Home Technical Talk

3ds Max to Blender Nit-Picks

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Pdude2K7 polycounter lvl 13

Hey guys,

As someone who has transitioned into using Blender full time both professionally and for personal work. I have a few

nit-picks that I'd like to share and see if anyone can offer some insight as to how to approach them effectively.

1. When switching between selections (Vertex, edge, polygon), they aren't remembered on an individual basis but are almost always converted unlike in Max where each sub-object level has it's own, non shared, selection.
  2. No strong ring/loop tools (Even with LoopTools and Loopanar) for selecting every N edge or growing selection from edge without it failing on open edges etc.
  3. When subdividing (Connect in Max) a loop you cant slide out the edges to the sides or center without doing it one by one. This one is a big issue for subdiv modeling.
  4. When extruding open edges (Using shift in Max), you cant extrude along two axis precisely (The closest is holding Ctrl and right-clicking but that is along all 3 axis).
  5. No ability to select backfaces without XRay mode or funky addons (That switch to XRay mode).
  6. No edit poly modifier and weak modifier stack (No Collapse To, copy and paste modifier on the same object without copying to temporary before etc).
  7. No object instancing with modifiers and everything on top of it, this is a big one. I know I can instance the collection but it isn't the same.
  8. Bizarre UV workflow, nuff' said...

That's it for now. Sorry for the rant and I truly hope some one help me improve my workflow as I've tried most of the addons and techniques out there and I love Blender (The viewport, UI, workflow, addons, Geometry Nodes, Eevee and Cycles, and much of everything else).

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

I changed from Max to Blender about 5 ys ago I think instead of seeking solutions to the tools its easier to seek Blender methods for achieving the desired result. The interwebs are your friend.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"I think instead of seeking solutions to the tools its easier to seek Blender methods for achieving the desired result. The interwebs are your friend."

Precisely!

About 3 - 4 mths ago after a hardware upgrade alongside taking a leap of faith, sucking it up decided too partially learn blender's latest trunk build 3.x.x in terms of hard surface techniques plus that's on top of transitioning away from the now legacy 2.7.x version.

So I looked around for a helping hand, in the process settled on these guys:

Personally thus far, it's been a total about-face coming from a conventional edge modeling subd background although at the same time highly educational activity.