Home Career & Education

AUTOCAD freelancing???

node
I'm a student in Memphis, and I'm working towards getting a job/freelancing in the drafting industry. I realize a lot of people could use my skills in their businesses so i just wanted to ask if anyone has any advice on going to local businesses near me and convincing them to let me take on some of there AutoCAD work. I look and read the job listings for the jobs i'm applying for. 

Anyways, really trying to work so i can move up in my life and although i don't feel passionate about Construction...i do like engineering and cars....I'm taking a test monday at a Floor Plan/Drafting company to see if i can get a position/experience i've talked and known the boss for about a year now and i'm in school currently

Replies

• alfonzx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alfonzx node
    i want to note that i write a ton of companies down and just cold call and send resumes daily with the school work i do
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Based on your posts until now, I get the impression you want to run before you can walk. I would repeat what was suggested to you in another thread: Create a car model start to finish. Probably a step before that is to decide weather you target pre-rendered or real-time (not a vehicle artist, but by looking at recent racing games, much seams to be modelled). Based on that decision you can look for references on execution quality. I wouldn't expect the first completed model to turn out perfect, part of the exercise is go through all the steps involved and learn of the challenges and solutions. You could document your progress on a car in a thread or sketchbook.

If you don't have work samples to show, how do you want to convince people to work with you? If in school and still learning, maybe look for an internship first. Generally I think there not much chance of long-term success jumping into freelance right away, without prior production experience/hard skills.

Good luck!