Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

what's needed to be good at it

Greet, this is my first work where I used surface noises and alphas on model. I'm not pretty sure how to achieve the best looking wood/metal material by using the noise or should it be only painted. The leather material is entirely painted except creases. I'm aware texturing could be better by adding wears with Height and different colours or dirt marks.

Apart from that I hope the base is good, topology and UV seem to be in order within baked maps. I would highly appreciate every simple comment which could help me improve my work.

Replies

• chien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chien polycounter lvl 13
  • cytronetka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Frigus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frigus polycounter lvl 6

Your high poly looks good but I think you made wood pattern with an alpha right? Its looks a little bit blurry and low res. And your shield's front face has sword cut damages but your amblem looks too clear. Overall nice modelling.

• Hallazeall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hallazeall polygon

Its not bad, but your rendering is killing entire presentation. Id suggest presenting it like this :https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ngqEO

black background is always bad.

You can make those lines way more interesting, They are not really holding anythign atm.

You are using very low rez alphas on your sculpt. On bake and on actuall model it looks like its 512x512 texture. Its also very flat. Even tho its sculpted, it looks like its baked from image in Bitmap2material software.

Rope material doesnt look like rope, its more like dried sausage :D

Overall its alright, but you can make it better!

• cytronetka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You're right, I have used an alpha as a surface noise in ZBrush. The problem I met was that when I tried to make it a little more convex it was getting mountain noise artifacts. Probably it was about the texture quality (sorta blurry) but to be sure I will attach the source file. Next time I will try to find something better cause I don't see the point in sculpting wood besides damages for non-stylized props.

• cytronetka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Many thanks, I have never been good at rendering. I always reach for people to ask for advices. I don't have yet a good sense in picking up high res alphas. Sometimes when I see 2k I just take it as 2k while it looks how u mentioned. That will surely help me to be more conscious.

When I was making ropes I could follow concepts too much, cause sometimes materials are not very well visible and maybe I took it too literally.

I think I have done the render on black background cause I saw neat works which just seemed to be looking fine.

Surely it will take me some time to reach such level of details. For now I'm trying to keep all consistent and technically good.

• Hallazeall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hallazeall polygon

Black or white backgrounds for renders are not completly unviable, but lightning and materials have to be very good to help the viewer see whats going on. You have mix of 3 pieces lacking, and thats what makes it look how it looks.

Even if you pick alpha at whatever res or detail, you still need to sculpt after. Refine detail, sometimes take it back with brushes, maybe its too much. Just placing it on piece and calling it a day is definitly too little work, no matter how great alpha you have.

There was recently God of war Artdump in artstation, you can go and check their sculpts of wood. They are phenomenal.

I see the concept, still think its bad with those lines. If you want to keep on with them, id suggest making lines more interesting that concept. Maybe a pattern on them or twist them:

make it interesting :)

And remember, progress happens over time, not overnight. If you keep going, you will get to place where you will be satisfied with quality of your work :)