Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Stylized Town Gaigai Island - Looking for feedback

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
I'm currently working on an environment based on a concept art I found on ArtStation to add to my portfolio.
My goal is to achieve a similar stylized look to games like Overwatch.

I came here looking for feedback since none of my friends who work in the industry are willing to give me brutaly honest criticism.

Here's the original concept art by 阿 久

Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress.

I try to stick as much as possible to the concept art. Like, if it was up to me, I would've added a lot more to the scene; but I still deviated from the concept art trying to translate into 3D objects that are way to crude/simplistic or just straight up don't make any sense (like the hotel sign pointing away from the building) and I don't know if I'm making myself less employable because of that.

Replies

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Looking nice so far.

The biggest thing that jumps out to me is that your not using the same shape language that was meticulously designed in the schematic view (the exaggerated angles of the buildings, doors, windows, shutters etc.)

I would also say that everything looks/feels a bit soft or lacking definition...maybe from haphazard use of edge mask?

Keep at it!
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Just a note, you aren't making yourself less employable by not following the concept 1:1. If you can make changes to the scene the ultimately benefit your environment in some way and make it better overall, that will show employers that you have a good eye and are able to make creative decisions while working. That said defiantly make sure you're understand the style and shape language of the original piece like pxgeek mentioned, because that is more important in the end than something like the hotel sign facing a different way.