Home Technical Talk

Anyone switched from ZBrush to Blender?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Zack Maxwell interpolator
After the acquisition of ZBrush by Maxon, I'm not willing to pay the large and permanent subscription fees for snail-pace upgrades, but not doing so means I'll have to stop using ZBrush eventually. Whether because it gets outpaced by other software, Maxon stops authorizing perpetual license installations on new hardware, or it just becomes incompatible with later hardware or OS updates. For all I know I won't even be able to install it on my next laptop in a couple years.

So I'm considering just switching right now and using Blender instead, since I'm not aware of a better alternative and it's free anyway.
I then started thinking that if I'm using Blender for sculpting anyway, then I may as well try replacing Maya with it as well.

I'm wondering if anyone else has made that transition and how well it worked out, or if there's a better alternative. Or I guess whether or not this is just a terrible idea.
I've been using Blender for a little while, and I've used it in the past. It does some stuff better, and a lot of stuff worse. It's perfectly functional, but I do miss ZBrush. I miss the marking menus from Maya too.

My experience is that, compared to ZBrush, Blender does have a much better interface, it's easier to customize, it has lots of plugins with much better integration, it uses real 3D without the jacked up perspective ZBrush has, and it's easier to do certain tasks like switching objects while sculpting.
But it also has annoyances like swapping workspaces to add new objects, random bugs that crop up in normal use and have to be squashed (like how the mirror modifier breaks sculpting brushes, and applying the modifier breaks the object origin), the awkward default controls that have to be remapped, the lack of polygroups and layers, or having all masking and clipping functions bound to various independant brushes.
But it's stuff I think I can live with so far, and they'll still keep improving it.

As far as replacing Maya, the modeling/retopology/UV mapping side of things seems fine enough. Though I haven't tried rigging or animating in Blender. At the very least, Blender looks a whole hell of a lot better and doesn't crash or break so much.
Drives me insane that it still makes such poor use of pie menus after all these years, and all the key binds can be overwhelming.

Replies

• rekab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rekab polycounter lvl 8
    I tried replacing Maya and ZBrush with Blender, and in the end, I kicked Maya to the curb, but kept ZBrush.

For my game dev needs, Blender has turned out to be a very suitable replacement for Maya. ZBrush on the other hand, not so much. Blender's sculpting tools are pretty good, but ZBrush has some nice to have features that Blender doesn't, and in my testing, ZBrush can handle waaaaaaaaaaaay higher polycounts than Blender. So, I let my Maya license expire. I haven't signed up for a Maxon ZBrush subscription and won't until/unless they add some new must have feature. Until then, I'll be using my ZBrush 2022 license and crossing my fingers that Blender's sculpting tools improve enough to make the switch for sculpting too.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps!
  • iam717
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth
    Every-time i read blender i feel like we've all been funneled to this type of situation
    Otherwise to stay on topic more, my adventure into blender has been very,very,very slow, if we could edit the u.i. to mimic alternative already learned gui's i would've been on it already, but touching it here and there when i need to or feel like it otherwise, 5 finger discount in continuations with questionable decisions has been working fine for me and if i do not have to i will not change it but will eventually learn more of the blend...which will just end up like every other application, if they haven't already found a way i am sure they will also adopt the a.i. thing and ruin it once they sneak their data harvesters on it after contributing funds to it.  And general thread is all a.i. convo and seems deliberate to piss us off.//offtopic.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check post history of @pior; he's a big proponent of switching to Blender and has had a few wise things to say about the process.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have been usng it for 4 years maybe, totally cool program, though do not sculpt much in it
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    I've been using Blender as my main modeling tool for ages. The only thing I use Maya for these days is for handing off finished assets to our tech artists.

I wish I could say the same for ZBrush, but Blender still definitely has some shortcomings in the sculpting department. Although it does do a lot of stuff better than ZBrush (real perspective camera, real-time lighting and materials, real modeling tools, etc...), there are a couple of things that I just haven't been able to give up. Namely performance at higher polycounts, and layers. I think I could work around the performance issues in many cases, but the lack of support for sculpt layers is still a pretty big deal breaker for me.

I do use Blenders sculpt tools when it makes sense, but I usual end up dropping stuff into ZBrush when I get closer to the finishing stages of an asset.
  • myclay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    The biggest pros for sculpting in Blender (to me) so far are;
    • Blender has real perspective while ZBrush has a somewhat non reliable perspective.
    • Blender allows previewing in Eevee while Sculpting.
      No need to do I/O and send your files to Keyshot or Redshift or whatever renderer there is.

