Home General Discussion

Summer Game Fest today - 10:00 pm BST, 2:00 pm PT - Live from YouTube Theater

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
https://www.summergamefest.com/

10:00 pm BST, 2:00 pm PT

Live from YouTube Theater, get a look at what's next in video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZzia5NrMuU 

Replies

• littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage

Hello, okay this is a grumpy old man here, reminiscing about the golden days of E3. Remember those times when game reveals had the perfect balance of anticipation and time to soak in the excitement? Sure, there were some hilarious mishaps and meme-worthy moments, but that was part of the charm.

Now, let's talk about the Summer Game Fest 2024. It was a mixed bag for me, leaving me with a curious sense of underwhelm. Yes, there were some fantastic, blockbuster announcements that got my heart racing, and the indie games showcased were truly delightful. But here's the thing: we need more time to engage with these game titles. That's the real magic ingredient that's missing.

So, here’s my take in a nutshell:

Pros

• Indie Dev Spotlight: I loved how the event pushed indie developers into the spotlight. It’s about time these creative minds got the recognition they deserve.

• Industry Honesty: The event started on a sincere note, acknowledging the tough year for the industry and being upfront about the layoffs. It was a sobering but appreciated touch.

Cons

• Rendered Trailers Overload: Too many trailers without actual gameplay footage. We want to see the real deal, not just shiny cutscenes, and I do love renders but it needs to be balanced with in game footage, not a product placement! I think the Wukong management made a mistake here.

• Spending Cap on Movie Stars. Chill out with the over the top adverts, that Supercell Chicken thing was to long and to much budget on movie actors.

• Breakneck Pace: The event felt rushed. It needs to be stretched out over a day or two. Get a variety of presenters, slow the pace, and give each game around ten minutes to shine. Use the initial show as an introduction, then dive deeper into each title.

That's my review in a nutshell. Let's hope future events take a note and give us more time to truly appreciate each reveal. What do you guys think?

• zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros polycounter
    I thought it was alright, agree with all of your points above. It was better than last years. I bet it was hard scheduling all the games shown in just a few hours. I feel like these shows need something more, not sure what. Maybe behind-the-scenes into how games are developed, or developer interviews. It definitely has to be a multi-day event, this industry has become massive and games are constantly being released