Home General Discussion

Web 3.0 & the Metaverses

Since we are in the Web 3.0 era, and we can already see many Metaverses launching and many players are adapting already. Would you as a 3D artist consider working in this space and get paid in Crypto Currency ?

There are many thought but let's see what the community will say : Share you thought !

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool

Personally i think most crypto, are like stocks, the more you buy, the more its worth, hence the more people that "got in early" make. Basically a ponzi scheme. Added to the fact to the lack of Regulation, wich basically makes me frown when big companies go thru those routes, as dubious practises can be used to prey on people, as you can see by the ammount of BSC\ETH token scams around that all are mostly pump and dumps.

Honestly the only cool functionality of "web 3.0" is the blockchain technology of an inmutable database that you can empirically track every transaction and its legitimacy thru anonimity, could be really usefull for medical\voting stuff and other types of big databases that require permanent hosting.

Games wise i stay away due to the overall reasons i gave.

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

Crypto doesn't check out for me as a valid kind of payment. The only use I'd have for it is to exchange it for currency first thing and as we can see the value fluctuates wildly - currently way down. Getting onto that horse these days makes even my most risky stock market bets seem sane by comparison. And I'm saying that as a member of the meme-stock crowd. ;)

Other than that, making content is not the issue for me - I don't really care if its for a game or whatever, just the payment would have to be different.

That being said I do not see much utility in what's being proposed as metaverse so far. Seems more like a rebranding and refocusing effort of a certain company to me. Either that or I'm not reading about the actually cool stuff you could come up with for it. As it stands glorified chatrooms in VR wouldn't be something I can see taking off in a big way.

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

I don't think anyone is going to build a Metaverse in the next 20 years, but I do think current games/simulations will keep slowly moving towards the idea of a Metaverse. How impactful that will be? Probably too early to tell.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

fuck no

and also

fuck no

I'm of an age where I've found myself working on most of the big new things that everyone claimed were revolutionary and world changing (web 2.0, machine learning, AR/VR etc. and they've all fallen on their face until a decade later when the world is ready to actually use them (except VR/AR, that's worthless until we get brain implants)

Most of these business are started by people looking to ride the hype and make a quick fortune from the 2 years of intiial investment - after which they shutter the company and piss off into the sunset with their new ferrari .

its possible i might be slightly cynical ofc

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter

Crypto sounded OK until I found out the insane environmental impact it causes. I can't allow myself to be part of that. Everything is on fire constantly due to climate change, yet people want to make games that utilize nfts which have high carbon footprints. Nah, I'm good.

• Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

I'd sooner ask somebody to pay me with cattle.

it has no value unless everybody is using it. And I don't foresee everybody using it because in the next 50-100 years millions of people will be killing each other over water and land so people are going to suddenly remember what wealth and value actually is - e.g. nothing that exist in make believe land inside a computer.

The feeling I get from the prophets of crypto is same as any MLM or other cultish gimmicks. Always a lot of hyperbole, nothing really makes any sense, and new disciples are sought with feverish zeal. It's weird.

Also, if majority of people are somehow brainwashed into plugging into a metaverse for most of their waking hours, I'm going around to steal all their stuff.

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

I genuinely believe that anyone attempting to link "tHe MeTaVeRsE" and "WeBtHrEe" in a single sentence is either technologically illiterate, or incredibly gullible, or shilling for some scam. Attempts at the "MeTaVeRsE" are just freaking MMOs like the hundreds that came before ; and there is nothing magical or ground-breaking about encrypted peer-to-peer validation. That's not a "new era". Hence the flag of the OP as spam ...

As for the uses of decentralized validation : it is IMHO the complete opposite of a safe way of doing things and absolutely not the way medical or payment data should be handled, because the whole system relies on lack of trust - whereas good, long lasting businesses are all built on mutual trust, accountability and transparency ... as well as the ability to remove ones personal record if so desired. The reason why everyone is fine with buying games on Steam using good old money is because Valve has a pristine reputation, people trust them. Same goes for Paypal. Whereas no one outside of the cryptobro sphere is interested in EA's attempts at pushing "NFTs" and "cRyPtO".

Wassa-wassa-wassuuuup !

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK3yuxrmCac