There are other things planned like shown in this video

Sculpting with Dyntopo while preserving Face Sets, UVs, Vertex Colors, and other mesh attributes.

For having Layer support while sculpting in Blender, I would advise to use the commercial Sculpt Layers Addon  which can be purchased at Blendermarket or on Artstation etc.
    https://youtu.be/8-T67eG_VnI

If you want a remesher based on Zremesher (the same developer - Maxime Rouca - worked on both), you could give a look at the commercial Blender plugin of quadremesher.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ive done one job in Maya so cant really comment on it. Modelling and sculpting in Blender is pretty super and its been steadily improving. With the arrival of the multi rez modifier I'm kind of set. However if you are like me and already own zB why not keep using it till it breaks. By the look of things that could take a long while and Blender is being constantly improved in the meantime. Win win.
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    it's 100% worth learning and using, and will likely enhance and/or slowly replace my usage of Modo, which was my to-go. I've been using it for the hair plugin solely, but I'll probably be using it's many other features soon too. I don't think Blender is on par with Zbrush with sculpting yet, it's missing critical stuff like insert mesh brushes, Zspheres.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    For almost the last 3 years, I've brought Blender into my workflow (about) full-time, while working on the "Call of Duty" franchise. I know of quite a few at various COD studios are in fact using Blender as their go-to app, especially in modeling side of things.

IMHO, I think Blender can replace most apps out there as far as all things considered for production uses. With one particular exception. UVs. This aspect of Blender to be said simply, sucks. So Maya or 3rd party uv programs are still very much required. (even with add-ons like Tex-Tools & UV Toolkit, which is to replicate maya's UV Toolkit.) The unwrap algorithms are just not there. Nor is the workflow, where uv's aren't thought of much by Blenders Dev team. Which can be a real headache when trying to explain to them. Because they don't do 3D, nor try to understand, or allow their community to speak openly about production standards, or their competitors software.. like the workflow in removing uv sync, and uv's being always visible, or editable when any component is selected (especially when not in edit mode.)

When it comes to sculpting, I try to tell anyone who asks about it. That "its the upgrade that Mudbox never got.." While its not as plain and simple as Mudbox's UI for sculpting, it has the essential features 'just about' in every technical category that ZBrush provides. Just with a alternative straight-forward approach. As far as how high polycounts get, its really not necessary. Meanwhile ZBrush still holds the crown in this aspect. Its actually been much better to start out in Blender, then use the reliable (that actually works) GoB (Blenders GoZ free-addon) for ZBrush. For final detailing, if necessary. But because its video game related, its easier to handle minor detailing in the texturing with Painter & Photoshop. Otherwise, over detailing models in high poly counts, just wastes ones more time from getting the work finished.

Also, as mentioned already, Evee is amazing. It really helps push to the artist the feedback they'd like to know about their work in real-time. Whether it'd be sub-d modeling, or the sculpting with real-time shadows and materials.

I would state, Blender is behind in the VFX/Cinematic film side of production requirements when handling heavy data, which involves teams doing multiple things at once. But performance has been improving at a snails pace since the launch of 2.8.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Yeah as others have said, performance isn't anywhere close to Zbrush when it comes to sculpting. I'm guessing whatever the linked sculpt layers addon is doing to store its data can and will break easily and make you lose work with any major updates to the sculpt mode? Meaning you'll most likely end up with older work stuck with Blender version X + addon Y at some point?

Having this sculpt mode is great for other purposes though - I use it all the time in place of what would have previously been done with soft selection in Autodesk tools or been sent on a trip to Zbrush for some shape tweaking.

Doing so has made me unlearn Zbrush to some extent. Feels pretty alien these days. I used to live inside that software for a long time but now I'd probably need a week or two of just sculpting to really warm up to it again.

@Matt Fagan Year six here - and the UV tools in Blender still feel totally alien. Like designed backwards or something.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @thomasp re the uv tools, I found them pretty intuitive, I guess you enabled the extra tools like Magic uv?
    I just do the standard thing like mark the seams then unwrap. follow active quads is just cool
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros said:
    it's 100% worth learning and using, and will likely enhance and/or slowly replace my usage of Modo, which was my to-go. I've been using it for the hair plugin solely, but I'll probably be using it's many other features soon too. I don't think Blender is on par with Zbrush with sculpting yet, it's missing critical stuff like insert mesh brushes, Zspheres.

