Home Marmoset

Marmoset Toolbag 4.05 exports 16bit normal map as white

wilson66
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wilson66 polycounter lvl 8

I have textured a model in Marmoset Toolbag 4.04, which worked like a charm. Now I have made some detail adjustment to the highres mesh, re-baked the maps in Toolbag 4.05 beta.

Everything looks fine in the viewport, normal map bakes fine. When I export the maps from the texture project though, the normal map is just white. Plain, simple white, nothing on it. All other maps export fine, normal map is unusable.

Great. Any ideas?

Replies

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage

I've had this happen before, and I was able to fix it by messing with a few of the export settings; specifically, resetting it to "Normal", as I recall. But probably worth poking around. To me it seemed like a refresh error essentially, like for some reason it just wasn't quite connecting to the normal map until I changed a setting and forced it to update.

• wilson66
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Deleted the output map, re-created it, set it to something else, set it to normal map, set a different file format. Normal map is displayed correctly in the viewport, it is displayed corretly in the output map thumbnail, but when I export it the map is still completely white.

Will try to re-install Toolbag 4.04. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: Re-installed Toolbag 4.04, export of normal map works again. Re-installed 4.05 and re-exported maps as a test, normal map white again.

Most likely a 'game breaking' bug in 4.05.

EDIT 2: I even tried to set up a completely new texture project directly in 4.05 (imported smart materials from the original project), and the normal map STILL exports as completely white.

I know its a beta, but to overlook that the normal maps can't be exported is pretty weak, guys, seriously.

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage

I think something more particular to your setup might be going on here; I just tested myself in 4.05, and normal maps export as expected.

Not sure what to suggest besides making sure your drivers are up to date?

Hopefully @EarthQuake or someone will stop by soon with some ideas of what might help.

• wilson66
    Offline / Send Message

Yes, my setup maybe. I have discovered something else while testing: Only 16bit normal map exports as white. When I set it to 8bit, the normal map actually exports fine.

Drivers are up to date (nVidia), but I actually installed the newest one very recently. I will try an older driver instead.

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage

Ah, interesting! When I switch over to 16 bit export, mine came out white as well.

I'll post about it in the Marmoset Discord to make sure they see sooner than later.

• wilson66
    Offline / Send Message

Ok, good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I have sent a bug report, and support has already reached out to me. I have sent a scene file for them to investigate. Let's see if they can reproduce and come up with a solution.

• EarthQuake

I'm able to reproduce this, we'll get it fixed for the next build. Thanks for the report!

• EarthQuake

@wilson66 @Joopson

Looks like we have a fix for this in our internal build. So this will be included in 4.05 beta build 2.

In the meantime, make sure the bit-depth for the Project Maps and the Output Maps match, and the textures should export as expected. You can do this in one of two ways:

1. Set the bit-depth to 8-bit in the Output Maps section
    2. Set the bit-depth to 16-bit in the Project maps section (click the gear icon next to the map type to open the options)
  • wilson66
    Offline / Send Message

Wow, that was quick! Thank you! Tested it, and works. When both settings are set to 16bit, the normal map is exported correctly.

• EarthQuake

@wilson66 this has been fixed in build 2, along with a handful of other bugs