Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][UE5] Skeleton Warrior

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
SomeAB polycounter lvl 3

So I wanted to practice some character anatomy on the side as well, and to get more familiar with Zbrush. I have chosen this 2D concept by Christoffer Svensson, to remake in 3D for practice.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9Zmaq

• - The angle is a bit challenging, which is a good reason for me to go with this.
  • - I really like the feel of it, and textures.. a cool stylized look

Replies

• SomeAB
    Offline / Send Message
    SomeAB polycounter lvl 3

So I already started with it in Blender, posed it over there, and then brought it into Zbrush, here is the first screenshot (step 1 and step 2)

• - I think the lower jaw is a bit too thin to do in sculpting, and as such I have left it to be done in modelling in blender.
    • - Same for the exposed neck/back bone.

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

Hi! I would make some adjustments to the pose to ensure it works well in 3d. Could start with a modified base skeleton (use rigify?), then sculpt individual meshes and parent them to bones, finally add cloth layer top.

Good luck!

• SomeAB
    Offline / Send Message
    SomeAB polycounter lvl 3

yeah, when I did the camera match.. I saw that the sword hand is slightly off, and the other hand too needs a proper posturing. I didn't start putting in the details because in next 1-2 sittins, I want to fix all the posture related issues. Some marginal alignment errors are expected, since 2D concepts aren't always persepective wise correct, but yeah thanks for pointing it out.

• SomeAB
    Offline / Send Message
    SomeAB polycounter lvl 3

Okay I redid the base pose, the head has been left in straight forward and will be rotated later (so for now I can make use of X symmetry while sculpting), but the rest has been improved significantly. @Fabi_G what do you think?

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, looks like a good base 👍️

• SomeAB
    Offline / Send Message
    SomeAB polycounter lvl 3

Sculpted the head, to something good enough. While keeping symmetry and making some conscious changes to the skull to adapt it to Realtime 3D space. It still is to be rotated a bit later (right now facing forward). But I'm pretty happy with it.

• Fabi_G
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, nice progress! I think you can push the large shapes of the skull more, e.g. the far side still looks bit flat, no cheek bone protruding.

• SomeAB
    Offline / Send Message
    SomeAB polycounter lvl 3

hmm, yeah getting a lot more comfortable with Zbrush.. day-by-day. Not much progress, had some real life stuff.. but gently working out the broad shapes.

• iam717
    Offline / Send Message
    iam717 greentooth

Before you get too far, i would recommend you do all the shaping 1st, before the details so like carving as a carver would play-dough for instance or wood, then etch in the details, you can also go far into making teeth separate or download some & credit that you used those assets to be fair and then add in the details, good luck looking forward to this as long as i can post, lol that is.

What helped me is concentrating on the shapes 1st then attempting to tackle one part say teeth only for a whole day or more, instead of jumping around the model, once i do this all around the model then i go over it again or redo parts that i feel are "lacking", attempting to always push it further with each time.

For instance, i once had to redo something 3 times or more till i was happy with it (on "free-time/personal stuff")

For the arm bone you can use cylindrical objects and put them close to each-other instead of masking and punching a whole into a mesh.

Some youtube videos on how some people are tackling similar subjects might help you a lot as they will mention tricks/tips that will push things and your work forward "quicker" if you utilize them.