For what its worth, you can regain a lot of the functionality of Insert mesh brushes using geometry nodes and/or instancing. It was, however, a pretty steep learning curve for me to set something up that worked. Now that I've got a setup works reasonably well, I actually prefer it to using IMM brushes in ZBrush. Regarding ZSpheres, you can use the skin modifier as a somewhat hackie substitute.

As others have said, the UV tools could use some work, but I'm with @Ruz on this. It always seemed pretty intuitive to me, and I honestly prefer to UV in Blender. I do like how Blender stores seams and pinned verts, and the "Live Unwrapping" feature is fantastic. With the TexTools addon, UVing seems pretty painless to me. I also love that I can UV symmetrical assets with a mirror modifier, and can set the modifier to automatically offset mirrored UVs. I will admit the whole UV syncing/visibility situation can still be a huge pain in the ass at times.

It has been years since I've UVed anything in Maya, so maybe I'm missing out on some features that have been added since. I'd be curious to know what specific features of Maya's UV tool you miss the most, and what types of assets you're mainly working on.

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Ruz said:
    @thomasp re the uv tools, I found them pretty intuitive, I guess you enabled the extra tools like Magic uv?
    I just do the standard thing like mark the seams then unwrap. follow active quads is just cool

Tools aren't really my problem, it's the basic workflow as pointed out by Matt Fagan. UV visibility vs selectability, UV sync, etc. Just incompatible with me it appears. Thankfully my job doesn't require complex UV mapping or I'd have to either bring in a speciality app or use Autodesk for that. If I need anything done requiring organic UVs these days I still fall back to Roadkill. Old Blender algorithms - but made usable. ;)

Anyway, apologies if this detracts from the topic of sculpting.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, FWIW this could be a valid place where to discuss the shortcomings, even if this is probably more of a Tech Talk topic.

Overall the UV tools are pretty good, but indeed the sync/no sync switch which may sound useful in theory is actually awful in practice and creates serious issues - since it can cause unwanted editing on the "other side" of a seam, so to speak. Like here, as manipulating the edges from one UV island would affect the corresponding ones on the other : 

I've also recently ended up with an annoying error on a complex unwrap, as one piece was overlapping another but the lack of a proper "Show All UVs of currently selected object" caused me to miss it. So that too should be solved by better display options.

So overall the sync/no sync paradigm 100% has to go imho, and should be replaced by a set of straightforward display options (Show All UVs/Show Only Selected UVs).

Now one thing I find even more sorely missing is the ability to space selected UV verts evenly, like in the case of the selected edge here. Is there any addon for this ? I see suggestions of using the Relax brush or even Follow Active Quad, but these don't work in this common case. As far as I am concerned this is the one single thing that is missing - for my own personal workflow that is. The only straightforward workaround I know of consists of first manually snapping the outer verts to the grid, and then relax the rest with the Relax brush with borders locked. But that's still not a proper even spacing, since the snapping forces one to follow a square grid.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Re: UVs again - I believe soft selection/proportional edit also has an issue where it only works if the 'connected' components option is toggled off? Meaning all the visible UV islands are affected and you have to hide and show UV islands like a champ to only edit the part you want to. Or resort to UV sculpting which I find not so great for large scale/soft falloff edits.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah the uv sync used to bother me a bit, but i manage fine with it now. for example I just turn it off most of the time, select the subobject and work on that particular subobject.
    For example say I am uv mapping a hoody, once I have established the seams, I can use 'select linked all' and select by seams, uvs, normals etc. which is a good filter to isolate the bits you want to work on( obviously) Most of the time I would select the whole hoody( subobject face), then work on it with sync all turned off
    if I then deselect in the uv window, the poly faces in the 3d viewport will still remain selected.
    if I am using sync all, I have to select by faces to move the islands around, but by vertex or edge to see where the edges connect, otherwise the connected edges will move also, so yeah toggling between vertex/edge and faces seems the best option.
    MAYA has uv sync also, but you can select uv's rather than vertex, so you don't mess up the edges
    i do agree though, it is a bit awkward and needs to be changed/improved
    Overall maybe the best solution is just to buy the zen uv, which seems pretty good
    https://blendermarket.com/products/zen-uv
    The worst thing i find with uv mapping out of the box is the relax tools, spatially based, not angle based , so its really hard to get the uv squares the same size.(3ds max does it perfectly fine)
    re sculpting I can manage ok, but the brushes have  a different  feel to zbrush which I am not entirelly comfortable wtih yet
    I guess with practice you can get to the right standard

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (moving to Technical Talk)
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp said:
    Re: UVs again - I believe soft selection/proportional edit also has an issue where it only works if the 'connected' components option is toggled off? Meaning all the visible UV islands are affected and you have to hide and show UV islands like a champ to only edit the part you want to. Or resort to UV sculpting which I find not so great for large scale/soft falloff edits.

