Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demoman Weapon Meets Valorant [Finished]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cerverus94 polycounter lvl 10
I'm uploading the final presentation and the Artstation link:

Link to ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/blWPKn

Hello Polycount!

I'm currently on a short work break, working on my portfolio. I've always been a big fan of Team Fortress 2, especially the Demoman. These days, I've been playing Valorant and wondered what the Demoman's original weapon would look like with Valorant's visual style.

So, I took an early concept of the Grenade Launcher and several screenshots from Valorant.

P.S.: I'm including some screenshots of the current process, and I'll try to update it daily.

Pureref:

Max Highpoly file:

Replies

• cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone! Today,
    I've been working on creating the model in Zbrush and the low-poly version.
    Tomorrow, I'll be doing the UVs and baking.

• HalfAsleepArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HalfAsleepArtist triangle
    Demoman is my favorite class, so I'm looking forward to how this turns out. Good stuff so far!
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much, @HalfAsleepArtist.
    Today, I've completed the projectile and weapon keychain, along with the UVs, and I have baked:

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    good job, but a few pointers:

for valorant i would say the edges feel a bit too roung, they are usually a bit crisper on our end (compared to Overwatch for instance), also your edges are not consistent, the same materials do not have the same edge treatment.
    Also look at some of your UVs, some are awfully close to each other, even tho you have enough empty space to not puzzle them the way you did
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    good job, but a few pointers:

for valorant i would say the edges feel a bit too roung, they are usually a bit crisper on our end (compared to Overwatch for instance), also your edges are not consistent, the same materials do not have the same edge treatment.
    Also look at some of your UVs, some are awfully close to each other, even tho you have enough empty space to not puzzle them the way you did
    Wow! Thank you very much for the advice!Do you think I should redo the entire high poly?
    Today I started texturing a bit, and it looks like this:

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no need to redo, just decide which edge sharpness you want and make sure the others of the same material forllow with the same settings? for valorant, i would go with these 

Not these

i mean it depends on how you built your mesh, but this should be a matter of adjusting a few settings per mesh, no redoing an entire highpoly.
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:

i mean it depends on how you built your mesh, but this should be a matter of adjusting a few settings per mesh, no redoing an entire highpoly.
    Got it! No, I don't think it'll take me much time to redo it.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i assume you are using zbrush bool to soften the edges?
    from my experience on valorant, it doesnt happen.

you have 3dsmax, use the chamfer modifier. if all meshes are in the same scale, the same settings will just work. if meshes are too tight place the control loops by hand, but its all just cylinders here, it really isnt a lot of work
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    i assume you are using zbrush bool to soften the edges?
    from my experience on valorant, it doesnt happen.
    Indeed, I was doing that.

you have 3dsmax, use the chamfer modifier. if all meshes are in the same scale, the same settings will just work. if meshes are too tight place the control loops by hand, but its all just cylinders here, it really isnt a lot of work
    Yes, I use 3Ds Max. I'll keep that in mind!
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having made changes, I have adjusted the UVs to prevent the pieces from being too close together, and I have performed the Baking process with the new highpoly.

• cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope you had a good weekend. I have finished texturing the weapon. Tomorrow, I will start modeling the keychains!

• cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have added the first of the keychains.
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good!
    Let me see if i can get some input here:
    On the UVs, anything that is nearly vertical or horizontal should be perfectly aligned, here are some examples. Even if the uvs become slightly distorted, its worth it so u dont get any aliasing on the model overall.

I would still go back to HP and make some changes, this model has a lot of surface area and if the edges are not fat enough it wont look as interesting as it could.
    You dont need to zbrush this, have you used creases before? This way you can keep a very low density base mesh, and just add a few loops where the model becomes too stretched. We usually use 0.25 crease value on edges.

Here for example, you could make the hole on the outter mesh so that it creates a nice contact shadow on bakes 

For textures, some gradients would make the gun pop a bit more, this technique is also used in characters, where you try to guide the eye to the focus point, which should be the center of the gun.

Edge wear seems to be very small, a 40% increase in size would make it look fuller.

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    riklopes said:
    Looking good!
    On the UVs, anything that is nearly vertical or horizontal should be perfectly aligned, here are some examples. Even if the uvs become slightly distorted, its worth it so u dont get any aliasing on the model overall.

I would still go back to HP and make some changes, this model has a lot of surface area and if the edges are not fat enough it wont look as interesting as it could.
    You dont need to zbrush this, have you used creases before? This way you can keep a very low density base mesh, and just add a few loops where the model becomes too stretched. We usually use 0.25 crease value on edges.

Here for example, you could make the hole on the outter mesh so that it creates a nice contact shadow on bakes 

For textures, some gradients would make the gun pop a bit more, this technique is also used in characters, where you try to guide the eye to the focus point, which should be the center of the gun.

Edge wear seems to be very small, a 40% increase in size would make it look fuller.

great breakdown, learned something myself!

