Home Technical Talk

UV-place the same trim sheet evenly on several objects

Hi community :-)

For my project I am building a modular kit with Blender.

I have several individual pieces and would like to texture them using a trim sheet.

The problem is that (not least due to the different details like doors and windows) I’ve had trouble getting the UV mapping done accurately so that the individual pieces fit seamlessly with one another. I wonder if there are more clever and efficient ways to unwrap the individual pieces.

Currently I select a single wall, UV-Unwrapped it and then draw the UV shape by eye so that it roughly fits. What is good practice here? Is it possible to use a kind of “snapping” or other options so that the UVs fit together despite their different shapes?

It's not about creating the best possible trim sheet, but about how to cleverly place a trim sheet on different objects in such a way that no transition can be seen. Almost in such a way that each UV corresponds perfectly and analogously to the placement of the previous object.

Is anyone able to help me? Thank you for reading :-)

Replies

• okidoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okidoki polycounter lvl 2

Like i said in the other place.. respect the grid.. or maybe have a look at this addon :

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yep, respect the grid!

Also, architectural trim should be separate geometry from the wall, ideally with its own section of the trim sheet. Then you'll get better shading, and no seams.

Walls can use tiled textures instead of trim sheets, makes a lot of sense especially with wallpaper. Use trim sheets for... you got it, trims!

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Another trick with modular pieces and trim sheets is to texture your pieces as you model them, not afterwards.

That way each new piece can start from the first one, with good UVs already made.

Start with the most complicated piece, the one with the most little bits on it, like a window with casing/trim etc. Then you just copy the textured window and alter the model to make a door, a wall, etc.

Another example... Making a car, you model and texture one wheel, then duplicate the finished wheel 3x to complete the car. Same idea.

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

Those things helps . left >> to copy paste uv value. Right >>> to model with uv syncing automatically