Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max/Vray] Issue exporting .AVI turnaround

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
zippper4 polycounter lvl 4

Hello, i'm having difficulties rendering a scene using a Physical camera path constrained and following a circle spline.

When i check the result opening the .AVI, the video is really small, duplicated 4 time (i don't know why either) and squished at the bottom of the screen why is that ?

Here it's the rendering scene, it's basically a camera rigged to a spline and following it. The camera is not upside down, everything looks fine.

Here is my render options :

Here is what i see at the end with VLC:

Does anyone had this issue before ?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick

Most video players can't play an AVI with an MPEG codec.

Your best bet is to render from Max as sequential bitmaps, then compile/compress those into a video using another program.

Rendering straight into a video file has two disadvantages. 1) If the render fails for whatever reason, it won't finish compiling the video file and you lose all the frames it spent time rendering. 2) Max has limited options for video compression; it's just not made for that.

If you render out to bitmaps and it fails partway through, you can restart the render from that frame onwards, saving time.

If you render out to bitmaps, you can use the built-in RAM Player in Max to play back sequential bitmaps. It has a nice A/B compare function, scrubbing, etc.

If you really hate having to compile a video afterwards, you can try rendering to an AVI using "uncompressed" mode. It'll make a huge file, but if it doesn't fail you should be able to play it right afterwards. May be choppy though, if your CPU isn't strong enough.

• zippper4
    Offline / Send Message

Hello thanks for your answer, okay i understand, the thing that i didn't mentionned earlier is that i've tried with sequential JPGs as well but images are still the same on each file, it's really small on the bottom with a huge black part and i don't know why ?

I've checked all of the options, changed cameras etc. but in the final render i still have this problem. I don't know where it cames from ?

• Eric Chadwick

What version of 3ds Max is this?

The camera in the viewport does not look like a standard VRayPhysicalCamera. How did you create it?

• zippper4
    Offline / Send Message

The software version is 3ds max 2023 and the type of camera i'm using in the scene is a "VRayPhysicalCamera"

• Eric Chadwick

Ok that all sounds good. Try resetting V-Ray, by switching the renderer to Scanline, then back to V-Ray. This should reset the camera params in Render Setup.

• zippper4
    Offline / Send Message

Sorry for the delay, i'm going to test right now and get back here afterwards thanks!

EDIT : Wow thank you very much it works! :)

• Eric Chadwick

Yay!

There's a section in Render Setup where you can override camera behavior, so you might have had some weird settings in there.

I do use that section sometimes for rendering fisheye lenses, panoramas, etc.

• zippper4
    Offline / Send Message

Okay that's good to know! By the way here it's the final render :)