Seems to work as expected on my end. I'm on the latest version (3.6).
    pior said:
    So overall the sync/no sync paradigm 100% has to go imho, and should be replaced by a set of straightforward display options (Show All UVs/Show Only Selected UVs).
    Agreed, 100%.

pior said:
    Now one thing I find even more sorely missing is the ability to space selected UV verts evenly, like in the case of the selected edge here. Is there any addon for this ? I see suggestions of using the Relax brush or even Follow Active Quad, but these don't work in this common case. As far as I am concerned this is the one single thing that is missing - for my own personal workflow that is. The only straightforward workaround I know of consists of first manually snapping the outer verts to the grid, and then relax the rest with the Relax brush with borders locked. But that's still not a proper even spacing, since the snapping forces one to follow a square grid.
    Ruz said:
    The worst thing i find with uv mapping out of the box is the relax tools, spatially based, not angle based , so its really hard to get the uv squares the same size.(3ds max does it perfectly fine)
    Is this not the behavior you guys are expecting?

I only pinned the corner verts, and it is not strictly necessary for them to be aligned nor snapped to the grid. Maybe this breaks down with more complex geometry?

As far as just spacing specific, selected UVs, yeah, I'm not aware of a way to do that, which seems like a huge miss.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, let's see ! Here on 3.1.0 I can follow up to 2, but 3 gives me the following, accentuating the curvature rather than tensioning it : 

Perhaps you have some extra option enabled, or some special relax brush settings ?

[edit] Alright, 3.6.x seems to have introduced a new setting for the UV Relax brush, making the relaxed UVs conform to the surface quality of the corresponding geometry. Meaning that if the geo follows a clean, flat grid, it will relax as such : 

Now this is useful of course - but still not quite what one would expect, since there are many times when one may need to straighten parts as a squared frame or between arbitrary pinned verts in a way that does *not* conform to the surface quality of the geometry (like for instance all the Guilty Gear Xrd edge details) ...

So as far as I am concerned this goes back to the need for a "space evenly between two verts" tool and a few more specialized straightening tools too.

The above does show that there is work being done on the UV side though. Looks like it is just missing some clear focus/direction.

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @Brandon.LaFrance
    @pior
    i did try something weird, ie pinning  then re running unwrap.
    It worked ok on a more complex mesh
    better than relax brush anyway as you are defining the boundary  and it more or less pays attention to the original geo and can minimize
    distortion
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha, interesting ! Pinning the corners and *then* running the Unwrap command doesn't seem to go quite all the way to fully straightened/relaxed (as I a believe it is still taking the geometry into consideration as opposed to fully operating in UV space) ; but that's helpful nonetheless.

There's always Follow Active Quad, based on one straightened poly in UV space, dictating the straightening of the surrounding - but that really does feel backwards (and limited) ...

https://imgur.com/a/Jwvuigk
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    So orignal unwrap by angle is not so good as the sleeve billows out in the geo, but uv's curl inwards.
    grabbing 2 verts , pinning them and re running the unwrap( by angle)
    gives better results and less distortion as 'by angle' is taking the 3d geometry in to account also

Not perfectly accurate , but  you can keep on re- unwrapping/moving the pinned points until its ok

i wanted to equalize the uv's checkers so i could do a micro fibre bump on the  sleeve
    (cuffs need redoing tbh )

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ruz If you enable "Live Unwrap" from the UV menu, the unwrap will be reevaluated in real-time as you move your pinned verts around.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah, thanks , will give that a try tomorrow. makes sense

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've found that I absolutely love the Crease brush in Blender. If an equivalent exists in ZBrush, I haven't found it.
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    the only 2 things a miss are:

1- no proper support of polygroups in multires
    2- dam standard brush
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Draw Sharp works as Dam Standard
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    @MmAaXx I just find sculpting in blender quite slow compared to zbrush. I am sure with a weeks messing around I could manage,
    but just cycling through sub d levels takes forever. But overall its ok
    I will stick with zbrush for now, but slowly learn the Blender worklow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omr_3nb0jCs

This guy who I watch for his sculpting tutorials has totally switched over to Blender