Home Technical Talk

Struggling with improving and moving forward

Hello there. I have a question. How do you improve overtime when there is noone around to tell you what you are doing wrong or good?

I've been struggling to keep going cause all I am hearing is that my work is getting worse but noone is telling me why or even giving me any feedback at all to at least have a path to follow.

I have no professional background so I don't know where to look in order to say "okay, that can be improved like that" I Still do not have that skill .

I am in front of a two way road and one is to keep trying and push and the other one is quitting completely cause the lack of communication I am getting in this past year

Replies

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

you have two threads asking for portfolio critique and both of them have some lengthy responses.

If you want more critique, start threads and keep updating them as you go. Ask repeatedly for C&C and never quit on it.

It also helps a lot to try and help other people. If people see you helping, but nobody helping you when you need it, they will feel bad and go out of the way to help you.

And there are many communities you can post to, not just polycount. You can make a thread in one place and copy/paste it to other communities. If you find that some place gets more views or responses then you can focus more energy to that place.

You should not say "I do not have that skill."

You can just compare your art to something similar from some famous game or movie or whatever and carefully note the differences. Do this a bit and suddenly you'll have the skill.

Working alone too long is tough and anybody would quit after awhile so you should make a strong effort to get more involved with communities and try to even get to know some individual people that have mutual interest.

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator

It can be good to get eyes on in the middle of your work, rather than at the end. Keep a journal of one of your projects, here or on a blog or twitter or whatever. It'll keep you accountable, and people can drop in and give their thoughts in a more casual and fluid way, rather than having to do a big writeup on your entire portfolio, which takes a fair bit of time and effort! It is also a good exercise to try and offer your feedback to other people's work - this will develop your critical eye that you can then use on your own work.

To be honest, I don't think there's ever a magic moment where you 'get it'. You just keep going, and every now and then you'll look back at your old work and realise how far you've come.

• chien
    Offline / Send Message
    chien polycounter lvl 13

no proper answer, can ask for help, feedback, study somethings, read documentation, apply what you learned, try new process, destroy it and make it again