Home Marmoset

AO between meshes disapear after enabling Ray Tracing?

CrazyMeansCreative
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
CrazyMeansCreative polycounter lvl 2
Any idea on how to get some type of AO between the meshes?

I'm able to get some AO without raytracing (1st picture) but once Ray Tracing is enable it's no more (2nd picture)...

Most of the assets on the render are textured with a trimsheet. 

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! I don't know what you mean exactly by AO is missing in the second image. From what I can tell, cavities/concave corners are even more darkened compared to the first image. 

As far I know, raytracing and raster are two very different renderer, so the result will likely not match. Here is the Toolbag wiki entry: "Lighting"
  • CrazyMeansCreative
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi! I don't know what you mean exactly by AO is missing in the second image. From what I can tell, cavities/concave corners are even more darkened compared to the first image. 

As far I know, raytracing and raster are two very different renderer, so the result will likely not match. Here is the Toolbag wiki entry: "Lighting"
    Oups I messed up on the description of the pictures.. first one is raytracing with no ao and the second one is no raytracing with Ao... I'll look into the link thank you :)
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Ah, I see. I think there's not much you can do, as raytracing simulates all of the lighting in a physically accurate way.

What AO option do you use when using the raster render (raytracing off), Screen-space or Raytraced? I wonder if with the latter, the result is comparable.

Maybe from years looking at real-time renderings, one is used to a certain aesthetic, even if it's not accurate.
  • CrazyMeansCreative
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Ah, I see. I think there's not much you can do, as raytracing simulates all of the lighting in a physically accurate way.

What AO option do you use when using the raster render (raytracing off), Screen-space or Raytraced? I wonder if with the latter, the result is comparable.

Maybe from years looking at real-time renderings, one is used to a certain aesthetic, even if it's not accurate.
    I think the first one? Ray tracing on it's own looks better in general so I guess that I'll just leave it like that x) Thanks for your help!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    You could also render out an all-white ambient occlusion pass and overlay it, if you really want that AO effect.
  • CrazyMeansCreative
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    You could also render out an all-white ambient occlusion pass and overlay it, if you really want that AO effect.
    ohhh I haven't hink about it! that's a good point. I used to do it when i was rendering in Max but completly forgot about it! Thank you!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

AO is a simple (not physically accurate) rendering technique that will darken any surfaces that are near to other surfaces. AO typically produces something closer to a dirt effect than a realistic lighting effect.

In ray-tracing mode, global illumination is used instead - this accurately simulates how light bounces from one surface to another - sometimes this means crevices get darker, but it also means that light bounces and a bright surface next to a darker one will generally mean the brightness of the dark surface increases rather than darkens. It’s an important physical phenomenon to replicate if you’re interested in realistic lighting. The bounce count setting controls how many times light bounces, higher settings are more accurate but can reduce performance.

As Andrew mentioned, you can render out an AO render pass if you want and composite that in post for a stylized/non-realistic effect - just add it to the render pass list in the render object settings.