Home Marmoset

Render Shadow Pass Only

DustyShinigami
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
DustyShinigami polycounter lvl 4
Hi

Is it possible to render out the shadow pass of a model on its own like you can in 3ds Max/Maya? Or can it only be captured/rendered with the model?

Thanks

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, you can render direct and indirect shadows - check out the render pass functionality. Render passes can be added in the render object properties. They can also be previewed in the viewport by selecting them in the rendering mode dropdown and by cycling through , and . on your keyboard.
  • DustyShinigami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, you can render direct and indirect shadows - check out the render pass functionality. Render passes can be added in the render object properties. They can also be previewed in the viewport by selecting them in the rendering mode dropdown and by cycling through , and . on your keyboard.
    Ahh, awesome. That's how you go about it. Thank you. :)

Only thing is though, I don't see any Render Passes/options just for the shadows? I have a shadow capture set up in my test scene, a single directional light, and I'm using the main camera, but none of the light options show anything for shadows. Just AO, Lighting, Diffuse, and Specular.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Only thing is though, I don't see any Render Passes/options just for the shadows? I have a shadow capture set up in my test scene, a single directional light, and I'm using the main camera, but none of the light options show anything for shadows. Just AO, Lighting, Diffuse, and Specular.
    Ah yes, you're right, there are various diffuse lighting passes but not a shadows-only pass. And I don't think the shadow catcher registers in the render passes on the moment.

If you can tell me more about what you're trying to do I may be able to give better advice.
  • DustyShinigami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ah yes, you're right, there are various diffuse lighting passes but not a shadows-only pass. And I don't think the shadow catcher registers in the render passes on the moment.

If you can tell me more about what you're trying to do I may be able to give better advice.
    Essentially the same as what you can do in Maya and 3ds Max where you can render out the floor shadow separately? I believe, the last time I did it, you're able to toggle the model off so only the shadow is seen? It's just to make it easier to composite everything together in Photoshop. Ideally with renders from Marmoset and Unreal.