Home Adobe Substance

Seams visible on normal map baking.

naman
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
naman node

Hello,

I have been working on this project. Eventually I am stuck right now. I am baking this model in substance painter but the seams are visible. I have tried everything I know. Please help me. I am attaching the files and screenshots here.

The Uvs are properly cut and perfectly layout.

HERE ARE THE FILES. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18sNKBvpCHFcS3iHUA2atSRBvD1YKmjJp?usp=sharing

Replies

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter

It's ok seams . My advice don't waste your time on things nobody would ever notice .

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hey! The seams show because the UVs are not aligned with pixel grid, combined with low texture resolution (what's your target resolution?) Knowing this, you could try different UV unwraps to reduce the visibility (eg. unwrap cylindrical shapes as strips, stack UVs for similar parts to maximize texture space). Looking at your UVs you have some borders that could be easily straightened.

Attached a file with straightened UV borders, give it a try, if makes any difference:

• naman
    Offline / Send Message
    naman node

Nope, It doesn't work. I don't understand why I am having this issue.

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Texture resolution also matters, especially with tight edges. Looking at the blurryness of the welding seams your screenshots it might be too low.

Maybe this page from Painter documentation helps you:

Good luck!

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

On a (perhaps) unrelated note, you also have another issue with these low.fbx files (both your original and the edit) : they suffer from having plenty of hard edges right in the middle of smooth surfaces (handles, cylinders, and so on). These have no use whatsoever and will only make the asset harder to deal with since you'll be asking your normalmap to compensate for something it shouldn't have to. As seen here in FBXReview :

That said, these hard edges do not seem to be present on your screenshots. So perhaps this is an issue with your export settings introducing them, or some conversion you've performed somewhere in the process.

• naman
    Offline / Send Message
    naman node

I applied soften edge on my low poly, but still having the issue. Please try to bake it if possible and if you can fix it somehow it will be very helpful.

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Hi there,

Doing test bakes at this time is pretty much pointless. If we assume that the low.fbx you provided is indeed the one that you were actually using for your bakes (and not some re-export coming from a later step in your process), then the only thing for you to do for now is to figure out why these edges show up on your exported low in FBXReview.

• Zoddo
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5

It's because your seams are at the part of your mesh that angles, try to add a loop just away from the edge and rebake and see if it works.

this usually works for me.

• naman
    Offline / Send Message
    naman node

It's substance painter problem. But when I tried to bake in marmoset, the results were amazing. I also tried some other projects and the issue is same. It's just substance painter is not good for showing bake. For render use marmoset.