Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First sculpt : corrections or critiques needed

Hello Artists, I started learning 3D sculpting with anatomy of humans days ago ...

I'll be happy to hear from you guys about it, I'm planning to use this only as a bust , to learn retopo and add details of skin later (no animation).

What kind of things could I correct more for it to be more "human" I still feel his face is a bit off

Also not mastering a lot the tools, ended up with some "bumby parts"

Replies

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

Very nice study. You're hitting feature landmarks; ie. eyes are an eyes width apart, center of pupils align with corners of mouth, bottom of nose align with base of ear lobes, ect. With continued practice you'll get better, facial structure and features are pretty flexable, obviously real life humans are much more varied than idealistic averages.

I beleive your head sculpting will greatly improve by fussing over the largest forms and using larger brushes with lower resolution for longer periods of time.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

There are alot of different approaches to studying artistic anatomy. In the end the method that is most effective for you is the one you feel comfortable with. The one that works for me is sculpting whole figures from the begining. When starting it's important to work quickly making studys. Working on a whole figure gives you the chance to work on every part and most importantly the bits you like the least, or find the most difficult. You will progress faster and your figures will be more balanced.

The above screenshots are from the free to use Daz3D and are excellend references for sculpting. You can turn off the model textures which makes it easier to see form. You can change weight, musculature and scale parts of the model. Daz is a great app to have on a screen beside you while you work.

It looks like you are working in Blender. If so you have the possibility to use a multirez modifier, which is an addon that allows you to go up and down in rezolution while you work. This means you can also work on a quad mesh and will give you more control helping to avoid the pinching nodes you hhave on the side of the scull.

• EmyC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, Thank you for the feedback, You're right I really didn't use "larger brushes" , rushes straight into features before greatly shaping the overall such skull/forehead and good proportions on them. I'll do that next time.

Hello, that's cool about the Daz reference, didn't know about that, as I've sculpted with no ref but imagination or mostly "memory " of what might facial features might be, I think I'll use your method too, also like the idea of having that Daz figure to see and turn around it , will make my life easier than just teaching my face and guessing haha xD

yeah I'm starting to learn blender so I went with his sculpting mode, I'll check the multires modifier and how it should work and apply it .

Will get Daz for that, thank you very much for the tips to both of you :) I hope I'll improve within time, feels it's hard but I'll keep up