Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for feedback on my horror game character

I just finished texturing this character and I'm kind of not liking the result, especially the hair, is there anything I could do to make her a bit more realistic? Thanks in advance =)

Replies

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    I think your biggest issue is readability. Everything reads as very flat - all sharing the same kind of specularity. What kind of references did you have for the hair and clothing as I think those are the weakest parts just now. I quite like the face, but it needs more contrast in the texturing and I'm not sure of the anatomy around her neck/shoulders. 
  • SmoothTempest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your biggest issue is readability. Everything reads as very flat - all sharing the same kind of specularity. What kind of references did you have for the hair and clothing as I think those are the weakest parts just now. I quite like the face, but it needs more contrast in the texturing and I'm not sure of the anatomy around her neck/shoulders. 
    Thank you so much! I'll go build more contrast between the different parts of the body. As of the hair, I'll gather up more references and start texturing it from 0. Thanks again  :3
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Aside from the execution, it might help to define a character abstract (if you didn't do so already). What defines this character/creature? How did it become this way? Where does it live? How does it behave/attack (gameplay). Ideally the final design would communicate all that and might give some idea what references to look for. 

Keep it up!
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Figure out where the dress the character wears is from. Even if it's covered in blood, it was still once a dress that would have more well defined cuts and decoration.

Likewise, you've sculpted the approximation of anatomy, but not any discernible anatomy. The hands are literally too thin and blobby, and being a monster is not an excuse. The head and face lack anatomy details that would be even more apparent when mangled in that way.
  • SmoothTempest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    Aside from the execution, it might help to define a character abstract (if you didn't do so already). What defines this character/creature? How did it become this way? Where does it live? How does it behave/attack (gameplay). Ideally the final design would communicate all that and might give some idea what references to look for. 

Keep it up!
    Hey, thank you! I'll definitely do that, as I didn't deepen that much when searching for references.
  • SmoothTempest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio said:
    Figure out where the dress the character wears is from. Even if it's covered in blood, it was still once a dress that would have more well defined cuts and decoration.

Likewise, you've sculpted the approximation of anatomy, but not any discernible anatomy. The hands are literally too thin and blobby, and being a monster is not an excuse. The head and face lack anatomy details that would be even more apparent when mangled in that way.
    Thank you! Yeah, the nightgown looks pretty bland, it kind of looks like a tunic with such little detail.

As for the anatomy, thanks for the feedback! I'm still quite a newbie.