, matching the stylistic needs defined by the concept, handling how to give and receive feedback, and delivering a finished piece. If you're able to get a portfolio piece out of it then that's wonderful! Thankfully, most concept artist are very positive about their work being used with credit so you typically can. However, it was never stated to be a guarantee. I apologize if any of the language used in the main post made it seem as such.
  • dirtspacer
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtspacer triangle
    Thank you for the clarification, and no worries. I was just concerned since Marina's profile states "Please ASK me for permission via DM if you want to recreate any of my original concepts in 3D", which I interpreted as restrictive of any recreations, including WIP posts in forums like this. I'm glad everything ended up fine after I sent the DMs though. :) 

And thank you for facilitating this challenge. Being unemployed at the moment, it's really, really great to work alongside you all and have a place to get feedback!
  • Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    That's definitely on me for not seeing that note in the description, which is pretty bad since it's the first sentence. I'll be sure to be more diligent in the future to double check that sort of thing prior to posting future challenges. :)

Edit: I reached out to Marina to verify that they're alright with the use of their concept for the challenge. They confirmed that it isn't an issue but I'll be sure to be more careful in the future!
  • dirtspacer
  • Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Got started with the gate concept. To speed things up, I went with a trim-sheet approach and will go from there. Recent version, Unity, baked lighting:

Added some fog planes with a panning noise to add some local fog.

For the wall rock module, I cut a box into shape, built a compound shape from that, re-meshed and decimated, then unwrapped and applied a tiling material in Unity. The baked lighting smoothes out some of the hard edges. I also reused some other rocks I did in the past.

The growth emerging from the entrance is sculpted in Blender. In the end I added a "Displacement" modifier to inflate the whole shape slightly, making it more blobby.

I'm using vertex color to add some gradient masks to the models. In this case I'm transferring vertex color from proxy meshes via the "Data Transfer" modifier. I find this very handy when the model is still being iterated on. 

The trim sheet was mainly modeling with some additional details using floaters (with "_ignorbackface" for AO baking).

Next, I want to add some details to the ground/path. I feel on closeup details are lacking. Maybe adding detail textures will help. And possibly reflections need work. Curious to see updates, keep it up :+1:
  • Ewan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ewan triangle
    Hi everyone! I'm working on the  Cathedral environment and I'm almost finished with the modeling. I would really appreciate any critiques or feedback you might have. Thanks!
  • dirtspacer
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtspacer triangle
    Ewan said:
    Hi everyone! I'm working on the  Cathedral environment and I'm almost finished with the modeling. I would really appreciate any critiques or feedback you might have. Thanks!
    The lighting render looks really good! One thing I noticed, and it might be challenging to fix, is that the proportions of the columns/arches look like they are wider / more squat in your model than in the concept art. 
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! Got started with the gate concept. To speed things up, I went with a trim-sheet approach and will go from there. Recent version, Unity, baked lighting...

Thanks for sharing your process! The result is exquisite. If I were to critique anything, it would just be the angle of the shot, which I feel doesn't convey the scale well. 

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @Ewan, looking cool :+1:
    Along the lines what dirtspacer wrote, I'd note that in regards to overall proportions the hall in the concept feels higher and more vertical. The top part of the pillars looks a bit too massive in my opinion. Here is a rough overpaint on the concept, assuming a step height of 20 cm.

That's just my interpretation of course and I think it's fine to divert from the concept.

What's the plan for texturing things?

@dirtspacer Thanks for the feedback! Aside from adding a few more elements to the scene and expanding the material, I have been looking for different angles. Maybe I can add something for better scale reference.

The most recent state inside Unity:

Keep it up!

• Ewan
    Offline / Send Message
    Ewan triangle

I've checked the proportions, which are roughly the same as your drawing. I'll post a screenshot of the arches without the distortion of perspective.

