Home Technical Talk

[Zbrush] Sometimes changes scale of the tool and all the subobjects problem.

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
ZBrush seems to sometimes randomly change the size of the tool and all the subtools. 

Even within Zbrush this is a problem when copying/attaching Subtools between Tools. So if I copy a Subtool from one Tool to the other, they have the same scale and everything works. Then randomly the scale gets wrong and when I copy and paste or attach the Subtools the scale is off.

This is within Zbrush (no 3dsmax export). I tried to set the export scale and offsets in the Tools Panel to the same values for all tools, but this does not solve the problem (it changes the scaling between the subtools but they are still incorrect). Of course the scale is also incorrect for 3dsmax import and export when this happens.

Can someone please explain what could be happening here? 

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I'm afraid this is just one of those ZB eccentricities.... :)

Have a look here http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?195599-Scale-Offset-Copy-Paste

Scroll down to the 'Position-Size-Zplugin.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I'm afraid this is just one of those ZB eccentricities.... :)

Have a look here http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?195599-Scale-Offset-Copy-Paste

Scroll down to the 'Position-Size-Zplugin.

• OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Thanks! I will test it out later.
  • Dodger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to necro a post, but I just showed up here googling the problem and it's 2020, 4 years after this and twelve years after I first noticed the problem, and ZB2121 is STILL doing it.

This is not "just one of those ZB eccentricities" -- this is a bug, and one that they are somewhat obligated to fix for paying users. The fact that this bug persists after over a decade shows they're not really interested in fixing bugs, and just focus on new things to grab attention and sell more licenses.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yo! 2021 and I got the same problem. A web search showed the problem isnt wide spread among users so I suspect its a hiccup. Thanks for the link musashidan. In my case however a click drag with the gizmo + Cntrl pressed then split unmasked solved the problem. If it persists got the answer bookmarked.

Odd to read about pixo's suspected lack of motivation when it comes to bug fixes. Having been a user since 2004, 'pixologic bug' seems an oxymoron at best. Personally been dragged up on adobe, the term 'paying customer' doesn't mean free upgrades and super customer support for almost 2 decades.
  • BakingSoda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently nobody there sees it as an issue or it is "THAT hard to reproduce"...

But I'm in the same position right now. 2024 and still a problem. (Or again?)
    Not sure what causes it. It's the first asset I'm working on that suffers from the issue. Same workflow, same pipeline. Now I just updated to version 2024 and all of a sudden there are a few specific subtools that will change size when I re import the base. I don't understand why it happens.
    Weirdly enough the Scale factor in the Export settings makes a difference when importing. That's unfortunate UI in my opinion.
    I have an older save file of the same tool that does not mess up the scale and behaves as expected. 
    Going there, taking a screenshot of the size and position settings under Geometry and then manually entering those values for the broken subtool of my corrupted tool did the trick.
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Huh so this was my issue with resize all along, news to me idk how i missed this thread, this happen to me and i didn't even realize it until reading this thread.  With the Z2w(mecha) design+newest, interesting, the thread that fixed the issue for me, but adds another application to the list used currently, so i went from zbrush, to max, to blender, to zbrush/+& or to max/ to zbrush.
    Solution for this thread:
    BakingSoda: (said) Going there, taking a screenshot of the size and position settings under Geometry and then manually entering those values for the broken subtool of my corrupted tool did the trick.

Thanks idk why i never had to use that section before, might've avoided adding blender into the mix.