Home Adobe Substance

How expose Bitmap input for SBSAR?

How do I allow a user to input their own bitmap into a SBSAR that I make?

I'd like to make a normalize tool with Designer, which only normalizes RG and passes through B unchanged. Details here: Normalize (-1,1) in Designer ?

I can't seem to figure out how to expose an input parameter for the graph which allows a bitmap. When I add a Bitmap node, it always links to or embeds my own specific bitmap?

I'd like to publish a SBSAR which others could then use in Player, Blender, Maya, etc. to normalize their own textures. 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I think I found the answer, looking on the Adobe forum for Designer.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/substance-3d-designer-discussions/substance-designer-sbsar-change-bitmaps-within-painter-houdini/m-p/13586749#M2271

inside Substance 3D Designer you can use the input color/grayscale node to create input for your graph. When you'll publish your SBSAR from your graph, it will keep these inputs.

From this, you can create a new graph, drag and drop your new SBSAR and load any image from the Hard Drive by simply drag and dropping them anywhere in the canvas (Substance Designer will turn the images into bitmaps). You can now link any personnal image to the SBSAR inputs.

Inside Substance 3D Painter, the SBSAR will also perfectly work with any custom image you'll import.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    yeah -  the sbsar will expose any graph level input parameters in your sbs plus a couple related to output size/pixel aspect ratio. 

if you want to avoid needing a player/sampler/painter install you can run it through batchtools with a simple script/.bat file or if you need to work at scale it's worth looking at the automation toolkit.
    I don't think any of the DCC plugins will let you save a texture but don't quote me on that.  

side note :
    you'll want to double check the licensing around batchtools and SAT - things have changed a fair bit in recent years (for the better mostly) so i'm not entirely clear on what you can distribute to people without subscription licenses and what you can't

if there's a lot of cost associated you could put a python script together that does the work very easily so don't discount that option.