Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Elf/Demon Character - Relearning Character Art (Critique Appreciated)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
StykaSmith polycounter lvl 3
This is my first attempt at a character in almost 4 years and would really appreciate some feedback. I've spent about 2 months on this, the majority of which I spent relearning a lot of ZBrush and anatomy. I'm pretty happy with the overall sculpt, so right now my main focus is on improving the hair. This is my first time using XGen so any tips or advice would be amazing. The jewelry is probably going to be the last thing I do, but wanted to get something started at least. Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    I would gather as much references as you can for how you want the hair to look before jumping right in, it will help a bunch!
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Jumping ahead of yourself to add hair and prop details, when the underlying sculpt needs more work. The torso is lacking in a lot of detail, no boney landmarks, no muscle detail. Even if this is a bust, that's still part of it. The neck doesn't have any of the definition it should. The jaw and mouth look too narrow. There's no definition to the eyes, the eye openings may be too large and the eyeballs may be too large as well.
  • StykaSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio said:
    Jumping ahead of yourself to add hair and prop details, when the underlying sculpt needs more work. The torso is lacking in a lot of detail, no boney landmarks, no muscle detail. Even if this is a bust, that's still part of it. The neck doesn't have any of the definition it should. The jaw and mouth look too narrow. There's no definition to the eyes, the eye openings may be too large and the eyeballs may be too large as well.
    Now that you mentioned it I can’t unsee it. Definitely gonna take some time and get some more anatomy practice in and try and fix those things
  • StykaSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek said:
    I would gather as much references as you can for how you want the hair to look before jumping right in, it will help a bunch!
    That’s helped a lot. Hair has always been a tough spot for me, even in 2D, so I’ve been trying to study the forms more. It’s starting to make more sense so im excited to get back to it after I fix some of the issues with the sculpt
  • pxgeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pxgeek keyframe
    Never easy after coming back from a long break.
    Keep at it!