Also, I adjusted the proportions to make the environment walkable for the player.  the top of the pillars are to remake because they don't follow the concept art

for texturing, I don't have a concrete plan because this is my first time doing this, and I'm figuring things out as I go. but I do have a vision in mind: I want to make the throne the hero prop since it's the main focal point of the scene.
    For the rest of the environment, I plan to use a trimsheet because the objects are too large to fit in the 0 to 1 UV space.

Thanks @Fabi_G @dirtspacer for the feedback :)

• Djyver
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
    Fabi_G said:
    The most recent state inside Unity:

Keep it up!

Wow! Your gate so nice, good mystery atmosphere. I want to achieve similar result =) 
  • miriuk
    Offline / Send Message
    miriuk polycounter lvl 3
    Here is my progress so far, I would really appreciate any critiques or feedback

• Djyver
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
    Some update. Blocking moved to UE. Sculpt of pillar
  • Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ewan Nice to learn what scale you extracted from the concept :+1:
    I think it's a bit of a balancing act between capturing the feel of the concept and having a good play space. I suppose if one wanted to keep the concepts feel of verticality, the pillars could be made taller so the room proportions are preserved. Here is an overpaint attempt:

Of course tis will lead to more space that needs to be accounted for.

Don't know if you did a greybox/blockout step in engine, personally I find this very helpful to build out a space without thinking too much about actual modeling already.

@Djyver Thanks for the comment. Cool looking update, like the damage on the pillars :+1:

@miriuk Nice update! I think it might become to noisy/contrasty as a whole, so the elements don't stand out from each other, for example pillars against walls, affecting the overall readability. To counter this, you reduce the contrast an element has. In the case of the pillars, merge them more together by decreasing the gaps between segments. Additionally you can emphasize vertical lines to create even more readability. Here is an overpaint for illustration: 

Also, I'd be cautious to not overdo it with the edge wear. It can be tempting sometimes, but I think it should fit the theme of the environment. In my mind this is a maintained, royal interior hall, so I imagine the weathering/damage is not substantial and the shapes are fairly clean. Generally, I would recommend to not solely rely on the concept as reference, but also look up some real-life locations that fit the theme and take notes from them. The concept artist likely did the same, but we only see the end result.

Excited to see the various interpretations of the concepts, keep it up people :+1:
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the high poly assets here. I'll render the leaves out to some hero leaf clumps and probably add some sort of ground to... ground things. 

Fabi_G That looks really cool, like something you'd see in some deep dark souls cavern. Maybe you can add a slumped skeleton tucked away behind one of the side pedestals to emphasize scale. 
  • Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    @EtotheRic Thanks for the comment and I like the idea!

I think the sculpt is looking great, the details in particular. What would improve it even further for me, would be if the roots were a bit more irregular, like they where searching the ground for water

If you're using sub-division levels could do this on a lower level keeping the nice surface detail intact. Without use of sub-division level, it could be done using some deformers. Some additional roots could be added by copying an existing segment and deforming it along a spline.

Keep up the great work!
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G Heya, thank you for the feedback! I didn't see it till just now but next update I'll add some more randomness and more branching to the roots. 

Here's the low-poly in the meantime.

• stahlwart
    Offline / Send Message
    stahlwart polygon
    had a bit of a miserable time re-learning retopology and messing up my UVs wayyyy too many times :') but I'm really happy that I can finally get on to texture painting.

It's been really cool learning from everyone in these challenges and seeing what people can do!

• EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the roots, added some rubble chunks and got the UVs done.

I'll be making a separate texture for the alpha and emissive stuff. 
  • kwagner
    Offline / Send Message
    kwagner polycounter lvl 7
    Joining this a bit late, but I'm going to add to the challenge and see if I can get this done by the end of the month. Learning Plasticity at the moment for hard surface modelling, so I think I can do it! 

• miriuk
    Offline / Send Message
    miriuk polycounter lvl 3
    thanks @Fabi_G  I still have a lot to do following your feedback and more details until end fo this challenge
    Here my last update

• kwagner
    Offline / Send Message
    kwagner polycounter lvl 7
    Highpoly is just about done :D (I haven't decided if I want to do up the back of it or not.)