Home Adobe Substance

[Help] Triplanar Projection create lines, NOT UV seams, any ideas?

Hey all,

Scratching my head over this and hoping peeps can help. I am projecting a Perlin Noise texture to a cup. If I use a triplanar projection these odd lines and artifacts appear that are clearly inline with the wireframe (see images 1 & 2). The same texture using UV projection works fine (see image 3). In fact, blurring the triplanar also fixes the issue (see image 4) but then this obviously causes some issues at the UV seams. In image 5 you can faintly see that the wireframe lines are actually appearing in the triplanar projected texture.

To my knowledge, the bake is fine, the smoothing groups are fine. The issue isn't just within Substance, the lines export within the normal map and appear in Marmoset.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Interesting, could you share a mesh to test this with (or screenshot of layer/mask/noise)? Can't reproduce this in PreviewSphere sample project.

• Faceface1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Made a very quick mock up. Here's how to repro the issue; it happens with or without baking.

Start new project with cup_low.fbx

Create a Fill layer, set to affect height only, set height to -0.2

Add black mask to layer.

Add fill to mask, set to 3D Perlin noise.

The lines are, for me, present, and become more so if the Perlin noise is scaled up.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey! Do you tri planar project "3D Perlin Noise"? It's not clear to me from reading the posts :P If you do, I doubt it's indented like that, since the generated noise texture is based on the baked position map. I would just tri planar project regular "Perlin Noise".

• Faceface1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It happens with both methods, regardless. I think this just an issue, since it does actually happen on the sample projects - this image is from the MeetMat body, at the hip. I think it's just far less noticeable because the geometry is at a higher division. I think my cup just needs more geometry, if I want the camera that close.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ok, with your mesh I was able to get the lines show with a tri planar projected perlin noise too. It might be because of the mesh being low resolution, as you said, but I really don't know 🙃 Maybe someone else does. Whenever I use projected noise, it's typically small scale, so it's not that apparent. Well, I hope you find a way around this 🤞

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

I think it's behaving correctly

The result is intrinsically tied to the shape of the object you feed it so as you suggest you need more geometry or a position map baked from an asset with more geometry