Home Technical Talk

3DCoat Mega Thread

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Hello,

My point is not that this panel is too big in and of itself ; what I am trying to say is that would be nice to have some way to have an area somewhere in the UI where one could store some favorite brushes. I am only mentioning the quick access because if it was scalable and dockable, it could perhaps be a solution.

Another solution would be to let allow the user to freely customize the main brush side panel.

But these are just some possible solutions I can imagine. All I am saying is : it would be nice for the user to be able to define their own custom brush panel, somehow.

About the stroke panel : so I guess there is no way to have it be displayed at all times then ? If so that's a bummer, because it would make sculpting a lot more efficient if there was a way to do that..

- - - - -

BTW, I believe I've asked this earlier so I guess I'll asked again : are you part of the dev team, or rather someone hired to post these updates ? There's nothing wrong with either, I am just curious to know if it actually worth discussing limitations and possible new features in this thread.

• bond1
    Offline / Send Message
    bond1 polycounter lvl 2

QUOTE: "what I am trying to say is that would be nice to have some way to have an area somewhere in the UI where one could store some favorite brushes"

Can't you already do this with the "Presets" panel and then dock it wherever you want? With the added benefit that it also stores any specific settings you've made to the brush.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

Hello ! Very nice, I wasn't aware of this panel. Thanks ! :)

• bond1
    Offline / Send Message
    bond1 polycounter lvl 2

You're welcome:) I neglected to notice the presets panel for a long time myself, then I discovered how cool it was to save specific brush configurations, not just for sculpting but in paint mode as well. Love 3D Coat!

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

@bond1 Absolutely, it seems to cover a lot of my needs - even though I still wish there was a way to have the stroke type selector always on screen. This seemingly not being possible really baffles me ...

While we are at it I might as well ask : is there any way to rotate a background once it has been set to locked to camera/viewport ? Because almost all available backgrounds seem to default to a backlit setup once locked, and that makes the feature near unusable.

In other words : I want to rotate a background in a way that fits my needs, and then lock that to the camera without any further changes (as opposed to it reverting to some sort of default angle as it does currently). Is this possible, or is there some clever workaround perhaps ? (outside of editing the HDRs externally...)

• Carlosan
  • Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10

I am not member of development team, you need to contact Andrew directly for any feature request.

• bond1
    Offline / Send Message
    bond1 polycounter lvl 2

After locking a background HDRI, you can still edit the rotation using this button:

Yeah it would be cool to have the stroke type selector always on screen, but I've gotten used to just pressing E to bring it up right where my mouse is on-screen, and is a quick workflow once I got used to it. Coincidentally, saving a brush preset also saves it's stroke type as well.

• Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message

I always switch 2 lighting modes:

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

@bond1 : Oh, that's great ! Foolishly enough I was trying to use the shortcuts I had assigned to rotate env. left/right in order to do just that ... but it turns out that these shortcuts don't do anything in locked mode, even though the icon-based controls do work.

@Carlosan I'd say this is a bug (or missing feature) worth reporting - in my case I'd been wondering about this for weeks now end ended up giving up on it, even though the feature is actually there - just not properly implemented.

I wasn't aware of this double click thing either. It's a bit odd UX-wise but hey, I'll give it a try, who knows ...

Also, is there any clever way to make a preset folder show up first in the list, before Default ?

• pior
    Offline / Send Message

Hi there again 3DC experts.

How does one disable the behavior consisting of the app switching back to the previous tool when one hits a tool hotkey if/when the desired tool is already selected ? As discussed here in this (unsolved) thread on the official forums, with the user mentionning that under some circumstances, pressing the key assigned to "brush" can end up triggering "eraser" :

This is incredibely frustrating and something I've personally mentally set aside as just one of these odd things that 3DC does, but I'd love to get rid of it fully now as it is seriously hindering workflow. FWIW I am using 4.9.74.

• swarmedia83
    Offline / Send Message
    swarmedia83 polycounter lvl 9

Hi. not sure if this is the only place to ask 3DC troubleshooting questions or not. im a bit perplexed w/ an issue concerning seams showing up when i paint around certain parts of my mesh. I have a gray albedo im using to paint over and that shows no seams, but when i paint its very clear in some parts as if no edge padding exists. Now the obvious solution was to just paint on the UV set window, which did rectify it, but i wonder if theres a setting i need to look at so i dont have that issue anymore in the future because the painting on the UV itself can become a bit tedious and probably not the best option when its not just a flat color

• Carlosan
    Offline / Send Message

Try latest version, lot of bugfixing

Discord chat server

https://discord.gg/JcT9ha62