Home Technical Talk

I need to help

MaX_On
node
Offline / Send Message
MaX_On node
Guys, I have a huge problem. I need a methodology and a pipeline for creating 3d models of complex and simple shapes. It's like I've been standing still for 2 years and I'm not moving from a dead point. Please help me. Tell us how models were made for games such as GTA san andreas or mario 64 or cs go or some AAA projects. I really really need it. There are very few lessons on this topic on the Internet. I want to make props and objects and characters.Thanks for the help. Below are examples of things I can't do.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    the elite 3d stuff is subdivision surface modelling
    the gta stuff is lowpoly modelling. i am sure you can find plenty ressources on both topics.
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    what about game assets pipeline? And how a can make a basemesh for snail?

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Show your models to get feedback on what to improve. Also, what is your goal? Creating characters for games? 
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    My goal is to make props but i don t know the pipeline in addition, you need to start with a blockout. Not every object can be created from simple forms

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    everything you need to know is actually in the first screenshot of the snail.
    if you can not read it, it means you need more experience modelling. just start with ANY beginners guide on modelling and learn how to model.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    literally all objects can be made from simple forms. 

ok - so in order for anyone to help we need to know how far you have got already. 

if you have never opened up a 3d application you're in a very different position from someone who has been learning for some months and needs help on specific issues.

• Rima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rima greentooth
    I don't understand how you've gone two years wanting to learn and not learned anything.

There's a HUGE amount of free resources online for this. Blender's tutorials alone should be enough to take anyone from beginner to at least moderate skill.

Even just looking at those images should tell you a lot.

How about starting by saying exactly what you do know?
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    I can use 3d max, maya, blender,substance painter. I know sub div at a basic level.
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    This is a blockout of my model. I made it a hour. I don't understand the pipeline itself of creating complex shapes, such as cars or something like that. I can model simple things, that's how it is. please read more carefully))
  • MaX_On
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    have you ever googled "3d art for beginners"? Forget fancy AAA lingo like 'pipeline' lol you need to look up introductory tutorials. Everyone's been telling you to search for tutorials online. Please read more carefully

literally first thing I get when I search "modeling car in blender"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGPvxIrobFE

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2
    This site also has a wiki.. and a very famous thread about how to model some "not so easy parts" of a model after the first blockout gave you the general form.. ( even renaming the headline because.. users get too "demanding" ?? )..  it's all there.. since years.. ( and you do not even have to register to see it.. like in other fancy look XY Grrg sites..  :wink: )
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey bud, this course really helped me grasp my understanding of sub-d modeling. I'd suggest getting the hang of sub-d before moving onto game resolution assets, because a lot of times those require sub-d modeling early in the pipeline. If its still the same, you can demo a Pluralsight account for a few days and blitz through this tutorial, but it shows you how you would model complex shapes. Can't recommend it enough.

• MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    Ooh it is 

Error 1009

(((

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    MaX_On said:
    This is a blockout of my model. I made it a hour. I don't understand the pipeline itself of creating complex shapes, such as cars or something like that. I can model simple things, that's how it is...

Well at least it's a reasonable start!

Also by the way was it modeled off of a background reference image or concept art?

I’ll recommend finishing translating each individual blocked piece, into a high resolution (sub divided high poly) artifact free base mesh which in my opinion believe is the actual core issue, preventing further progress.

So here's a few pointers how I’d personally approach unifying complex hard surface shapes into one cohesive object, beginning with this thing's main body:

• Firstly, fairly standard practice while modeling your high is to always keep in mind how your low poly will 'look' in terms of retopologized efficiency because whether portfolio or in-engine optimized game ready model, it's really the only element a player or viewing audience will eventually see, once rendered out.
    • Right then for this example, I'll use an edge control/support loop workflow in Blender, again whilst keeping an eye on creating an intended generated proxy, therefore making the entire process less grinding than it should be i.e. by simply deleting applicable loops.
    • Now the primary cylindrical shape has vertically opposed varying sized intersecting cylinders, located longitudinally along it’s length and since we’re mostly dealing with curved surfaces, selecting optimal segment counts can be crucial. So I chose 34 x 26 x 22 for both main and secondary cylinders respectively, although that being said there’s no rule of thumb per se, other than maintaining a consistent near enough segment match, as follows:

• Next we’ll run a Boolean operation via applying the modifier operand set too Union, thus joining our shapes.

• Typically there’s some cleanup involved, welding stray vertices while we manually cut support loops with the knife tool alongside applying the Mirror modifier, making the job slightly easier.

• Ok, error checking our work, applying a reflective material, smooth shaded topology and Subdivision Surface modifier set too level 2.

• Eyeballing the reference, continuing to sketch plus edge extrude additional detail

• Moving on, basic reuse of existing geometry by duplication, in order to replicate other structural parts of this high poly mesh.

Anyhow, have a crack completing what you’d initially started!

More relevant info:

Frank Polygon’s Sketchbook - practically a hard surface wizard plus helpfully he also authored an in-depth breakdown describing every stage of the current gen pipeline.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @ sacboi,..... greenthumbsup.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As okidoki mentioned above, we have a wiki with tons of curated resources. We even have example character meshes!
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/BaseMesh

And tons of example wireframes to examine and learn from
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/BodyTopology
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Limb_Topology
  • MaX_On
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaX_On node
    guys I understood everything, I found an awesome YouTube channel where there are answers to most of my questions! Thanks for the support! 
    https://www.youtube.com/@OnMars3D it is him
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Lol...guess couldn't let this one go, anyway had actually personally struck a chord remembering how it was when I had started out. Aside from the OP, many have bumped up against the frustrating challenge CG art can often represent...this 3D medium is no two ways about it really f**king hard! technically let alone artistically but all the same utterly rewarding, especially after long hours creating 'THE' thing you've focused a lot of time and effort tweaking into existence plus lets be entirely honest here - not always fun  : / however in my opinion whether a potential career aspiration or simply an amateur pastime. I mean like there's this sort of addicted concentrated mindset, takes over control to further progress ones overall skill just by attempting to generate increasingly better more complex stuff, which is where I think initially a lot of people experience their first, bump in the road.

Nowadays as a novice, they're spoilt for choice in the sheer number of avenues too exploit learning how to create 3D content whether formal academia or online self-taught tutorial based education, practically the "world is indeed your oyster", although that all being said developing our object into something resembling a complete PBR textured asset rather than an uninspiring blinn-phong shaded model, specifically if we're utilizing a FOSS pipeline for those of us on a budget, does tend from the outset very likely laborious to achieve.

Therefore, in order too 'pay-forward' assorted learning's over the years, here's a straightforward approach I've been faffing about with since my earlier post upthread. A kind of pre-vis conceptualized staged process, implementing a rapid iterative paradigm tri-planar PBR material tiled photo sourced image workflow, enabled in the lookdev (material shading) viewport, without UVs or baked data just raw smoothed sub-divided meshes essentially driven through Blender's nodal system plus additionally computed via minimal processing overhead, as well  i.e. a $1300USD off the shelf gaming laptop, Ryzen 7 series CPU - RTX3060 GPU - Memory 16GB, as follows:

Tutorial YT Series:- EEVEE and Cycles Materials System - authored by Mr Chipp Walters