Home Career & Education

Help about direction of studies

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Gikkio polycounter lvl 8

Please i need some help.

Hello I know there have been many such threads, and I apologize if I am repetitive. My situation is one of confusion, I know there is a lot of work to be done and I don’t want to risk going the wrong way to waste, 6 months or worse.

I have done 3d modeling in the past, for a long time. So now I have to study sculpting on ZBrush , I would like to take my “workflow” from Blender to Zbrush completely.

Learning to sculpt Character but I am also interested in small elements that make up a “diorama” etc. .My artistic level is not high. I can't draw. But I have passion and a lot of will. It's not to become a professional, I have a lot of time is only my passion.

I don’t know what path to take. I know it’s necessary to study anatomy, but how to do it? Do I start by studying drawing and then sculpt with ZBrush? Do I need to get books?

I want to be able to be “free” to create a diorama, o what i want. Free to work with art, have fun create characters but maybe even the chair he is sitting on. ;)

I’m tired of depending on 3d for everything I do. I want to be able to sculpt it. maybe not very well, I know I’m not gifted at art, but I want to be able to do it, study it with passion.

To do that I have to know "WHICH ROAD" to take...

How do I start, what should I do, a program an outline of what to study.

Can you give me some advice please? I need to learn "general" artistic sculpt. ty

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

Just do it. Thats the trick. You get better over time.

Art is like swimming you cant learn it without doing.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character

You could sculpt in blender as well , check speedchar guy of flipped normals

• Gikkio
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8

so I start by sculpting what "happens" human figures and whatever comes my way?

• Eric Chadwick

Start drawing. Draw things you see in real life. Draw every day. Look at books on how to draw humans, and add their techniques into your drawings. Repeat.

Drawing is a fundamental skill, which will improve all your other art skills. There are 3d artists who don't know how to draw, but the ones who do draw get better faster.

As you improve at drawing, you will be training your eyes how to see, how to translate shapes and forms into 2d and 3d art.

• Gikkio
    Offline / Send Message
    Gikkio polycounter lvl 8

This is the best suggestion I have been given. THANK YOU

Everywhere especially on youtube I see tutorials where it specifically says you don't need to draw It confirms that by now, the arrogance of some tubers combined with lack of competence is lowering the artistic level in everything. 

A colleague of mine (an artist for years) explained some things to me about art, perception, in the way of seeing things, and they are such simple and obvious things that I should have figured them out myself. I started working with the Edwards method: with " Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" .

It is true, even in 3d, I always noticed "a block" something was wrong with my renders, something artistic was missing. Now with a few jobs I am correcting the "errors of perception" and have discovered another world really. If you hadn't advised me to draw I would never have understood it. 

I am getting better, I am learning to read shapes and think "like an artist," it is also fun. It's a path of patience. First I re-learn, then I start drawing human forms, and from there I will access sculpture in the right way. It will take time but patience. I draw 200 times better than when I started, I'm still poor but now I know I'm on the right path. 

If someone who saw my porfolio had told me from the beginning "man you need to improve your artistic perception, draw! " I wouldn't have lost 12 years of bad 3d. My fault. Unfortunately the forums are dead, this is THE only one that works. 

Thank you so much for the advice! 

• Eric Chadwick

Glad it helps!

Another bit of advice, share your art, make a Topic and post your works in progress, asking for feedback.

You can use the advice to improve, and to engage with others.