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to thank you guys, I've learned more from your posts in the last week than in the entire week.
    riklopes said:
    Looking good!

I've redone the UVs following your advice, and I think they are now better optimized:

I had never used Crease before. Should it look like this?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the downside of creases vs a quadchamfer is, that the edge density is based on the surrounding geometry. so you'd want the areas around the edges to be somewhat similar in density, so the shading is more equalized.
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    the downside of creases vs a quadchamfer is, that the edge density is based on the surrounding geometry. so you'd want the areas around the edges to be somewhat similar in density, so the shading is more equalized.
    exactly, on very small geo where u cannot have it less dense, u are better of just using plain subd modeling.

I had never used Crease before. Should it look like this?
    can we see some wireframes ? so that i can check how dense it is. because th middle area is looking nice, but the ends are looking too sharp
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes said:
    can we see some wireframes ? so that i can check how dense it is. because th middle area is looking nice, but the ends are looking too sharp
    Sure! Here you go!

• riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that part looks fine what about the rest of the tube? thats what i was talking about.
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes said:
    that part looks fine what about the rest of the tube? thats what i was talking about.
    Oops! I'm sorry. I only did it in that part and put the tube to see how it looks. I just did it, and it looks like this:

• cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry for the double post. I have textured the cosmetic bottle at a resolution of 512x512, and I have finished texturing by applying the advice you gave me the other day:

• riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesoem, its looking nice.
    So regarding the HP edges, i think u can reduce the crease value a little, to make the edges just a little bit softer. not too much tho.

Texture wise the gradients and the edge wear is looking great.
    I would go and add gradients to the shells too, front to back.
    Here are some oportunities to get some gradients going 

I think that you could add some color variation to the edges with a soft edge mask, and slightly making it lighter greyish on metal parts, and just desaturated or yellowish on the green parts. i see that u already have a mask going but thats sharper. 

Regarding the cosmetic, it needs to hold the textures well at 256 resolution.
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have implemented yesterday's feedback. I have reduced the resolution of the cosmetic to 256x256, and I had to remove the date from the bottle because it looked very pixelated, and I didn't like how it turned out at all. 

I think I'll create some secondary weapon or melee weapon.
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, i like the direction of this.
    Now lets add emulate a skylight coming from the top with a mg_light filter which will add just a slight white highlight 

Then a layer using the baked lighting filter (im assuming your using painter?) with passthrough on color

Then show a screengrab of the difuse only.
    We need to make sure the shading of the gun is perceptible without any light source.
    This is what these two layers will give us
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something like this?

• riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but dont let it affect colors too much, just a hint, it basically shades the model so its darker at the bottom and light at the top, dont choose a specific color for the baked lighting, just a gray value and use multipliers or add in order to add it on top of both materials without changing the color too much.
    Also lets add a mask to darken the bottom of the gun, u can use mg light as well, as long as its hitting from the bottom, and make it dark but this time u can add some color, but make sure to do this individually on each material group so that u can choose a color per material type.
    i like to add some Redish browns from the bottom.
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, have you saved a picture of how it was before u implemented any feedback? would be cool to see the before and after.
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think it would be cool to add metal discoloration on the front part of the gun, as it gets hot, metal changes color 
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pre-feedback Texture Lighting:

Post-feedback Texture Lighting:

• riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can i see the difuse only? i think it needs a stronger light bake
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have increased the intensity of the layers a bit:

• riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still looks a bit flat, not sure why. are u able to share the painter file? i can try and dig in a little and maybe give you some more insight
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course, no problem! Check your direct messages
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a before after some tweaks

If you look closely to the maps, u can see the difference on the roughness map, which is very important to get right, mainly having roughness variation between material types, and adding dirt and splotches to make the surface more apealing. 
    Small imperfections is what sells surfaces.
    On the difuse map notice the contact shadowing that happens on close surfaces.
    I forgot to add your gradients on top of this tho.
    Added a Black Metal to some parts to create more variety. 
    this would be a 80% ready texture, just needs more time spent on the edge wear shapes to make it more interesting, and finish off the gradients.

Hope this helps, looking forward to see updates on this!
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much ♥️.
     I'll get to it as soon as I have some time and let you know.
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This morning, I started applying the feedback from @riklopes, and the difference is very noticeable.

I only have one question: how do you create these stains? With a brush or with a texture?

• riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a alpha used on a brush that was made in photoshop using 3 or 4 grayscale values
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its looking great! i think u can make the front part look a bit more metalic maybe
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riklopes said:
    its looking great! i think u can make the front part look a bit more metalic maybe
    Something like that? 
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the roughness on that area still looks weird, too glossy, look at my example 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Henrique going bonkers in depth, nice!
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are absolutely right.
    Something like the roughness map?

• riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you show metallic?
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe increase metallic slight and reduce the roughness a little?
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been creating several renders and putting into practice the visual style of TF2, and it turns out quite well.

I think I'm going to start making the renders.
  • riklopes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes! its looking good! awesome work
  • cerverus94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message